The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

PDX, your axe grinding doesnt do you well here, considering the thread...soapbox somewhere else
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Just returning the second guessing favor to the AMLU guys. No soapbox. I KNOW what I am about. I got about another month and a half of poking fun at these idiots to settle the score!

Of course, when I did PCL games, we didn't have anything close to something like this happen. In fact, in the 30 or so games in Portland, there were only 2 ejections, and they were the normal garden variety types.

I am facinated by the fact that the AMLU guys recieve so little respect from managers and players! The way they (AMLU umpires) put it while replacements were working, there should be NO problems right now!!! I just don't understand why there are SO many stories in such a short amount of time about how these guys are blowing calls, and not be very "good" in a series and what not.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:43pm

I must say I agree with PDX, WWTB, and the rest of the guys on this side of the debate. For weeks all we heard was how great the AMLU umpires are, and how when they come back everything will be just Jim Dandy, and the scabs don't have any game management skills. Now we see that the managers and players are no more enamoured with the regular guys than they were with the replacements. Everything is not rosy peachy keen as advertised, and the games are not running smooth as silk upon the return of the minor league umpires.

Anybody who doesn't see the irony in this is not looking at it without bias.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

hmmmmmmmmm
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Managers & Players will complain

Managers and players will complain, that's what they do.

What bothered me most about the AMLU's publicizing of these types of incidents when the replacment umpires were doing the games was their suggestion that it would not happen if they were working. Everyone with half a brain knows these incidents happen no matter who the umpires are or how good they are.

The AMLU made a huge deal over the manager pulling his team off the field in disgust. They didn't mention that he was behind 11-5 or that the opposing team had batted around twice on his pitcher at the time he pulled his players off the field for their "safety." Think he would have pulled his team off the field leading 11-5? Heck no.

There is some healing that needs to go on in the umpire community and the AMLU needs to take the lead in that. It would help if their members stopped circulating a blacklist to try to prevent amateur guys from getting work.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:56pm

Off topic and irrelevant to the conversation, but other than that, a ridiculous analogy.

Referring to PWL's post (for clarification)
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Man you guys are bitter. You worked the games, you were used as a pawn and now you want to try to explain away your actions. Did you expect that everyone was going to pat you on the back when the strike was on? Many of you only worked at one site the entire time and you were let go after the strike was over. Get over it already.

I do not believe that many amateur umpires would have been as calm and cool as these guys. These union guys handled themselves perfectly.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I do know that I look MUCH better in my uniform than the above! Are those combo pants? Has he heard of a tailor?
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Well, I do know that I look MUCH better in my uniform than the above! Are those combo pants? Has he heard of a tailor?

Maybe had you not dimished his ability to bargain for a fair wage by accepting his work, he could afford a tailor.

Tim.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

The manager is just expressing his joy that the strike is over
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Maybe had you not dimished his ability to bargain for a fair wage by accepting his work, he could afford a tailor.

Tim.
For only working part time for less than half the year, he makes very good money! He probably isn't even worth what he DOES make really!
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
The manager is just expressing his joy that the strike is over
ROFLMAO!!!
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is funny that the UMP's that were "Terrible" and lacked "GAME MANAGEMENT SKILLS" somehow diminished the Unions ability to negotiate. Wouldn't those types of people actually strengthen the AMLU position???

What actually happend was that the UMP's were in fact good, maybe even (but probably not) AS good , but still GOOD, I guess one might say "GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE GAL WE GO WITH" So that effected their ability to negotiate. They positioned them elves as irreplaceable and were shown to be WAY off on their belief. They felt they were worth more because the were the BEST option and no other OPTION WAS CLOSE. The Strike PROVED THE AMLU WRONG. The first thought they had was WHO CARES if people cross WE ARE HEADS AND SHOULDERS better. but that wasn't the case. The Strike proved that they were not worth that much more because the MARKET would show that the MiLB could pay the same price for a similar product.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Hey now - the kids are stuck with what MiLB sends them (+POS screwed up this year & MiLB had to send some Honigs pants out. Some guys got no plate pants & some got only plate pants. The exchanges are just now catching up).

Just an FYI - this manager has a looooonnnngggg history of umpire abuse. Even the fill-in's had problems with him and his players.

The league president (Moss) is gutless. If this happend in either of the AAA leagues or any of the other A leagues Mikilik(sp) would be heaviliy fines and suspended for at least 10 games.

**** Now for the interesting part ****

due to an injury, the next crew into Ashville is going to have a fill-in, at least for a couple games. Unless Mikilik is suspended first, let's see who he picks on ... anyone for a pool?