The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

"Balk" or "Ball"

Hi guys,

Pitcher goes to mouth while on the bump...doesn't matter where. OBR rules. I maintain that this is only a "ball" for going to the mouth. All I ever hear is that it's a balk...the only rule reference I've been able to find is: Rule 8.02.

Fellas, help me out on this...either prove me wrong or agree with me...

Pitcher goes to the mouth, runners on or empty bases...what is the mechanic...I have "Time" Call a ball, signal to both coaches why you're adding a ball to the hitters count.

Thanks fellas!
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, under OBR this is a ball. The mechanic for this is, "Time! That's a ball!" Turn to the PA announcer, official scorer, or the home dugout, and let them know what just happened.
Many umpires in my area think that with runners on base this is a balk. Even after reading the rule directly from the book during an association meeting I can't convince them otherwise and have given up trying. This is a pet peeve of mine... I can't take it!
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, i even looked at it in my book. Its an illeagal pitch; ball. my book, cleary has the penalty written; "Any contact with the mouth while in on the mound...the ball is dead and umpire shall call "ball"."

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 05:26pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Yep, i even looked at it in my book. Its an illeagal pitch; ball. my book, cleary has the penalty written; "Any contact with the mouth while in on the mound (or circle for softball)...the ball is dead and umpire shall call "ball"."
What book are you reading? It's certainly not the OBR published by The Sporting News.

The wording in OBR is as follows:
8.02 The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

So according to OBR< this is not an illegal pitch!!!
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep, i even looked at it in my book. Its an illeagal pitch; ball. my book, cleary has the penalty written; "Any contact with the mouth while in on the mound...the ball is dead and umpire shall call "ball"."
Are you quoting a Little League rule?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Are you quoting a Little League rule?
Yes, correction on that though, its not called an "Illeagal Pitch". Its called a "Ball", same as OBR there. sorry about that. and my book says the excact same thing as OBR. , except the line about allowing the pitcher to blow on their hands when its cold, and about fines by the league pres.

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 05:39pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:51pm

Quote:
Dan,

When you wrap quotation marks around a rule interpretation, it indicates that you are quoting the rule. You not only are not quoting the rule, you are totally getting it wrong, too!

Nowhere does it mention "Any contact with the mouth while on the mound," or "the ball is dead."

The ball does not become dead by rule when he goes to his mouth. If he goes to his mouth and then continues to pitch, and the batter reaches first and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, then the play proceeds without reference to the violation. Otherwise, you just call "Time" when you add the "Ball" to the count. The ball is not dead because of the contact with the mouth.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thats the second part of the rule Steve, I know that part.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:24pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Perfect...thanks guys...it really is a pet peeve of mine too, i just had to make sure I wasn't going crazy...(not that this totally confirms it)---the craziness that is...LOL
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

*adds Dan to 'the list'*