View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
This is more of a philosophical thread than a rules-oriented one.

I had a game last night where I called two violations on a pitcher, a few innings apart, same chucker.

I also had to warn coaches from both teams about leaving the dugout, a LL rule I insist upon. FYI, they were jumping out from behind dugout fence to talk to/position players.

I'm not going to delve into the myriad arcana of LL softball rules, but all these calls elicited quite a stir.

I'm 100% confident of all these calls, but a well-respected state LL sachem remarked post-game: "Ace, controversy seems to follow you around."

I said, "That's because I enforce the rules."

As I said, I have no boubt about these calls/instances. But, the age-old dilemma erupts: When do we "leave things be" -- and when do we insert ourselves into the game, especially when a pard is a newer ump or seems lax on rules.

I don't wanna be Torquemada, nor do I want to wait until the opposition complains before I enforce a rule.

Your thoughts, august group?

Ace in CT
I don't feel that we can pick and choose which rules we enforce, and those we don't. I only go "Tomas de Torquemada" when coaches repeatedly ignore
any legitimate requests I make of them. I agree about not waiting until the
opposition complains to enforce a rule.