The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 02:11pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Pregame Checklist

Hi Everybody,

I'm going to be working with some younger umpires this season and I want to make sure I have a thorough pregame with them...before reinventing the wheel, does anybody have a Pregame Checklist that they'd be willing to share so I can use it to help younger umpires. For the most part, I work with the same people or experienced umpires where our pregames are very fast...a newer guy, I obviously can't take the same things for granted. Thanks for sharing your pregame checklists if you wish.

Thanks,
John
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I cover the following during my pre-game with a partner.

*Fair/foul responsibilities.

*Catch and tag responsibilities.

*Touch of base responsibilities.

*Pulled foot/swipe tag help if needed.

*First to third rotation with R1 only.

*Signs/signals for;

IFF
Timing plays
First to third

*With a newer umpire; check swing appeals.

I probably forgot something, but these are the basics.

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 03:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Hi Everybody,

I'm going to be working with some younger umpires this season and I want to make sure I have a thorough pregame with them...before reinventing the wheel, does anybody have a Pregame Checklist that they'd be willing to share so I can use it to help younger umpires. For the most part, I work with the same people or experienced umpires where our pregames are very fast...a newer guy, I obviously can't take the same things for granted. Thanks for sharing your pregame checklists if you wish.

Thanks,
John

The most important thing on the plate umpire's check list: His breathing apparatus.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Checklist

Ump's pre-game conference:
1) properly protected, 2) proper discussion about close play w/ ump
3) local rules (last innning) or updated rules (speed game btw. innings) and
4) home field ground rules {holes, hazards}, and DBT near OF foul lines/dugout
--

Ump training 101
Visual signals between umpires for assistance (ex. count on SB, IFF sitch, etc.), PU and BU equipment (color of undershirt and socks), pre-game conference outline, communication and hustle, mange in/out warmup btwn innings, mechanics on check swings, basecoach appeals, balks, etc., and base coverage situations and rotations.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have a bouncing ball up to the front of the bag, if it bounces over the bag it's your call. I will take overthrows at 1B with no one on, and I will come up the line to look for pulled foot or swipe tag, in case you need it. I don't expect you will but I will be there anyway. I will take all routine fly balls when you are at 1B. If you go out on a trouble ball I will take the runner to 2b and then 3rd. You have him if he goes home. When you are in the middle I will take LF'er, RF'er, 3Bman, 1Bman moving toward the line, you have them straight away or moving toward the middle. With a runner on 1B I will take him into 3B if a ground ball leaves the infield, otherwise you have him. On a check swing I am automatic, if they ask I come to you, wherever you are. Give me what you got, if I missed a strike I want it back. If the batter fouls one off his body and I don't kill it kill it for me. With a runner on 1B and 2B with less than 2 outs and a fly ball to outfield I will come up to 3B to take the runner into 3rd. On rundowns you have both ends until you hear me say "I've got this end". That means I am in position. Until you hear me I'm not there yet. This if the sign for infield fly, this is the sign for wiping it off, this is the sign to remind of a possible timing play.

Any questions?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Cup, chest protector, mask, shin guards.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi Everybody,

Thanks,
John
Pregame for survival:
  • Catch/no catch and tags/touches when BU is in A, and when BU is in B or C.
  • Rotations with bases empty triple, R1 only, R1 and R3, and R1 and R2 with less than 2 outs.
  • When BU will go out from A, and what PU will do when he does
  • Signals - infield fly situation, what's the count I forgot, and GLM in the stands
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Cup, chest protector, mask, shin guards.
That's your pregame with your partner?
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
That's your pregame with your partner?

Well, Bob's on pretty friendly terms with his "partners."

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I have a bouncing ball up to the front of the bag, if it bounces over the bag it's your call. I will take overthrows at 1B with no one on, and I will come up the line to look for pulled foot or swipe tag, in case you need it. I don't expect you will but I will be there anyway. I will take all routine fly balls when you are at 1B. If you go out on a trouble ball I will take the runner to 2b and then 3rd. You have him if he goes home. When you are in the middle I will take LF'er, RF'er, 3Bman, 1Bman moving toward the line, you have them straight away or moving toward the middle. With a runner on 1B I will take him into 3B if a ground ball leaves the infield, otherwise you have him. On a check swing I am automatic, if they ask I come to you, wherever you are. Give me what you got, if I missed a strike I want it back. If the batter fouls one off his body and I don't kill it kill it for me. With a runner on 1B and 2B with less than 2 outs and a fly ball to outfield I will come up to 3B to take the runner into 3rd. On rundowns you have both ends until you hear me say "I've got this end". That means I am in position. Until you hear me I'm not there yet. This if the sign for infield fly, this is the sign for wiping it off, this is the sign to remind of a possible timing play.

Any questions?

Here in CT we are down on the BU covering the PU at a play at home when the PU is up the line.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

Thanks,
John
Don't go out when you are in B or C. You call the wedge, I'll get the rest.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

sounds good. thanks guys!
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I very occasionally work softball with female partners!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Here in CT we are down on the BU covering the PU at a play at home when the PU is up the line.
Translate please for us Southern boys. What does "down on" mean? I assume this is in reference to BU going out on a play and having to cover home and we don't consider this covering the PU, but the BU's job.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Translate please for us Southern boys. What does "down on" mean? I assume this is in reference to BU going out on a play and having to cover home and we don't consider this covering the PU, but the BU's job.

And please translate for the adults here, even those of us who are native northeasterners.