View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgedaddy
Why dont we ever hear about umpires,or any officials,for that matter,that get fined or repremanded or demoted for makind obvious bad calls.Why are they the," sacred cows" of sports? No one can question their ability to do their job properly,not even AFTER a game.A player,a coach,even an owner,can get fined BIG money,for just making a comment about an officials incompentence during a game,that may have even determined the outcome of THAT game.I understand that that they are human,just like the rest of us,and they will make mistakes,just like the rest of us,SO LET THEM SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES,just like the rest of us.
I have two questions for you, neither of which do I expect you to answer...

(1) When was the last time ONE solitary call determined the outcome of a game? Think hard about the possibilities before you answer.

(2) How many calls does an umpire make in an average game? A batter may
get five at-bats in a game, and if he hits in three of them. He's had a great game. If he does it for a career, he winds up in the Hall of Fame. Bearing these questions/facts in mind, how many calls can an umpire miss, and still have a higher "batting" average than a HOF 'er ?