The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Screw-ups

There are so many posters on this board and other boards that are so quick to post about a screw-up by an umpire that they saw on TV, that I'm surprised no one has posted about the screw-up in the Georgia vs. FSU game on Sunday (late) afternoon.

I know the game was only on regional tv in the Southeast, but I know there are a lot of posters from that area of the country...one of them had to have been watching the game. In addition, a picture of the screw-up ran on the national AP wire.

Let's just say it involved the plate umpire getting physically in the way of the catcher attempting to make a tag on the runner coming home from third. (And that sentence is the equavilent of me saying that "Romeo and Juliet is a love story"...in otherwords there's a lot more to it.).

You can see an AP photo here:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...648ce87c08e8bc

OK...now lets all post about how we can learn from this mistake...
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

This has been posted on the ABUA website, just FYI.

I watched this game and the play on TV. I dont know what the PU was thinking....but its not fixable, he's a part of the field and you cannot assume a tag in his absence (IMO).
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
This has been posted on the ABUA website, just FYI.

I watched this game and the play on TV. I dont know what the PU was thinking....but its not fixable, he's a part of the field and you cannot assume a tag in his absence (IMO).
What...the website (ABUA) that's here today, gone tomorrow... (Just joking, I know the hackers have been unmerciful.)

IMO, I agree with your "IMO".
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Please fill in the details.

"Novak originally ruled Peisel safe but reversed his call and ruled him out."

What transpired?
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I had a similar situation last season.

My partner, PU, stepped into the basepath to clean the plate, while a runner was advancing from 3rd (he assumed a Bang, Bang double play at 1st that wasn't).

He litterally knocks the runner down, the catcher receives the ball, walks over to the runner and tags him out. My partner calls him out. Talk about a $hit house.

After the game, this guy tries to chew me out for not calling the batter out at 1st. I said the runner beat the throw by a full step. He says, then you should have YELLED safe, so he would know.

Yell Safe on a play that is not even close ? Some guys have never looked in a mirror.

Let me add:

About 50% of our association have scratched themselves from working with this guy.
He doesn't show up for at least half the games he is assigned.
Why is he still in our association ? That's a whole other discussion !

Nick

Last edited by nickrego; Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 01:41pm.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
"Novak originally ruled Peisel safe but reversed his call and ruled him out."

What transpired?
R3 less than 2 outs (I think 0 outs). Ground ball to F3, who records the force out at first base. F3 throws to F2. R3 looks like he is going to be toast. F2 (who is a few feet up the third base line) reaches out to his left to apply the tag on R3 (who is still running, as opposed to attempting to slide) only to find the HPU between him and the runner. R3 also manages to run into HPU. The HPU is in the middle of the play (he was standing 3-5 feet up the third base line, right near the foul line...click on the link I provided above...that picture will give you a pretty good idea of where everyone was).

R3 misses the plate (more than likely because of the contact with the HPU). F2 has not applied a tag. Instead of trying to go and touch the plate, R3 acts very upset (at the umpire) and continues backing up toward the backstop yelling at (or about) the umpire. F2 runs all the way to the backstop and tags R3.

Umpire, apparently was going to call R3 safe on some type of interference, but ultimately (after a crew huddle) they let the out stand.

Last edited by lawump; Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 01:43pm.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Saw a situation similar to this a few years ago. Runner at second, line drive hit out to the centerfielder. CF comes up firing as runner tries to score. I’m watching the throw coming in and I hear someone yelling “LOOK OUT!!” I turn to the plate and see the runner just plow into the plate umpire about three feet from the plate. Both go down like a sac of potatoes. Catcher, grabs the throw coming in, walks over to the runner and tags him while the plate umpire, still on his back, rings up the runner. Needless to say, an ejection followed shortly.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

what the hell is the ump doing standing in the baseline? Didn't anybody teach him to find 3rd baseline extended and move with the throw?

Hey coach, i still haven't put the ball in play.