Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by His High Holiness
Ok, let us take your argument to its logical conclusion. Umpires are athletes. We do not compete against another team, but we are part of the athletic process. So why not:

1. Fine batters for striking out with the winning run on base?
2. Fine shortstops for letting the ball go through their legs?
3. Fine coaches who give the steal size to the slowest runner on the team and he is thrown out but 10 feet?
4. Fine pitchers for throw meatballs on a 0-2 count?
5. Fine catchers for past balls?

etc. etc. etc.

Umpires no more deserve a fine for missing a call than an outfielder desrves a fine for dropping a can of corn. Stuff happens. The coach benches him. Likewise our assignors bench us for missing calls. It happens all the time. Believe me.

Peter
Players DO get fined and reprimanded for this- in what they lovingly call KANGAROO COURT...and to that end, our umpire's association has implemented it as well.
Miss a rotation? Face a penalty.
Exceedingly poor calls? Penalty.
Over-calling games? Penalty.
Showing up late? Penalty.
And so on.

Penalties are, for the most part, mild enough to still be humorous, but 'stiff' enough to get attention. Most of them are just for kicks- forcing them to show up early, or teach the association the positioning that they missed, or shine theirs AND their partner's shoes.
The point is not to punish, but to point out areas where people need work,and draw attention to it in a fun way, rather than have people talk about it behind people's backs.

The umpires don't work for the league, they work for the umpires association, which is contracted by the league- so any evaluation or disciplining that needs to be done will be done by the employer- the umpire's association.

Bainer.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

SD Steve,

I believe, if you read the post in question carefully, you will see that it was posed as a "hypothetical".

Besides, I'm sure that any manager worth his salt who would pull such a boneheaded "error of omission" when his players had played so well (and the umpiring was truly "top notch"), would already feel pretty miserable about it - so I don't see the point of further emabarrassing him in a public forum such as this by mentioning his name.

Besides, anyone can make a mistake. I know I've certainly made my share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
**DOUBLE the fine for called third strikes.

Bob
Bob,

As a coach, I find your suggestion quite appealing.

JM
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
SD Steve,

I believe, if you read the post in question carefully, you will see that it was posed as a "hypothetical".
Hypothetical, my behind.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgedaddy
Why dont we ever hear about umpires,or any officials,for that matter,that get fined or repremanded or demoted for makind obvious bad calls.Why are they the," sacred cows" of sports? No one can question their ability to do their job properly,not even AFTER a game.A player,a coach,even an owner,can get fined BIG money,for just making a comment about an officials incompentence during a game,that may have even determined the outcome of THAT game.I understand that that they are human,just like the rest of us,and they will make mistakes,just like the rest of us,SO LET THEM SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES,just like the rest of us.
I have two questions for you, neither of which do I expect you to answer...

(1) When was the last time ONE solitary call determined the outcome of a game? Think hard about the possibilities before you answer.

(2) How many calls does an umpire make in an average game? A batter may
get five at-bats in a game, and if he hits in three of them. He's had a great game. If he does it for a career, he winds up in the Hall of Fame. Bearing these questions/facts in mind, how many calls can an umpire miss, and still have a higher "batting" average than a HOF 'er ?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Why dont we ever hear about umpires,or any officials,for that matter,that get fined or repremanded or demoted for makind obvious bad calls.Why are they the," sacred cows" of sports? No one can question their ability to do their job properly,not even AFTER a game.A player,a coach,even an owner,can get fined BIG money,for just making a comment about an officials incompentence during a game,that may have even determined the outcome of THAT game.I understand that that they are human,just like the rest of us,and they will make mistakes,just like the rest of us,SO LET THEM SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES,just like the rest of us.
Maybe the umps need to start pointing out the mistakes the the managers and players make that cost their team a win.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Jeeze,my question was,why dont we ever hear about officials getting fined or repremanded for poor job performance.And why is it against the rule for coaches or players to speak their minds if they think someone is not up to standards.

SORRY for asking such a stupid question,all of you have a great day.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jeeze,my question was,why dont we ever hear about officials getting fined or repremanded for poor job performance.
for the same reason that i dont hear about you being repremanded for poor performance at your job.

Quote:
And why is it against the rule for coaches or players to speak their minds if they think someone is not up to standards.
ive heard this a lot, but can you define what standards you are talking about? please refer to direct quotes or numbers from said standard.

Quote:
no problem, and you too.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jeeze,my question was,why dont we ever hear about officials getting fined or repremanded for poor job performance.And why is it against the rule for coaches or players to speak their minds if they think someone is not up to standards.

Hmm, odd for a troll to quit so soon. So many forums, so little time....
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 05:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
How sad is this?
Well, why don't you take this good piece of advice?
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 02:56pm

Wow, it took you 20 hours to come up with that one. Good job.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Steve, just wanted to say that I appreciate your not hitting the "quote" button when you reply to his crap - that way I don't even have to read it in the replies!
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 12:27pm

You're welcome. Thanks for reminding me, he's going back on the list.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually, we do "hear about it." A number of officials have lost assignments , been fired or publicly criticized by their superiors over the years. One only needs to have moderately competent reading skills and access to the sports section of a newspaper to "hear about it."

It is agains the rules for game participants to engage in that behavior because they have, in the past, abused that behavior to intimidate officials, even some who did nothing wrong, and incite fans. They hoped to shape future decisions by those officials.

The powers-to-be undestand that the integrity of the game is important enough to keep the participants from directly accusing and "threatening" the officials in public. Participants may still complain, but they need to go through the appropriate channels.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Steve, just wanted to say that I appreciate your not hitting the "quote" button when you reply to his crap - that way I don't even have to read it in the replies!
Yeah, but if the quote button wasn't used a lot of us would never know that he posted. Somehow all his posts vanish. Is auto-delete an option I missed somewhere?
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Yeah, the guy is an amateur compared to you, Cornbread.......

More constructive input from this guy, Bob.

Sheesh.........

Tim.