The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I saw an incident in Kannapolis (South Atlantic League) last year that was handled differently. The Charleston(SC) skipper had already been out once to question the BU on a balk call. Later in the game, there was a bang-bang play at first. The BU called the batter runner safe and out came the Charleston skipper. The argument started out mildly but then got heated. The BU tossed the skipper and then the guy went nuts. He "beaked" the BU with the bill of his cap. The PU had worked his way from homeplate to about half-way between the mound and the plate when it got heated. As soon as the ejection happened and it got violent, he moved in. I thought he moved a little too slow, but he did move in. He ran interference, without touching the manager, until the ejected manager left the field.

Some time after, I emailed the BU and asked him about the incident. He said the manager actually busted his lip when he hit him. There was a fine issued and a suspension of something like 3 games. The only difference I can see here between the incident I saw and the one on Sunday is that in the Kannapolis incident the manager definitely made contact with the BU. Mikilluk went out of his way not to touch either umpire directly. Mind you that I don't condone anything he did at all.

I got to say that none of us really has a great answer for why the umpires did what they did. Only they can answer for that. Some people want to think because they are A-ball umpires they are the studs of the umpiring world. Some want to think they are bumbling idiots. The truth is they are somewhere in between. They are two young guys learning how to umpire at the professional level. I don't know if they made a mistake because I don't know how they are trained and directed to respond in a case like this. I do know that this, along with other incidents they will face, will be part of their development. What they learned from this and how they apply it in the future will be part of what keeps the moving up the ladder or not..

Lawrence
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Just returning the second guessing favor to the AMLU guys. No soapbox. I KNOW what I am about. I got about another month and a half of poking fun at these idiots to settle the score!

I'll guess what your all about in one guess.......clown act?

Of course, when I did PCL games, we didn't have anything close to something like this happen. In fact, in the 30 or so games in Portland, there were only 2 ejections, and they were the normal garden variety types.

Of course...like an arrogent clown act

I am facinated by the fact that the AMLU guys recieve so little respect from managers and players! The way they (AMLU umpires) put it while replacements were working, there should be NO problems right now!!! I just don't understand why there are SO many stories in such a short amount of time about how these guys are blowing calls, and not be very "good" in a series and what not.
Because Rats are Rats ..they would ***** if Doug Harvey was out there....
My question to you is, if your the hot ticket..then why aren't you working pro ball full time? I'm sure your skill set would demand due respect from managers and players.....it's sad that baseball is missing out on your true talents..the Walter Mitty of MLB....

your turn....

griff
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Wow

This made my local news last night. For some reason the link didn't let me play the video.

All I can say is wow.

The news anchor commented after sports, saying: "What an example for our kids."

She was being sarcastic.

Dude should be suspended for the balance of the season, at least.

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Dorsey
The Charleston(SC) skipper had already been out once to question the BU on a balk call. Later in the game, there was a bang-bang play at first. The BU called the batter runner safe and out came the Charleston skipper. The argument started out mildly but then got heated. The BU tossed the skipper and then the guy went nuts. He "beaked" the BU with the bill of his cap. The PU had worked his way from homeplate to about half-way between the mound and the plate when it got heated. As soon as the ejection happened and it got violent, he moved in. I thought he moved a little too slow, but he did move in. He ran interference, without touching the manager, until the ejected manager left the field.
I knew this Charleston skipper for about 3 years and he's as *** off the field too. He has 2 sons and it's kinda comical yet sad how he gets pissed at his kids for not throwing or stepping and/or hitting the right way. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they both give up baseball just because their dad jammed it down their throat.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
This made my local news last night. For some reason the link didn't let me play the video.

All I can say is wow.

The news anchor commented after sports, saying: "What an example for our kids."

She was being sarcastic.

Dude should be suspended for the balance of the season, at least.
He was suspended for 7 games and a $1000 fine.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

He's a disgrace to baseball. It would have taken everything in me not to cuss dude out and punch him in the face. What a joke! Even if the calls didn't go his way, there is absolutely no reason to act like that. He should be fired
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 04:40pm
M.A.S.H.

I could careless about the clown coach who acted like an ***. What should come out of this is how professional the umpires acted. Major kudos for keeping their cool!
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

7 games and a grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJN
He was suspended for 7 games and a $1000 fine.
Wow. I mean really. That's the league trying to slap his wrist and missing. What do we expect from this guy or others the next time something like this happens? "It was worth it."

That, friends and neighbors, is what you call a piss-poor call. Not by the umpire- by the league.

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Hey now - the kids are stuck with what MiLB sends them (+POS screwed up this year & MiLB had to send some Honigs pants out. Some guys got no plate pants & some got only plate pants. The exchanges are just now catching up).

Just an FYI - this manager has a looooonnnngggg history of umpire abuse. Even the fill-in's had problems with him and his players.

The league president (Moss) is gutless. If this happend in either of the AAA leagues or any of the other A leagues Mikilik(sp) would be heaviliy fines and suspended for at least 10 games.

**** Now for the interesting part ****

due to an injury, the next crew into Ashville is going to have a fill-in, at least for a couple games. Unless Mikilik is suspended first, let's see who he picks on ... anyone for a pool?
Good Lord, I need waders whenever I read what you write Jim.

We read stories and saw photos from the AMLU of replacement umpires who were chastised for the way they looked. This guy looks like he borrowed Shaq's pants. If you can't afford a tailor, then maybe you should get a new career. Cops, teachers, broom pushers don't go out looking like that and expect to be called 'professional'.

Next topic: Mikulik was fined $1,000 and suspended 7 games. He is not in AAA so don't compare the two. He is a hot head, but all of the MiLB woes for the first four weeks were aimed at the repacements - even Delmon Young's idiotic behavior. You can't have it both ways...if you blame the umpires then, you have to do the same now.

Finally, I'll take your bet. He will keep ripping on the umpires who he believes make the bad calls. Did you miss his comment, "I thought the strike was over...the whole series was a joke."? That whole series was officiated by...ummmm, you guessed it - AMLU wonderkids.

Like I said, the difference between A ball and your local college scene is not very drastic. There is a reason why those guys are in that league - the umpires and the players.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Stone Cold Stunner, and he'd be out for the count.

Oh yes, complete with the middle fingers and violent drinking of beer afterwards.
Ok Bossman..you win. Can I join?? HAHAHA.

You know, sometimes I miss watching the WWF..or whatever the he11 it's called these days....
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

The base umpire had a classic look of "DEER IN THE HEAD LIGHTS"

or a part time 3rd shift security guard and the bad guy has just shown up (manager) OH S**T.....

The plate umpire never left the dirt cut out around the plate. Never tried to help his partner ....AT ALL....

and when the bad guy approached the plate umpire, it was real clear he wanted to be "ANY WHERE BUT IN THAT MOMENT IN TIME".

but I have to say the combo pants were a nice touch...a little long and baggy but nice touch none the less.

now maybe just maybe the Amlu will start a web site and put the base umpires picture on it as a model for how professional umpires and us amatures should dress to look the part!!!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Fines, fees and costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Next topic: Mikulik was fined $1,000 and suspended 7 games. He is not in AAA so don't compare the two. He is a hot head, but all of the MiLB woes for the first four weeks were aimed at the repacements - even Delmon Young's idiotic behavior. You can't have it both ways...if you blame the umpires then, you have to do the same now.
WWTB: Are you suggesting that this punishment is appropriate for Mikulik? Are you saying that what Young got vis-a-vis what Mikulik got is equitable based on (a) Young's physical assault with throwing the bat and (b) the fact that Mikulik's tirade happened in A ball as opposed to AAA, where Young's happened?

If that is indeed your position, I respectfully dissent.

I didn't blame the replacement umpire for Delmond Young throwing a bat at him, by the way. I blamed Delmond Young. I think MiLB took appropriate action in his case.

I do not believe they punished Mikulik nearly enough. A grand and 7 days? Are you kidding me? And if one chooses to bring the old "AMLU-vs.-replacements" into this debate, here's the simple message MiLB just sent: we had the back of the replacements; we'll leave the AMLU guys twisting in the wind.

That's bad for umpires, bad for the Minor Leagues and ultimately, bad for baseball.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:36am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
I do not believe they punished Mikulik nearly enough. A grand and 7 days? Are you kidding me?
Forgive my ignorance, but how much does a minor league manager make? I read somewhere that they average $35,000 a year, though that data may be outdated. I would assume single-A managers would make below the average. So a grand might be a strong percentage of Mikulik's salary.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Forgive my ignorance, but how much does a minor league manager make? I read somewhere that they average $35,000 a year,
But is that for 5 months, or all year? What's the per deim? Are their uniform furnished? Do they have other jobs? Medical? Group plans?