The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wish to enter a general request for all coaches to actually read the rule book before challenging refs on the rules. Two coaches tried this on me today.
1st coach calls for traveling on a throwin near the table. "He's moving his feet, he can't do that."
"Yes, he can."
"No, he can't."
Throw in gets stolen by his team, and I blow the ball dead (stopped a would-be layup for his team, mind you) and inform the coach that the rule gives only the three foot parameter.
"You mean he can do this?" He marches in place.
"Yes."
"He didn't think that was the rule." Points to the other coach.
Me, walking away.

#2. Start of 3rd quarter. Red ball. I hand the ball to the A1, and A2 insists to A1 that he should throw it in. A1 tosses the ball to A2 who promptly steps out of bounds to throw it in. Tweet. Violation.
A's AC tries telling me the thrower can pass to a teammate out of bounds. This is just too good.
I was laughing so hard during this game, though, that I didn't have the presence of mind to ask the HC to control his AC. Ended up ringing the HC up in the 4th quarter.

Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

I didn't find out until the next to last game of the season that it is illegal for a defender to poke the ball out from behind. If it wasn't for that coach, I would have gone my whole career without this gem of knowledge.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 02:09am
M.A.S.H.

I wasn't aware that pushing off your opponents back, on a rebound, was a cheap foul until my last game of the season (Friday). Also, this is a real common one, it's a violation to be in the lane three seconds before the play is inbounded.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

I had one at a game three weeks ago where the player took steps on a spot throw-in and someone yelled "Travelling".

Only it was the ref. Said afterwards, "He's not allowed to move three feet, that was the old rule." His partner just shrugged.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Maybe, in addition to the "are your players properly equipped" question, we can add in another question:

"Coach, have you read this year's rulebook and casebook, and agree that any complaint you have will be based on the correct rule and/or interpretation?"

With the "his feet were moving," I usually get that when I call a PC foul and the defender was set, but then moved legally. My usual response - "So?"
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I wasn't aware that pushing off your opponents back, on a rebound, was a cheap foul until my last game of the season (Friday).
I know. I was informed this week by a coach that taking both hands and pushing a post player in the back so they get displaced by about 2 feet is a "cheap foul".

Gee, I guess I still have a lot to learn after all these years.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I wish they would teach or atleast inform us about this stuff at the beginning of the season. Hmmm.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 01:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I wasn't aware that pushing off your opponents back, on a rebound, was a cheap foul until my last game of the season (Friday).
I know. I was informed this week by a coach that taking both hands and pushing a post player in the back so they get displaced by about 2 feet is a "cheap foul".

Gee, I guess I still have a lot to learn after all these years.
It's cheap only because apparently a lot of officials are too busy watching the ball handler to notice this activity.

I get at least a few off-ball calls like this every game and I certainly can't be alone there. I enjoy off-ball officiating so much that sometimes (especially after working a lot of 3-whistle and moving back to 2) I forget I have on-ball coverage. Whoops.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

What exactly is an expensive foul, coach?
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 04:20pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Maybe, in addition to the "are your players properly equipped" question, we can add in another question:

"Coach, have you read this year's rulebook and casebook, and agree that any complaint you have will be based on the correct rule and/or interpretation?"
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game today where A1 boxes out B2 and moves him back about three feet. TWEET. Push. All 5 of Team A come around me to let me know that what he did was boxing out and it was perfectly legal. They told me that what A1 did was the definition of boxing out in the rulebook. I almost laughed right in their face but rather asked them to bring me the definition in the rulebook next week. Or at least where it says they can move another player 3 feet legal.

They were all dumbfounded.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Today, I had a coach who's also in his rookie year as an official.

He was chirping about every single call. But the one that really made me laugh. His shorter player was trying to rebound the ball, a taller player for the other team reached over her back without contact and grabbed the ball. He went nuts saying we should call "over the back" It earned him a warning.

The T came from me after I made a player control call. The defender had established LGP and ducked to brace herself for the contact. Easy call, as I go to report it he's yelling about it, very loudly, I was in the reporting box and I'm sure the fans could hear, "you can't call a charge, she's moving etc..." so I whacked him, didn't say a word for the rest of the game
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I've said this before, but maybe the coaches should have to take the same closed book rules test (PT II) we do every year - score a minimum 75% or you can't coach........nah, it'll never fly......
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
Had a game today where A1 boxes out B2 and moves him back about three feet. TWEET. Push. All 5 of Team A come around me to let me know that what he did was boxing out and it was perfectly legal. They told me that what A1 did was the definition of boxing out in the rulebook. I almost laughed right in their face but rather asked them to bring me the definition in the rulebook next week. Or at least where it says they can move another player 3 feet legal.
I had one yesterday, where A1 stepped quickly into the paint while the shot was in the air, planted two hands on B1's back and moved her about 2 feet. Called it. Explained it briefly. Three minutes later, same A1 stepped quickly into the paint, did a 180 pivot, planted her behind in B2's back, and moved her about 2 feet. Called it again. Poor A1, is so confused!
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Question

SW- you made my night. I had a Y league game tonite (that I played in) and the other team started complaining about me "moving my pivot foot". I am 3 yrs. new at reffing but, was confident that I knew this rule. Unfortunately, I had to defend myself to 2 officials that understood it differently.

Help me understand...did you do this b/c the coach was complaining about the no call? Why wouldn't you wait for a dead ball??

"I blow the ball dead (stopped a would-be layup for his team, mind you) and inform the coach that the rule gives only the three foot parameter."

Thanks
John