The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

infield fly rule situation. Runners on 1st and 2nd. Ball is hit 8-10 feet beyond basepath from 2 to 3rd base. Obvious pop put. I heard no ump call in-field fly rule. He says he did(the base ump not the plate ump). He was facing the outfield when he did call it- even he admits to this. I said how do you expect anybody to hear it? Ball was not caught and the only one who heard the ump call infield fly was the boy on second who was near the ump. The runner on first ran to two while the runner on two was off the base about a third of the way to three and went backto two when he heard the ump. The batter was standing on one thinking he was safe. Total confusion. I believe the ump called infield fly rule, however he was not vocal and was not facing the plate. The runner at two was out via the tag and -wham-double play. Can the get 2 out when the ball is dropped on a infield fly rule, or should the runners be placed back a the bases 1-2 with the batter out? Thanks
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
It is a common theme for umpires to be "unvocal" in calling the infield fly, but nonetheless, it is up to the runners and defense to know the rule, know the situation, and know the consequences and outcomes of their actions. It is very possible to get two outs on a dropped IFF (any out must come via a tag because the whole purpose of the rule is to elimate force double/triple plays). Remember that the ball is live on an IFF fly and runners run or tag if caught at their own risk.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
infield fly rule situation. Runners on 1st and 2nd. Ball is hit 8-10 feet beyond basepath from 2 to 3rd base. Obvious pop put. I heard no ump call in-field fly rule. He says he did(the base ump not the plate ump). He was facing the outfield when he did call it- even he admits to this. I said how do you expect anybody to hear it? Ball was not caught and the only one who heard the ump call infield fly was the boy on second who was near the ump. The runner on first ran to two while the runner on two was off the base about a third of the way to three and went backto two when he heard the ump. The batter was standing on one thinking he was safe. Total confusion. I believe the ump called infield fly rule, however he was not vocal and was not facing the plate. The runner at two was out via the tag and -wham-double play. Can the get 2 out when the ball is dropped on a infield fly rule, or should the runners be placed back a the bases 1-2 with the batter out? Thanks
It is the complete responsibility of the coaches and players to know the conditions when an Infield fly exists and what to do when it happens. This holds true wether the umpire declares an IFF or NOT. So it does'nt matter if the umpire was facing towards the plate, sun or any other direction. Teach the players what to do under those situations and your problems will be solved.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 06:45am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Bunky,
Welcome to the forum.
The players and coaches should have known more if they are playing on the Big Diamond. The runner on second (and as mentioned, the base coaches) did not know to send the runner, from first, back to first.
Yes, the play could have been handled a little better. As well, the coaching could have been more thorough.
mick
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
I had this

I had this last night, basically the same thing.

High pop to pitcher, I call "Infield fly" as loud as I can. Defense hears me, offense doesn't.

That wasn't there major problem though.....they argued that infield fly is dead ball. They argued this because they sent their runner from third home, not knowing the rule (I had to explain it to him after). Runner got tagged at home. 2 outs. Fans went nuts. Coaches go nuts.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

While players and coaches should know the IFF situation when it exists, whether it exists is a judgment call, which the umpires should be very vocal and visual on. I make sure everybody knows, by voice and hand signals, when IFF has been called. I have hollered at top voice before and had coaches say they did not hear me, but fans and players did. Coaches heare what they want to hear sometimes.