The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

"Electricity"???

This was a first. U15 rec league. Runner on first. Ground ball to second baseman. He tags runner with his glove, but the ball is in his bare hand. BU calls him out. (A disagreement ensued, but who cares - it was only a couple coaches.) After the game BU stopped to chat for a few with me (I was watching, not working) and explained the fielder did not have to tag the runner from first with the ball in his glove because it was a force play (so far so good) SO THE FIELDER COULD TOUCH THE RUNNER WITH ANY PART OF HIS BODY WHETHER HE TOUCHED HIM WITH THE BALL OR NOT BECAUSE THE FIELDER WAS "HOT". (Quote). I remember "electricity" from tag as a little kid, but I must have missed the rule that says a fielder is "hot" on a force and can tag runner without the ball.

Oh. His explanation was that since fielder can step on the base with a body part and not have to tag the base with the ball the same thing applies on the basepaths. I've been reading and re-reading 7.08 (and its FED equivalent) as well as the 2.00 definition of "tag".

Please tell me I'm not crazy and this BU just made it up!
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:44pm

I cannot tell you that you are not crazy (I don't know, are you?), but this umpire definitely made up this bunch of B.S. Any tag on a runner must be done by the ball in glove or the ball in the bare hand. Those are the only two ways it can be done. That any part of the body stuff only applies to tagging the base on a force, not the runner.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

BU is full 'o BS
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

GOOD answer Steve - you wouldn't by chance be a fellow attorney would you?
This was the same BU who told a coach that if R2 leads off 20 feet from the base and the pitcher throws to the shortstop who tags him it would be a balk because the pitcher "can only throw to a BASE". Last time I checked the bases we use don't have gloves and generally throwing "to a base" results in the ball bouncing up in the air and landing somewhere.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:54pm

Yes, I really worry about this guy. I remember you mentioned that other play. If you know this guy, I would suggest you try to explain the proper way to call these plays. He should not be allowed to work U15 games. It sounds like LL Minors at best. Does his assignor know about his lack of basic rule knowledge? On these forums, we discuss some pretty technical things, with different rule interpretations and all. But stuff like tagging a runner with an empty glove is so painfully obvious that it makes you wonder how this guy slipped past the radar. He needs a rules clinic, and fast!!!
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
GOOD answer Steve - you wouldn't by chance be a fellow attorney would you?
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Steve - the problem is there are two umpire associations in this area and he works for the other one. And, I swear, they must TEACH these guys some of this stuff because PU was on board with him as well.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same situation some years ago. I was BU in a men's league game. Runner at 1B, ground ball, F4 makes tag with glove with ball in bare hand. I call, "SAFE, NO TAG". F4 smiles and said I was the first ump who called him on the "tag".

Bob
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
This was the same BU who told a coach that if R2 leads off 20 feet from the base and the pitcher throws to the shortstop who tags him it would be a balk because the pitcher "can only throw to a BASE". .
Throwing the ball to a fielder who is not near the base and not making a move toward the base to catch a throw from the pitcher to make a play on a runner is only a balk if it is FIRST BASE.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 01:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I would like to see what Stevie would look like as Chris Farley trying out as a Chippendale dancer.....
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm really not that big.

I'm not even close to being as big as Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker either.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I cannot tell you that you are not crazy (I don't know, are you?), but this umpire definitely made up this bunch of B.S. Any tag on a runner must be done by the ball in glove or the ball in the bare hand. Those are the only two ways it can be done. That any part of the body stuff only applies to tagging the base on a force, not the runner.
Steve has it right. If there was no requirement to actually tag a runner with then all a catcher would ever have to do is block the plate and catch the ball before the runner arrived.

I checked through a lot of my notes and the only reference I can find to 'hot' concerns getting enough fluids to drink.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Arrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................ ..

I wish you all would stop posting my pictures on this forum, now the Feds are going to have to change my identity and relocate me again !!

Doug
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I thought you stayed in a van down by the river.......
Asleep at the wheel, Bob?

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Tim,

I believe Bob has enough to do without you telling him how to do his job. Are you my own personnel moderator now? If I had an ex-wife, I would know what it was like after dealing with the likes of you. Do yourself a favor and use the ignore button or stop whining like a little girl. You're really getting pathetic.
Great idea keeping this guy around, Bob. It must be for comic relief because I don't see any other reason. How many posts of his have you and Mick deleted these past few months?

Tim.