View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Yep, i even looked at it in my book. Its an illeagal pitch; ball. my book, cleary has the penalty written; "Any contact with the mouth while in on the mound (or circle for softball)...the ball is dead and umpire shall call "ball"."
What book are you reading? It's certainly not the OBR published by The Sporting News.

The wording in OBR is as follows:
8.02 The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

So according to OBR< this is not an illegal pitch!!!