The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
There are a couple of situations that do not need a mechanic or a verbal.
An obvious catch of a batted ball in flight, a foul ball batted directly back to the screen (or into the parking lot).

As far as the pull the string thing, if it is strike 3 looking, I'm ringin it up and selling it big. Most coaches teach to protect the plate with 2 strikes, if I don't sell this one, I think it leaves room for someone to think/say that I wasn't confident in my judgement.

Uncle George,
From your post it seems like you don't like to sell the close calls

but on routine plays you still use mechanics

I find this system very curious.
I'm not afraid of selling close calls. I belive that when you "sell the call", it most often brings out the coach to protest the call. It seems the closer the call, the louder you get, the trouble you're going to get into! You simply say "out" or "safe", head for you next position! What's the purpose/benefit of screaming the call? The runner is either out or safe. It's as simple as that!
Again, in my post, the VETERAN UMP said the state association wanted a call, either verbal or physical, on each play!

Last edited by Uncle George; Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 08:29am.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
This means I know need to "trim" my crew.

Am I going to lose my spot?

Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle George
I'm not afraid of selling close calls. I belive that when you "sell the call", it most often brings out the coach to protest the call. It seems the closer the call, the louder you get, the trouble you're going to get into! You simply say "out" or "safe", head for you next position! What's the purpose/benefit of screaming the call? The runner is either out or safe. It's as simple as that!
Again, in my post, the VETERAN UMP said the state association wanted a call, either verbal or physical, on each play!
IMO, selling the call emphatically is more likely to keep the coach in the dugout and not selling is more likely to invite a “conversation.”

I don’t know how much experience you have or what levels of ball you work, but let me offer some food for thought;
1) A veteran umpire in my association, when starting in the ‘A’ position, takes every play at first base in foul territory.
2) Another veteran umpire I know, when working the plate, insists on taking the batter-runner into second base if the ball is overthrown at first. That is, no runners on, ground ball batted to F6 who throws wild to F3 covering first base. This veteran insists that BU stay with the ball (to rule on in play/out of play) while PU hustles into the infield to rule on possible plays on BR.

I could go on and on....

Moral of the story- veteran doesn’t necessarily mean good or right.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
As I said, the VETERAN UMP said the state association wants a call, verbal or visual, on every situation where there was a play!
There are a lot of veteran umpires who have one year of experience 30 times. And many college umpires are just available for Wednesday noon doubleheaders while others are at work.

I know what they teach at school. Routine fly balls caught above the waist are not given a visual signal.

FWIW, I think Uncle George is a troll, but I haven't figured out who, yet....
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
IMO, selling the call emphatically is more likely to keep the coach in the dugout and not selling is more likely to invite a “conversation.”

I don’t know how much experience you have or what levels of ball you work, but let me offer some food for thought;
1) A veteran umpire in my association, when starting in the ‘A’ position, takes every play at first base in foul territory.
2) Another veteran umpire I know, when working the plate, insists on taking the batter-runner into second base if the ball is overthrown at first. That is, no runners on, ground ball batted to F6 who throws wild to F3 covering first base. This veteran insists that BU stay with the ball (to rule on in play/out of play) while PU hustles into the infield to rule on possible plays on BR.

I could go on and on....

Moral of the story- veteran doesn’t necessarily mean good or right.
What's wrong with #2, other than "it's not how it's taught?"

I'm at the 45 foot line and can easily take the BR into second. You have to scramble to try to pivot in and get in position for a call at second.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My favorite veteran umps are the ones that still use a pillow and try to hide behind the catcher to call balls and strike.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
What's wrong with #2, other than "it's not how it's taught?"

I'm at the 45 foot line and can easily take the BR into second. You have to scramble to try to pivot in and get in position for a call at second.
Why do you need to pivot on this play? Hasn't BU already seen the BR touch first on the initial play? No pivot necessary. Besides that, isn't BU stationed in fair territory? This makes BU closer to second than PU. Also, PU is closer to the DBT boundry than BU.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
That's what pregames are for:

BU: Hi, I'm Kevin.
ME: No, you're Bill.
Too effin' funny. Posts like this are why I still lurk here.

Ace
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:28am

Quote:
It sounds like these two guys should work all of their games together. # 1 can always work the bases, and # 2 always work the plate. Then # 1, who is in foul territory call stay with the overthrow, and # 2 can run merrily around the infield playing base umpire (and do a merry dance, too!)
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Why do you need to pivot on this play? Hasn't BU already seen the BR touch first on the initial play? No pivot necessary. Besides that, isn't BU stationed in fair territory? This makes BU closer to second than PU. Also, PU is closer to the DBT boundry than BU.
How do you keep your chest to the ball if you don't turn towards it in some way?

As the PU I don't have to get to second. I just have to get in position to make a call. The BU has to decide whether he has time to get in front of the BR -- if not, he has to wait and then chase him to second.

I just find it easier to let the PU slide over to second and the BU can follow the ball. The BU doesn't have to actually get to the fence 99% of the time.

I'll do it the taught way taught, though I don't see anything wrong with this.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
How do you keep your chest to the ball if you don't turn towards it in some way?
You don't need to keep your chest to the ball for every play, do you? I'm not being a smarta$$, that's a legitimate question.

I say No, you don't...

For example, on a base hit to the outfield, BU always turns his back to the ball. What's the difference?
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Not always

Quote:
You don't need to keep your chest to the ball for every play, do you? I'm not being a smarta$$, that's a legitimate question.

I say No, you don't...

For example, on a base hit to the outfield, BU always turns his back to the ball. What's the difference?
In 2- or 3-man (when U3 goes out), the Sally Look (I believe that's what they called it in camp) is becoming acceptable when watching BR touch 1B as you're headed to the infield, anticipating a throw to 2B. We were told to look over our left shoulder at the BR touching 1B as we're cutting across. Yes, make it obvious so that the coaches and players see you looking.

It's not exactly Belly To The Ball, but it's not the idiotic pivot we were required to do for so long, either.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

No troll here!

I'm not a troll, (whatever that means)! Just another 15+ year ump of high school and legion ball doing what he likes to do. No where in the thread did I say you had to agree with me. The ultimate end is getting the call right. So what if I soft sell the call and the coach comes out. He's going to get the same response from me, the ball beat the runner or the runner beat the ball, tag or no tag! It's that simple. Personally, umps who do some "show boating" are telling the people in attendance, look at me, I'm dah man in charge! I don't think the rule book says anyting about "show business" does it? Didn't think so! On the field, we're partners and I'll do my best, you do your best. If you need me, you call, if I need you, same thing. And if I'm ever working with you and you want to do the "acting thing", go right ahead, but don't look to me for an Emmy! All you'll get is "it's been nice working with you!
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
That's what pregames are for:

BU: Hi, I'm Kevin.
ME: No, you're Bill.
Come on, all together now:

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.

Thank You, Schoolhouse rocks.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 02:03pm

Quote:
I'm not a troll, (whatever that means)! Just another 15+ year ump of high school and legion ball doing what he likes to do. No where in the thread did I say you had to agree with me. The ultimate end is getting the call right. So what if I soft sell the call and the coach comes out. He's going to get the same response from me, the ball beat the runner or the runner beat the ball, tag or no tag! It's that simple. Personally, umps who do some "show boating" are telling the people in attendance, look at me, I'm dah man in charge! I don't think the rule book says anyting about "show business" does it? Didn't think so! On the field, we're partners and I'll do my best, you do your best. If you need me, you call, if I need you, same thing. And if I'm ever working with you and you want to do the "acting thing", go right ahead, but don't look to me for an Emmy! All you'll get is "it's been nice working with you!
You really think that selling a close call with a "he got him!" and a punch out signal is "show boating?" Wow, what umpire school taught you this? You soft sell a bang-bang play around these parts, you'll soon be looking at a sub-varsity assignment sheet.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25