The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
When do we "jump in"

This is more of a philosophical thread than a rules-oriented one.

I had a game last night where I called two violations on a pitcher, a few innings apart, same chucker.

I also had to warn coaches from both teams about leaving the dugout, a LL rule I insist upon. FYI, they were jumping out from behind dugout fence to talk to/position players.

I'm not going to delve into the myriad arcana of LL softball rules, but all these calls elicited quite a stir.

I'm 100% confident of all these calls, but a well-respected state LL sachem remarked post-game: "Ace, controversy seems to follow you around."

I said, "That's because I enforce the rules."

As I said, I have no boubt about these calls/instances. But, the age-old dilemma erupts: When do we "leave things be" -- and when do we insert ourselves into the game, especially when a pard is a newer ump or seems lax on rules.

I don't wanna be Torquemada, nor do I want to wait until the opposition complains before I enforce a rule.

Your thoughts, august group?

Ace in CT
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
I have two thoughts.

1. How many people do you think will know who Torquemada is?

2. Since you referred to the group as august, maybe people are waiting for July to end before responding.

Chris Wright
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran

I had a game last night where I called two violations on a pitcher, a few innings apart, same chucker.

I also had to warn coaches from both teams about leaving the dugout, a LL rule I insist upon. FYI, they were jumping out from behind dugout fence to talk to/position players.

I'm not going to delve into the myriad arcana of LL softball rules, but all these calls elicited quite a stir.

I'm 100% confident of all these calls, but a well-respected state LL sachem remarked post-game: "Ace, controversy seems to follow you around."

As I said, I have no boubt about these calls/instances. But, the age-old dilemma erupts: When do we "leave things be" -- and when do we insert ourselves into the game, especially when a pard is a newer ump or seems lax on rules.

I don't wanna be Torquemada, nor do I want to wait until the opposition complains before I enforce a rule.

Ace in CT
I don't feel that we can pick and choose which rules we enforce, and those we don't. I only go "Tomas de Torquemada" when coaches repeatedly ignore
any legitimate requests I make of them. I agree about not waiting until the
opposition complains to enforce a rule.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ace,

I have heard the comments about "He is strict on the rules" by several officials around the parks I call at. I do create some static with a few coaches that think they are above the rules, but I enforce them with all. I usually mention to them inpassing at first, and then I warn if they do not catch the hint. Most coaches step it up once they realize I will enforce the rules. One such example is the wearing of a catcher's mask and helmet when warming up a pitcher. Dixie youth says that anyone warming up a pitcher must wear one. That includes coaches. I catch a little flack for it until I ask them if they would like to spend 6 weeks sipping through a straw after the pitch shorthops up into their jaw.

What? Wuz that a strike?...
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

I think it comes with experience. Aside from safety, I try to roll in like a local, as opposed to the local Gestapo. If you wish to dial things up, do so slowly, gently and low keyed. If it's a new location, I'll try to get the lay of the land, and see how lax the enforcement is.

Tomorrow, I'm working a state championship game, and we're all going to be new to each other. So our crew gets to set the tempo, and we're going to set the bar pretty high. There's a time and a place for cracking the whip, and we'll get our chance tomorrow. This game is pretty far down the line though, and I'm sure these guys have seen some pretty good crews. So ours won't be any shock to anyone.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wright
I have two thoughts.

1. How many people do you think will know who Torquemada is?
It's just like Mel Brooks said, "ya can't Torquemada nothing!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
People SKills..........

Gauging your reaction is always a measure of people skills. The more games you do, the better you get at it. Most of my posts hint at gauging my reaction and I've been at this awhile.

Don't be a Smitty. Treat people how you would want to be treated given the circumstance.

Calling a game provides a clear avenue to demonstrate your people skills. I'd be willing to wager a coffee at starbucks that if you're normally friendly, get along with most types of peeps, and are intuitive, most people will like you.

Focus on your people skills as well as your rules knowledge.

Last edited by Rcichon; Sun Jul 30, 2006 at 12:07am.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 11:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Don't be a Smitty.
Wow, Smitty sure does get around. He's been getting a lot of press lately on the forums.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
I don't feel that we can pick and choose which rules we enforce, and those we don't.
Sure we can. And we do.

Do you enforce the coach's box literally and 100% of the time? Do you stop play and get F3's foot in bounds every time you see it in foul territory prior to a pitch?

We all pick and choose to a degree. The issue is: "to what degree?"
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Do you stop play and get F3's foot in bounds every time you see it in foul territory prior to a pitch?
can't one foot be in foul territory? I don't think I've seen a 1st baseman set up with both feet in foul ground

just curious if I've missed something,

Joe
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
You have to be strict on the rules. Ace told me at a park before a game once to "not let them argue balls and strikes". His tone was that it had been happening, and then they started doing it in Ace's games.

We need to enforce rules, if not for the sancity and safety of your game, then for the pleasantness and peacefullness for the next umpire's game who has that team.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
can't one foot be in foul territory? I don't think I've seen a 1st baseman set up with both feet in foul ground

just curious if I've missed something,

Joe
The pro interpretation is that the fielder must be entirely in fair territory. It is not strictly enforced unless an offensive manager complains, and then it is strictly enforced both for both teams.

FED (high school) allows one foot in and one foot out.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
You have to be strict on the rules.
All of them? Strict, how? By the letter of the rule book?

Careful, grasshopper, you will one day learn the intent of the rules and perhaps come to know some of the many, many errors in the rule book and those sections that disagree with others. What happens to your generalization then?
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
You have to be strict on the rules. Ace told me at a park before a game once to "not let them argue balls and strikes". His tone was that it had been happening, and then they started doing it in Ace's games.

We need to enforce rules, if not for the sancity and safety of your game, then for the pleasantness and peacefullness for the next umpire's game who has that team.
Tuss--this isn't what my original thread was about. To talk to your point, I simply felt that some of my plate pards had been letting coaches get a little too verbal on balls/strikes--this led to coaches ro thinking they could bazoo at anyone.

I am talking about 100% rules violations. Garth brings up some good talking points, as usual.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran

Ace in CT

Ace,

JMHO, but it might not be the message, but the way in which it was delivered ?

Might it be that you are more "officius" than the majority of your brethren ?

Might it be that you are extremely accomplished at your craft, and you enjoy letting everyone know just how accomplished you are ?

Might it be you just enjoy a good scuffle ?

Or, might it be that I'm full of sh!t and don't know what the fu(k I'm talking about.

BTW, my wife votes for the last one.

Doug