The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I watched part of the game last night.

I don't know this Bruce guy personally, so I have nothing against "him", but...

Now that he has reached his milestone, he needs to go bye-bye.

He is in no shape to be working as an official in any sport other than Arm Wrestling.

He is basically calling pitches standing up, because he can't get down. Good thing he is short.

I'm sorry, but there are too many good umpires trying to work their way up that have respect for themselves, the game, and the job. If umpiring weren't a "Tenure" position, we would have a lot better umpires in the MLB.

And just for the record, I feel the same for people in positions of protecting public safety (Police, Fire, EMT, etc.), or where physical conditioning is a requirement of the job you are doing.

Oh, and don't get me started on the theory of "Tenure" !

Nick
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
Oh, and don't get me started on the theory of "Tenure" !
Actually the theory of tenure is fairly solid. The implementation of it, however, leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Actually the theory of tenure is fairly solid. The implementation of it, however, leaves a lot to be desired.
Do you mean because there is no accountability once someone receives tenure?

And to Nick: I was looking and Bruce hasnt received a postseason assignment since the 2003 NLDS. Coincidence?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
He is in no shape to be working as an official in any sport other than Arm Wrestling.

He is basically calling pitches standing up, because he can't get down. Good thing he is short.

I'm sorry, but there are too many good umpires trying to work their way up that have respect for themselves, the game, and the job.
I must disagree with you Nick.

Bruce Froemming has always been quick on his feet, as are many overweight people. Maybe the perception is that he is fat and out of shape, but he can still motor around the ballfield just fine. I've seen him on rotations, and he may not be as fast as he once was, when he routinely challenged and beat skinny guys in match races, but he can still get to all of his positions. He hustles when he needs to hustle, and doesn't when he doesn't need to hustle.

Yes, he is short. Short people don't have to get down lower. His head height ends up the same as the tall people working the GD stance. He has been working the scissors for years, and has no need to get any lower because he's already there. He doesn't stand like that because he "can't get down." He can get down, and boogie too! I wish sometimes that I was short like he is, because it looks so darn comfortable and effortless, which is also one of the benefits of the much ballyhooed Gerry Davis ™ © ® stance, as well.

If you don't think a man with Bruce Froemming's integrity and accomplishments has respect for the game, the job, or himself, then you're right...you don't know him at all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 04:29pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Just something I noticed while watching the ceremony at Fenway for Bruce, 31-year vet Ed Montague (or a dead ringer for him) was there behind Bruce the whole time. Also, during the meeting at home plate, it seemed like Brian Runge and Paul Emmel stood back, while Bruce and Mike Winters held the conference. I only mention this because one of the articles I read noted that Bruce and Mike have worked almost 900 games together.

Congrats to Bruce, and hopefully we'll see one last playoff appearance for Bruce before he retires.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Do you mean because there is no accountability once someone receives tenure?
Properly administered,that wouldn't be the case. Unfortunately, many administrators would rather "go along" than stand up for what is right.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets

Congrats to Bruce, and hopefully we'll see one last playoff appearance for Bruce before he retires.
Oh, God, please, no.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, God, please, no.
Why not? Please elaborate.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I would rather remember Bruce as he umpired at game #4000 than as he does at game #5000. I don't believe he is as sharp, as good, or as mobile as he was. It's kind of like watching Willy Mays after he hung around after being traded from the Giants to the Mets.

Bruce was a great umpire, but as Willy, I think he has hung around a year or two too long.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Scary thing about that positioning is if he calls the runner safe, and Pudge wants to throw somewhere to try to get another out, ole Bruce is right in the way.

At the same time, he probably couldn't have seen the play from anywhere else then where he was standing. Pudge had the plate strattled with his knees on the dirt, no where else to see what was going on then where Bruce was.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Let's not just give him a playoff series because he has been around for 5000 games. He should earn it on his performance, not a life time achievement award!
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I must disagree with you Nick.

Bruce Froemming has always been quick on his feet, as are many overweight people. Maybe the perception is that he is fat and out of shape, but he can still motor around the ballfield just fine. I've seen him on rotations, and he may not be as fast as he once was, when he routinely challenged and beat skinny guys in match races, but he can still get to all of his positions. He hustles when he needs to hustle, and doesn't when he doesn't need to hustle.

Yes, he is short. Short people don't have to get down lower. His head height ends up the same as the tall people working the GD stance. He has been working the scissors for years, and has no need to get any lower because he's already there. He doesn't stand like that because he "can't get down." He can get down, and boogie too! I wish sometimes that I was short like he is, because it looks so darn comfortable and effortless, which is also one of the benefits of the much ballyhooed Gerry Davis ™ © ® stance, as well.

If you don't think a man with Bruce Froemming's integrity and accomplishments has respect for the game, the job, or himself, then you're right...you don't know him at all.
I have to disagree with you on his size. He is getting paid over $350,000 to umpire, is it too much to ask that he and all other umpires be in shape. The NBA and NFL put restrictions on their officials size, why not MLB! If he was 20 years old and going to umpire school he wouldn't even make it to the minors.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Let's not just give him a playoff series because he has been around for 5000 games. He should earn it on his performance, not a life time achievement award!
If Angel Hernandez can get a World Series assignment why can't Bruce work a Division Series?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If Angel Hernandez can get a World Series assignment why can't Bruce work a Division Series?
Really can't argue with you on this one!!!
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Didn't your mother ever tell you that two wrongs don't make it right?