The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

ncaa dh question

Question:
the ncaa dh rule is killing me...
check out the following question. i'm sure the "B" is correct - but is anything else also correct? maybe "D"?? why or why not?
thanks,

Question:
Nine player line-up. The pitcher is removed on defense and the umpire is informed the replaced pitcher will remain the DH. The left fielder was brought in to pitch. A new outfielder was inserted into the line-up. (REVIEW)

Answer:

A. Legal substitution.
B. The DH is lost when a defensive player comes in to pitch.
C. The new pitcher does not have to bat since the replaced pitcher is remaining as the DH.
D. The new left fielder must bat in the spot in the batting order of the original pitcher/DH.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

If F7 is brought in to pitch, then the role of the DH is lost. The original F1 can't remain as DH. If a new defenisive player enters the game to play left field, then he must bat in the only open spot in the lineup -- that of the departing F1/DH.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
Question:
the ncaa dh rule is killing me...
check out the following question. i'm sure the "B" is correct - but is anything else also correct? maybe "D"?? why or why not?
thanks,

Question:
Nine player line-up. The pitcher is removed on defense and the umpire is informed the replaced pitcher will remain the DH. The left fielder was brought in to pitch. A new outfielder was inserted into the line-up. (REVIEW)

Answer:

A. Legal substitution.
B. The DH is lost when a defensive player comes in to pitch.
C. The new pitcher does not have to bat since the replaced pitcher is remaining as the DH.
D. The new left fielder must bat in the spot in the batting order of the original pitcher/DH.
I think that there are two correct responses on this one. B and D.

I know that in either a 9 or 10 player lineup, if a defensive player becomes the pitcher, the DH is terminated for the remainder of the game (NCAA 7-2-c(6)). D then would be the only logical way to keep a 9 player batting order.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

i also thought that B and D were correct. the question is from an eofficials online practice test. there was no choice for B and D. i answered B because I was certain that this was a true statement and they said i was correct. i guess they just missing another option for an answer of - B and D. does anyone disagree?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
i also thought that B and D were correct. the question is from an eofficials online practice test. there was no choice for B and D. i answered B because I was certain that this was a true statement and they said i was correct. i guess they just missing another option for an answer of - B and D. does anyone disagree?
Just a word on the eofficials online pracitice tests, there were significant gliches in their system last year. I know this firsthand as I used them extensively to study for the NCAA test last year. I studied, took the practice test and scored less than 10%! I studied more, took the test and scored very low again. Then I took it with the book and once again got less than 20% correct. I almost gave up on even taking the test at all because I felt like I would just be making a $50 donation to the college association. THEN I talked to some guys and found out that they were having trouble with it.

Moral of the story, use the practice tests to familiarize yourself with the types of questions you'll be asked. Take their answers with a grain of salt.

Good Luck!