The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Came up with a new line tonight... and had a Triple Play!

Oh, the rats are in full force.

LL game, top of the 6th 2 outs bases full, past ball and the runner is OUT at the plate. 3rd base coach (who scored 5 runs that inning to take a one run lead into the bottom of the inning) took umbrage, followed by some other fans who must have not saw the kid slide and stop short of the plate. I walk over a couple steps (the inning is over now), and yell back "LEAD BY EXAMPLE COACH, GET YOUR KIDS TOGETHER AND GET THEM OUT ON THE FIELD"

He came up to me inbetween innings and apologized.

I think I like my new line. Makes them realize that they are acting like a complete simpleton

Had a triple play in the first inning go against him, first one of those I've seen in LL. Bases full, none out (obviously). Line drive to 3rd, I'm PU and yell "NO CATCH NO CATCH". F5 steps on 3rd, then tags a returning R3. Meanwhile R2 has not left his base, and R1 is still on first. BR is standing in the dugout. Partner and I got together to make sure that the runners now standing on first and second were the same ones before the play, then called the BR out for abandonment.

My first triple play
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Oh, the rats are in full force.

LL game, top of the 6th 2 outs bases full, past ball and the runner is OUT at the plate. 3rd base coach (who scored 5 runs that inning to take a one run lead into the bottom of the inning) took umbrage, followed by some other fans who must have not saw the kid slide and stop short of the plate. I walk over a couple steps (the inning is over now), and yell back "LEAD BY EXAMPLE COACH, GET YOUR KIDS TOGETHER AND GET THEM OUT ON THE FIELD"
just shrugging that off would be a better line in my opinion. especially in a tight game, you are going to catch some flack when you call a guy out on a big play like that, because someone is getting the short end of the stick. it seems like you took that short stick and jammed it "where the sun don't shine."
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
just shrugging that off would be a better line in my opinion. especially in a tight game, you are going to catch some flack when you call a guy out on a big play like that, because someone is getting the short end of the stick. it seems like you took that short stick and jammed it "where the sun don't shine."
In a 11 year old LL game, I will not allow any flack from any coach on any call. If it was a game where the players are not active learners of the game of baseball and their coaches are less of role models, then I agree.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a 11 year old LL game, I will not allow any flack from any coach on any call. If it was a game where the players are not active learners of the game of baseball and their coaches are less of role models, then I agree.
No offense, but you're describing the persona of an "umpire nazi" and your zero tolerance policy will quickly earn you a reputation that will not get you invited to the bigger games.

Yes, they're learning. One of the things they ought to be able to learn is that baseball is a competitive, emotional game and when a call doesn't go your way, a normal emotional reaction - if kept reasonable - should NOT result in an umpire yelling an insulting putdown at you across the field.

Zero tolerance is really just "zero game management." I hope you'll give this feedback you're receiving thoughtful consideration, rather than just debate and justify your position.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
No offense, but you're describing the persona of an "umpire nazi" and your zero tolerance policy will quickly earn you a reputation that will not get you invited to the bigger games.

Yes, they're learning. One of the things they ought to be able to learn is that baseball is a competitive, emotional game and when a call doesn't go your way, a normal emotional reaction - if kept reasonable - should NOT result in an umpire yelling an insulting putdown at you across the field.

Zero tolerance is really just "zero game management." I hope you'll give this feedback you're receiving thoughtful consideration, rather than just debate and justify your position.
I understand what you are saying. Perhaps I should better clarify sequence of events. The call happened. The 3rd base coach yelled in disgust (can't really remember what he said this time). He then walked down the foul line some (maybe 5-10 feet), and yelled again, perhaps 5 seconds later "THAT WAS AN AWFUL CALL". I looked at him and he was standing there, arms crossed, staring at me. He then yelled "HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT CALL!"

How long do I let this guy "Blow Steam" before I've had enough, or should have had enough? I don't mind coaches yelling right away, because that just means they care. Getting energy out is ok to a degree, and its an emotional game, but should I really be tolerating the action I saw today on any level of game?

I appreciate your input, and right now I guess maybe I'm debating and justifying my position, as you advised me not to do. But if you want to say I'm wrong, that's your right, I figured I'd give you all the facts so you could do so knowing the full situation. I just wanted to ask you questions on how to improve my umpiring

Last edited by TussAgee11; Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 11:12pm.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Lighten up, Francis.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

So I overreacted?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

i'd say so. just let it go and get to your spot and prepare for the next inning.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Perhaps I should better clarify sequence of events. The call happened. The 3rd base coach yelled in disgust (can't really remember what he said this time). He then walked down the foul line some (maybe 5-10 feet), and yelled again, perhaps 5 seconds later "THAT WAS AN AWFUL CALL". I looked at him and he was standing there, arms crossed, staring at me. He then yelled "HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT CALL!"

How long do I let this guy "Blow Steam" before I've had enough, or should have had enough? I don't mind coaches yelling right away, because that just means they care. Getting energy out is ok to a degree, and its an emotional game, but should I really be tolerating the action I saw today on any level of game?

I appreciate your input, and right now I guess maybe I'm debating and justifying my position, as you advised me not to do. But if you want to say I'm wrong, that's your right, I figured I'd give you all the facts so you could do so knowing the full situation. I just wanted to ask you questions on how to improve my umpiring
Soon after he started in he get's a "Knock it off". As soon as the "HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT CALL!" came out he's gone - esp if he's a coach and not the manager.

Game management is more an art than science. Each game is different, though there are always the hard rules.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I overreacted?
From what I read, you went from a stare, to lecturing him about his responsibilities in front of his 11 year old players.

Where was the "that's enough, coach"? Or any warning?

I'm not saying bend over and take it, But manage it. If he doesn't respond to an appropriate warning, dump him. He's an assistant, right? But don't lecture him. That's making it personal. Manage him. That's making it professional.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Jul 11, 2006 at 12:48am.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Sometimes the best course of action is nothing. Just as it is not a coach's place to tell us our job, it's not our place to lecture a coach' about what we feel they should be doing.

While the coach's behavior in this case was unacceptable, when we begin to lecture the coach we become the aggressor and we lose credibility. We can't become the aggressor at anytime.

As has been mentioned in previous posts, I would have given a stern, "thats enough coach", and walked away. My Mom always told me that a little "wholesome neglect" was the best way to handle a two year old's tantrum.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
From what I read, you went from a stare, to lecturing him about his responsibilities in front of his 11 year old players.

Where was the "that's enough, coach"? Or any warning?

I'm not saying bend over and take it, But manage it. If he doesn't respond to an appropriate warning, dump him. He's an assistant, right? But don't lecture him. That's making it personal. Manage him. That's making it professional.
What Garth said, exactly.

From the very outset, in my plate meeting, I try to establish a clear understanding - without explicitly saying so - that I am approachable and reasonable and mostly unflappable, and all my dealings with game participants will be conducted with courtesy and respect, as long as everyone observes those same rules of the road. I ignore the groans and comments that come from 50% of those present on a close call, and if someone takes that disappointment too far I simply and quickly admonish them to turn the page. "That's enough." "Knock it off." No lectures, no screaming.

With the coach who gave you a double blast from the coach's box, I would probably, if I deemed it to be ignorable, ignore it, and then between innings as he's going back to the dugout I would intercept him and tell him, face-to-face and one-on-one - "Coach, don't yell at me like that from the coach's box. If you have a question come ask it and I'll answer it. But I will not be yelled at."

Game management is the hardest part of the craft. At the highest levels I work, it's still tough and somewhat stressful to have to bring all one's communicative skills to bear to keep these powder kegs from blowing sometimes. The "umpire nazi" is a phase most every umpire goes through, but trust us, there's a more moderate and better nuanced persona that will serve you better.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But don't lecture him. That's making it personal. Manage him. That's making it professional.
Garth-

This little nugget is golden! This is a perfect perspective to use in game management issues! Is this your own or did you hear it somewhere else?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Garth-

"But don't lecture him. That's making it personal. Manage him. That's making it professional"

This little nugget is golden! This is a perfect perspective to use in game management issues! Is this your own or did you hear it somewhere else?

© G. Benham, Spokane, WA, July 10, 2006
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
© G. Benham, Spokane, WA, July 10, 2006
I love it!