The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
R1, R2, two out, two strikes on the batter. Runners stealing on the pitch, which is a check swing in the dirt. PU calls "ball", catcher throws to third to try to retire the stealing R2. Third baseman misses the tag, but he is touching the bag when he takes the throw. Defense appeals the check swing, and the BU says "Yes, he went".
Where is the out recorded? And who leads off next inning? As soon as it became a dropped third strike, it became a force at third base, and the third baseman WAS touching the base when he took the throw....hmmm....

I love this game -
JJ
JJ, what an amazingly unique and previously unthought of situation (see above!!!)
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I would say, since it was not called a strike orginally (Appeal afterwards), the out would be by the guy thrown out at second, and batter is back up next inning.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I would say, since it was not called a strike orginally (Appeal afterwards), the out would be by the guy thrown out at second, and batter is back up next inning.
Then you would be wrong.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Do you have any rules basis for saying such a thing? Or any defense for it if protested?

Let's expand it a bit to further illustrate the point. Make it R1 and R3, a double steal. R1 holds up long enough for R3 to score, and R1 is then tagged. The defense then appeals the swing, and batter is called out. Do you score the run? (Of course not ... because the BR was the 3rd out ... same as if R3 did not exist.)
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukinrox
If you can stand on the third base side of a field and tell a coach that his batter definitely swung on a legitimately close check swing then if the coach knows anythign about baseball will be riding you... Theres an impossible angle.
Then he'll get ejected just like anyone else who argues balls and strikes.

Sack up and do your job.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Check swing is easy call from A, B, C, or D. But some can't see a batter standing on the plate when making contact with a pitch. Holy cow!
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Check swing is easy call from A, B, C, or D. But some can't see a batter standing on the plate when making contact with a pitch. Holy cow!
I'm not looking for it. There's a difference.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm not looking for it. There's a difference.
I'm not looking for it either, but I can't miss it when I see it, it's right there in front of me and I am locked in and perfectly still. When the batter plants his foot on the plate the out call if he makes contact is far more important than a strike or ball call anyway.

Last edited by DG; Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:18pm.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:52pm

How about we just leave it at the umpires who would call it, call it, and the umpires that would not call it, don't. This argument is getting tired.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25