The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:39pm
Administrator

Number of bases awarded?

I think it was last year or the year before, I either read an article or heard someone say during a MLB game that a batted ball that strikes the ceiling of the MetroDome over fair territory is a homerun (a four base award). This leads me to two questions.

Question #1: Is my memory correct about the MetroDome?

Question #2: Many municipal pard diamonds have backstops with overhangs. Some of these overhangs extend over fair territory. If a batted ball strikes the overhang over fair territory, is this a fair ball or a foul ball? If this is a fair ball what is the correct ruling?

I would like NFHS, NCAA, and MLB rulings please. Thanks in advance.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Mark,

It looks like the ceiling in the Metrodome is treated like "air" - that is, a batted ball that hits the ceiling is treated as "in flight". It's not an "automatic" home run, but it could become one if it continued out of play in fair territory after hitting the ceiling.

You can find the ground rules for the Metrodome and all of the other MLB parks at the link below.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...ound_rules.jsp

In terms of local fields with overhangs extending over fair territory, every time I've played on one a batted ball hitting the overhang has been treated as foul by ground rule. If I were a visiting manager and the home manager suggested this be treated as fair, I would object per OBR 3.13.

JM
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

taken from MLB.com:
Minnesota Twins - Metrodome

* Foul poles are in fair territory. Ball hitting roof or speakers in fair territory: if caught by fielder, batter is out and fielders advance at their own risk.
* Ball hitting roof or speakers in fair territory shall be judged fair or foul in relation to where it hits the ground or is touched by a fielder.
* Any ball that hits the speaker or roof in foul territory is a foul ball; if, however, the ball is caught by fielder, the batter is out and base runners advance at their own risk.
* A ball that hits speaker in foul territory and ricochets back into fair territory is still a foul ball; if the ball is caught by fielder, the batter is out and base runners advance at their own risk.

as for your second question: i havent worked one of those fields in forever, but the last time i did one, it was considered a foul ball. i dont have a ruling, besides my ruling that those fences are the stupidest ever and im glad i havent worked with one in a while.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

JM beat me to the punch. damn it.