The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Crew Switching

Must be evaluation time for MLB umpires. Most everyone is working on different crews right now and there a still six to eight AAA umpires filling in for vacations or injuries.

Post season consideration must be getting the final decision time with umpires working with different crews right now.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

For your own good, don't bring up anything related to MLB umpires. Odds are you'll either be called a jocksniffer or asked where Greg Gibson is renting his car from this week.

But I noticed that as well, and I think it's just a matter of getting the better umpires working bigger games, though that seems to be most games this year, especially in the NL. *exhale*
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Actually it was rather nice watching the AAA guys do 2-man today.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
Noticed Randy Marsh and his crew is doing a back to back series in boston.The only difference is Sam Holbrook is back and Angel Hernandez is not. Any reason they left the same crew to do the same team back to back?
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyman51
Noticed Randy Marsh and his crew is doing a back to back series in boston.The only difference is Sam Holbrook is back and Angel Hernandez is not. Any reason they left the same crew to do the same team back to back?

Good question. Same thing happened in Detroit with Gary Darling.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Good question. Same thing happened in Detroit with Gary Darling.
Night games that turned around into day games on Monday.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Night games that turned around into day games on Monday.
So? Hasn't this happened before?
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I apologize for answering your question. I knew you were going to shoot back with some stupid response even when I considered replying to your original post. I should have known better and deferred to the "expert" MLB jock sniffer & stalker.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2006, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Probably. And, keeping the same crew in the same city for the next series has happened before as well.
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to goyanksgonj Send a message via Yahoo to goyanksgonj
Must be serious evaluation time for AAA guys. Why it would be during, for some teams, the biggest games of the season, is beyond me, but, anyway. I mean, just among CC's, we've got 7 of the 15 with assignments this week taking a back seat, not to mention that there are always two crews on vacation in any given week (BTW, if anyone knows which ones these are for this week, please let me know, thanks). Plus, there's 4 other ones out of the rest of the staff taking a back seat (although, one of those is filling-in as the possible associate CC on another crew, and the other two, between them, I believe, have worked one game the entire year). Now, I guess it's really not fair to talk about Brinkman being taking a back seat, since I believe he's retired, as injuries wouldn't allow him to complete the season. We already had another one of these situations come up earlier this season (Craft), but at least we know already which AAA guy took that spot. In Brinkman's case, there's two things that need to be considered. First of all, which AAA guy took that spot. And, second of all, which non-CC was promoted to CC? The MLB.com Umpires section is really slow in getting updated, and the WUA Web site is even worse. They never made any mention of congratulating Craft on his retirement, or Barksdale on his promotion. They didn't even bother to update the crew listings there to reflect that retirement and promotion, not to mention Brinkman's. And their list of AAA guys that worked games is so out-of-date, it's really not funny anymore. I mean, even on the MLB.com Umpires section, they need to change Cuzzi's biography for the 2nd consecutive year to reflect his number change, not to mention spelling Dreckman right. Also, not ever reflected in their AAA roster was the addition for this year of Mike Estabrook. I mean, they did update the crew listings and staff roster to reflect Craft's retirement and Barksdale's promotion. But, again, nothing when it comes to Brinkman. Joe West's site is actually worse. He's been saying the '06 roster is coming soon for practically the entire season, and doesn't even have the AAA roster. His crew listings are, like the WUA ones, from the beginning of the season. Oops, I forgot one thing. Neither the WUA nor Joe West's sites bothered to mention this year's All-Star game crew. The WUA also has a sort of "Ask the Ump" feature. That hasn't been updated in almost two years, as it has T. Welke's crew from '04. Then again, neither has MLB.com updated their rules question column, nor their own "Ask the Ump" column, in quite a while.

If anybody possibly has information on the Brinkman situation, would you mind passing it along? Thanks. And, if you're from one of the Web sites I picked apart above, I hate to say it, but you might want to try and taking most, if not all, of my suggestions.
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

goyanksgonj:

how important do you think the umpires page at MLB.com is to the MLB staff? im going to go with it being the least important section that they maintain on their entire system. they probably do not even care about how up to date it is, because 99.99742% of the people clicking on MLB.com are going for game scores, team schedules, team news, statistics, or the shop sections.

the umpiring section on MLB.com is probably not even important to 80+% of the people on this very forum, which are all baseball umpires.
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanksgonj
Must be serious evaluation time for AAA guys. Why it would be during, for some teams, the biggest games of the season, is beyond me, but, anyway. I mean, just among CC's, we've got 7 of the 15 with assignments this week taking a back seat, not to mention that there are always two crews on vacation in any given week (BTW, if anyone knows which ones these are for this week, please let me know, thanks). Plus, there's 4 other ones out of the rest of the staff taking a back seat (although, one of those is filling-in as the possible associate CC on another crew, and the other two, between them, I believe, have worked one game the entire year). Now, I guess it's really not fair to talk about Brinkman being taking a back seat, since I believe he's retired, as injuries wouldn't allow him to complete the season. We already had another one of these situations come up earlier this season (Craft), but at least we know already which AAA guy took that spot. In Brinkman's case, there's two things that need to be considered. First of all, which AAA guy took that spot. And, second of all, which non-CC was promoted to CC? The MLB.com Umpires section is really slow in getting updated, and the WUA Web site is even worse. They never made any mention of congratulating Craft on his retirement, or Barksdale on his promotion. They didn't even bother to update the crew listings there to reflect that retirement and promotion, not to mention Brinkman's. And their list of AAA guys that worked games is so out-of-date, it's really not funny anymore. I mean, even on the MLB.com Umpires section, they need to change Cuzzi's biography for the 2nd consecutive year to reflect his number change, not to mention spelling Dreckman right. Also, not ever reflected in their AAA roster was the addition for this year of Mike Estabrook. I mean, they did update the crew listings and staff roster to reflect Craft's retirement and Barksdale's promotion. But, again, nothing when it comes to Brinkman. Joe West's site is actually worse. He's been saying the '06 roster is coming soon for practically the entire season, and doesn't even have the AAA roster. His crew listings are, like the WUA ones, from the beginning of the season. Oops, I forgot one thing. Neither the WUA nor Joe West's sites bothered to mention this year's All-Star game crew. The WUA also has a sort of "Ask the Ump" feature. That hasn't been updated in almost two years, as it has T. Welke's crew from '04. Then again, neither has MLB.com updated their rules question column, nor their own "Ask the Ump" column, in quite a while.

If anybody possibly has information on the Brinkman situation, would you mind passing it along? Thanks. And, if you're from one of the Web sites I picked apart above, I hate to say it, but you might want to try and taking most, if not all, of my suggestions.
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanksgonj

Why did you have to send this as 5 PMs to at least me, if not others?
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why did you have to send this as 5 PMs to at least me, if not others?
Simple: It wouldn't fit into one. And, FYI, you were the only one I sent this to as PM's, because I figured you might have insider information that you might be willing to share with individuals, but not with the whole forum.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

I really do have to believe that somebody knows something. Speak now or forever hold your peace.