The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Pitched ball that bounces

I know that this has been covered here before but I couldn't find it.

Sitch-Batter up in 18+ league here and we go by OBR except for slaughter & safe slide rules. Runner on 2nd off with the pitch and the lefty tosses a breaking ball that bounces two feet in front of the plate. The batter's trying to protect his runner and he gives a lazy swing and hits the ball over the 2nd baseman's head. He legs it out and is standing at first with the whole place laughing. The head coach from the other team comes out and tells me that he can't hit a pitch that bounces and he should be out for interfering with his catcher's ability to throw the runner out. I tried not to laugh and said that the AB counts and the runners stay at first and third. He goes back in the dugout and grabs the rule book. His team goes on to win and after the game he walks by me in the lot. He tosses the rule book at me and says to show him where it says a bounced itch can be hit. I tell him to show me where it says a legally delivered pitch can't be hit. He mumbles something about me being arrogant and walks away. My partner is laughing and it got me thinking. I know I'm right but can't find it. Any help?
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

It is in Section Two: Definition of Terms under Ball as a comment.

Rule 2.00 (Ball) Comment: If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a “ball.” If such a pitch touches the batter, he shall be awarded first base. If the batter swings at such a pitch after two strikes, the ball cannot be caught, for the purposes of Rule 6.05(c) and 6.09(b). If the batter hits such a pitch, the ensuing action shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

After showing him that rule reference, I would also shame the coach by telling him most coaches learn the truth about that particular rule myth in their first year as a coach, when they're babysitting the munchkins.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Pete, where in AZ??
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I could say Paradise Valley but I'm between Tucson and Phoenix, Casa Grande is the name.

As Floyd Landis would say about calling the play, I knew I was correct but I needed to be positive.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Floyd Landis would say about calling the play, I knew I was correct but I needed to be positive.
Come on now, it finally took the French 8 years to nail an American. They couldn't do it with Lance and now they have their scapegoat. I have no clue whether Landis did anything illegal or not but one thing is for certain, the French hate us winning on their turf.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots101
Come on now, it finally took the French 8 years to nail an American. They couldn't do it with Lance and now they have their scapegoat. I have no clue whether Landis did anything illegal or not but one thing is for certain, the French hate us winning on their turf.
The French always hate us, until the German Army decides to cross their border.

Bob
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 10:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots101
You mean to tell me that it's impossible to spike a water bottle with artificial testosterone and then pass it to a racer who you dislike when he grabs for water? I smell conspiricy here.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Floyd gets his water from the team car or other riders on his team, who get them from the team car.

As a cycling fan, I can tell you that he took something, that stuff in the quantity that it was in his body could not be naturally produced. It could be some of the cortisone, etc. he was taking for his hip, but I'm no doctor.

Here comes locked thread!
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
And by the way, they did it with Lance to, positive test in 1999 before they were testing for EPO, because they didn't have the test. They ran his sample years later and it came up positive for EPO, a chemical that increases your red blood cell count, which creates for longer endurance. But it was so far after the victory the statute of limitations had run up.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:10pm

Why, there is no cycling forum for us to discuss it in? This seems like a waste of time thread now anyway, let's just use this one!
Old Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:12pm

I say if they don't kick Barry out of baseball immediately, they should leave Landis alone. It's downright hypocritical.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

MLB Must Deal Straight with Barry Bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I say if they don't kick Barry out of baseball immediately, they should leave Landis alone. It's downright hypocritical.
Time for us losers to accept the fact that WE can't hit 70 homers a year. Now Barry's closest associate to BALCO may come forward and testify against him. Is that the proof everyone is waiting for? He plays ball because there is no PAST physical evidence against him. Barry's test are clean.

Everyone knows pitchers can't hit. Yet, the BABE would have probably hit 1000 homers if 1) he never pitched, and 2) he never smoke or drank, and 3) he worked out a little more between seasons. Why should Barry be the only one left to pay for the pied piper's legacy? MLB must celebrate his triumph or learn how to pitch to him.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 01:04am.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Oh how soon they forget.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Bob
Combien sucent-ils ? La France est le seul pays à défaire dans une guerre par l'Italie.