The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Juntos debemos unir on this topic!

Was working an over 30 woodbat league this morning. One team was comprised mainly of Puerto Rican players, who were very easy going and didn't have much of a problem with. I don't know much Spanish, but I could follow basically what they were saying/yelling/cheering.

But I got to thinking, what if a player started yelling at an umpire in a different language (one that the umpire didn't understand)? My partner was Puerto Rican as well, so anything that was said I guess he would have known if it was bad or not. What say you about players yelling in a different language at us Azuls, when nosotros no comprendemos?
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:48am

Cuando ustedes no comprenden, usted necesitan decirles que hablar inglés, o los sea quitado.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:56am

Me entiende usted? Si no paran el maldecir en español, serán expulsados.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I work a Mexican / American league with a language issue.

I don't think you need to speak the same language as a coach / player to know when it's time to dump them.

Your gut will tell you.

So far, knock on wood, I have had the least trouble with this league, than I do with Babe Ruth and High School. I run more people in HS each year, than all other leagues put together.

Nick

Last edited by nickrego; Mon Jul 31, 2006 at 01:50am.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quand je travaille avec les équipes qui parlent espagnol je hurlez à eux en français. Il confond l'enfer hors d'eux.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Quand je travaille avec les équipes qui parlent espagnol je hurlez à eux en français. Il confond l'enfer hors d'eux.
lol. for those who don't know, he said that when he works games with Spanish teams, he yells french back at them. Confuses the hell out of them.

One thing is for certain, baseball is not the English enclave it once was.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Cuando ustedes no comprenden, usted necesitan decirles que hablar inglés, o los sea quitado.
But what about them cheering on each other? How do I know its directed at me? They could say awful things to me and I would never know.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I used to work a men's league in the San Fernado Valley (So. Cal), which was about 95% Mexican and Mexican-Americans. A few had actually played pro ball in the Mexican League. It was a well-organized league. All players had picture IDs, they had to be in full uniform (though not necessarily matching), home team had to supply official, league mandated baseballs, etc.

I was working solo, and called a runner out on a close play at home. THe 3B coach came down the line and called me a name in Spanish. I had taken Spanish in High School, and sat between two Hispanic boys who taught me all the "good words". I recognized what the coach called me as a VERY vile name, and I ran him. Of course he claimed that he didn't say anything bad. I told him that I understood what he said, and that he was gone.

The others looked at me, and figured that this Gringo could understand Spanish. The word must have spread, because no one ever used Spanish on me again. Little did they know how limited my knowledge was.

Bob
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 03:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
I used to work a men's league in the San Fernado Valley (So. Cal), which was about 95% Mexican and Mexican-Americans. A few had actually played pro ball in the Mexican League. It was a well-organized league. All players had picture IDs, they had to be in full uniform (though not necessarily matching), home team had to supply official, league mandated baseballs, etc.

I was working solo, and called a runner out on a close play at home. THe 3B coach came down the line and called me a name in Spanish. I had taken Spanish in High School, and sat between two Hispanic boys who taught me all the "good words". I recognized what the coach called me as a VERY vile name, and I ran him. Of course he claimed that he didn't say anything bad. I told him that I understood what he said, and that he was gone.

The others looked at me, and figured that this Gringo could understand Spanish. The word must have spread, because no one ever used Spanish on me again. Little did they know how limited my knowledge was.

Bob
It's happened to me too in Mexican-American League a couple times. Little did they know that I minored in Spanish in college. And like in your case, word spread.

I usually never have any problems with these folks, and have worked 3 Mexican-American League All-Star games, as well as several of their Juegos de Campeonato.

The league out here is highly regulated by the League President, and laminated plastic player I.D. cards are required for each player. Each teams' I.D. cards are held by the opposing manager during the games. Players from all races and backgrounds play in this league, with the majority comprised of Mexican or Mexican-Americans.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 03:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
But what about them cheering on each other? How do I know its directed at me? They could say awful things to me and I would never know.
Usually, remarks toward the Blue contain the phrase, "pinche umpire."
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Tengo gusto del chocolate caliente con mis burritos picantes.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Tengo gusto del chocolate caliente con mis burritos picantes.
Using "chocolate" and "burrito" in the same sentence sounds yucky.

Bob
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
Using "chocolate" and "burrito" in the same sentence sounds yucky.

Bob
나는 너의 기본 방향안에 방귀를 뀐다! 너는 이었다 양딱총나무의 열매의 햄스터 그리고 너의 아버지 용해 어머니가 된다!
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

I umpired a few years in a Hispanic league in Aurora, IL. They played every Sunday, two 9-inning games and paid VERY well, which is why I did it. The only thing I had a problem with was getting them to start on time. Other than that, except for the occasional bush-league play (fielder standing in baseline waiting to catch pop-fly and runner runs into him) and the fact that they never secured their bases to the ground it was a fun league.

Oh yeah, and they always had those ice-cream trucks, Hispanic style, stop by the games. The spectators and players loved this corn in the cob on a stick with cheese type food. It sure smelled nasty.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:49pm

This one team used to bring gallons of shrimp cocktail in ice buckets, and plenty of beer for after the games, and would always invite the umpires over to partake. Had a lot of good eatin' at Mexican-American games.