The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly???

Runners on first & second, one out. Batter hits what I would call a "flare" (about 15-20 feet off the ground). Shortstop jogs a few steps to his left and catches it, doubles the runner off second who was running on the pitch. Based on what I described (I know its judgment and you gotta see it to be sure), do you have infield fly or not?
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

mrm - are you wondering what would have happened if the play had been different and SS had dropped the ball? in that case I might want to "be there" to determine if it's a fly or a line drive. But in what you described it doesn't matter if it's Infield Fly Rule or not
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
mrm - are you wondering what would have happened if the play had been different and SS had dropped the ball? in that case I might want to "be there" to determine if it's a fly or a line drive. But in what you described it doesn't matter if it's Infield Fly Rule or not
No, my partner and myself had a "discussion" about whether or not this is an infield fly situation. He didnt feel it was because:

1) He didnt judge it to be ordinary effort. His criteria were: the ball wasnt high enough, there wasnt enough "trajectory" on the ball.
2) It was called an Infield Fly as the ball was coming down.
3) He felt that the infielder had the ability to intentionally drop this ball, and would have enforced this rule had he dropped it intentionally. I dont see how this rule could be enforced but it isnt an Infield Fly situation. Obviously the intentionally dropped fly ball rule isnt in effect in an IF situation.

In my opinion, this ball did not fit the definition of line drive as "sharp and direct from the bat to the fielder." Thoughts please????[/

Last edited by mrm21711; Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 07:56pm.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Flares are not IFF in my opinion, but remember if they let it fall, I may be inclined to give a very late IFF.

If they intentionally drop it, kill it immediatly, BR out, runners back to bases at TOP.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Not being there of course I can't tell but I see your side. But did your partner REALLY say that intentional dropping is the key??? Sounds like he might have gone infield fly on a sharp line drive!
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
IMO: Fielder must have enuff hang time to park himself in one spot or maybe waver there for a short time before IFF. If he drops intentionally, I agree w/TussAgee11; call IFF late anyway.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

According to the MLBUM (not sure about other books), the IFF is supposed to be called as the ball is on its way down anyway. Calling a late IFF here doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
IMO: Fielder must have enuff hang time to park himself in one spot or maybe waver there for a short time before IFF. If he drops intentionally, I agree w/TussAgee11; call IFF late anyway.
By rule, an intentionally dropped line drive with any force at any base results in an immediate deadball and the BR is out, and runners return. In all codes. Intentionally dropped is qualified as a fielder batting the ball down.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

15-20 feet above ground is not an IFF, it's a soft liner. Intentionally dropped is a dead ball out. Intentionally allowed to land on the ground without being touched is a live ball, play on. There should be no late IFF call on soft liners.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
15-20 feet above ground is not an IFF, it's a soft liner. Intentionally dropped is a dead ball out. Intentionally allowed to land on the ground without being touched is a live ball, play on. There should be no late IFF call on soft liners.
It's an infield fly. 15-20 feet are more than enough to have an IFF.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rich and have seen it called as an Infield Fly on the MLB & college levels. The fact the ball is on its way down is not relevant, in my opinion.

Anything from J/R or JEA?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Opinions vary. There is nothing in J/R or JEA, or any other reference material I am aware of to indicate the suggested height of an IFF.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

And Im just asking here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Opinions vary. There is nothing in J/R or JEA, or any other reference material I am aware of to indicate the suggested height of an IFF.
Is it fair to assume that if a fielder could intentionally drop a fly ball (or a line drive which obviously doesnt apply to the IFR) that would be ordinary effort?
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Remember the purpose of the infield fly rule is to protect the runners and prevent them from being "hung out to dry" on a popup that could be allowed to let fall and then create an easy double play. On the other hand, it's not there to bail out bad baserunning.

An infield fly call in this situation would not have mattered; the reason R2 was out was because he was running on the pitch. He would have been doubled off with or without an infield fly call.

If the flare was headed right to an infielder so that it was clearly a makeable catch, I'm probably going to call the infield fly to give the runners the protection the rule is intended to give them.

The other end of the stick - not calling an infield fly and then runners don't know what to do and the fielder might let it fall and try for the DP - is way too much Keystone-cops style baseball for my tastes.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught to ask myself (in my head...not out loud or folks might find out I was a tad askew) Is that an infield fly? I have found that this works pretty well in determining which one to call.

Joe