The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Angry

Had a girls fast pitch game last night and little by little, I just kept screwing up. The first was an Infield Fly that I did not call. Bases were loaded and it was a blooper to 2B. High enough to be called. Just flat out missed it. I should've paid more attention to the situation at hand.

The next was a pitch that clearly hit the ground, then hit the batters foot. In my opinion, it wasn't enough to award first base. The batter even tried to reach down and stop the ball before it hit her. Therefore, no award... Few batters later, same thing. Ball hits ground, batter tried to bail out and it hits her foot. Again, no award, but looking back, it should've. This probably happened 5 or 6 times during the game. All, but the first, I think should've been awards to 1st that I did not give. I simply screwed up!

The last was a bases loaded, 1 out, infield fly that I did call. Pitcher drops the ball and runners advance. I see nothing wrong. A parent/fan yells to the pitcher, "through it to third, she didn't tag up". Now, I'm thinking to myself, did I miss something? Once the inning is over, I go to the coach and tell him that it should've been an appeal play. Coach says to me, "what do you mean, she dropped the ball". I told him that he was right and walked away thinking that I just put my foot in my mouth. Next time I should just shut my mouth.

All in all, finished the game without getting strangled. I feel like I just totally screwed up.

Thanks for listening....

ASA Cadet

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

What???? No partner?????

Sounds like you just need to slow down a bit and work to build your confidence.

And...NEVER listen to somebody from the crowd!

ANY TIME a batter is hit by the pitch, unless they clearly make no attempt to avoid being hit, THEY ARE AWARDED FIRST BASE!

Hope this helps!
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

At least you care enough to think about your mistakes, learn from them, look for input/guidance, and get better. You're ahead of 75% of the umpires already. Keep it up!
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

No, I did not have a partner.

Thanks for your replies. This advise you guy's provide really helps.

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueump

ANY TIME a batter is hit by the pitch, unless they clearly make no attempt to avoid being hit, THEY ARE AWARDED FIRST BASE!

Not true. If the batter swings, the B is NOT awarded 1B. If it is in the strike zone, the B is NOT awarded 1B.

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not a person that posts in baseball/softball boards here can honestly admit they haven't had a game like yours. Keep your head up. Next time out you'll do better .
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

At least you care enough to want to do a good job.

Don't let a game like this eat you up, learn from it and move on. It's in the past, leave it there.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

dacodee:

The way you learn best is to make mistakes and not make them again. The longer you ump the less mistakes you will make but you still make them. Forgive yourself and move on. When I think I don't make mistakes I better quit.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
Not a person that posts in baseball/softball boards here can honestly admit they haven't had a game like yours. Keep your head up. Next time out you'll do better .
Hey, tonight I was the worst umpire in the world and will never get out of the local parks!!!

Forget the five fly balls dropped in the OF, more than a dozen errors in the IF, the runners who stopped running and were thrown out, the dozen or so walks, the five HRs given up, it was all my fault the team lost because I called out the "big guy" on strikes with 2 out in the bottom of the seventh.

Isn't that a Linda Ronstadt song, "Poor, poor pitiful me"?

Don't worry about it, defication occurs to everyone. As long as you realize the issues and act to correct them you will be fine!

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dacodee
Had a girls fast pitch game last night and little by little, I just kept screwing up. The first was an Infield Fly that I did not call. Bases were loaded and it was a blooper to 2B. High enough to be called. Just flat out missed it. I should've paid more attention to the situation at hand.

The next was a pitch that clearly hit the ground, then hit the batters foot. In my opinion, it wasn't enough to award first base. The batter even tried to reach down and stop the ball before it hit her. Therefore, no award... Few batters later, same thing. Ball hits ground, batter tried to bail out and it hits her foot. Again, no award, but looking back, it should've. This probably happened 5 or 6 times during the game. All, but the first, I think should've been awards to 1st that I did not give. I simply screwed up!

The last was a bases loaded, 1 out, infield fly that I did call. Pitcher drops the ball and runners advance. I see nothing wrong. A parent/fan yells to the pitcher, "through it to third, she didn't tag up". Now, I'm thinking to myself, did I miss something? Once the inning is over, I go to the coach and tell him that it should've been an appeal play. Coach says to me, "what do you mean, she dropped the ball". I told him that he was right and walked away thinking that I just put my foot in my mouth. Next time I should just shut my mouth.

All in all, finished the game without getting strangled. I feel like I just totally screwed up.

Thanks for listening....

ASA Cadet

One procedure of handling situations like this and all games is to keep a log.
After each game you call, make notes of events that took place that you were unsure,
or even sure you had problems. It will stick with you. I started this several years
ago when one of our esteem board members mentioned it. (Checks in the mail - Steve M.)
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not true. If the batter swings, the B is NOT awarded 1B. If it is in the strike zone, the B is NOT awarded 1B.
The original post was about balls hitting the ground first...unless that's part of your strike zone, she's awarded first base!
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Journaling

I totally agree that journaling is a great tool. I just get so much out of it. I also get to be specific about what i did right and my screw-ups. I am also finding that I learn the most when i screw up the most. I had , I believe, another screw up yesterday then will be another oppoturnity (sp)for learning. LOL
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:

The original post was about balls hitting the ground first...unless that's part of your strike zone, she's awarded first base!
Maybe you should be more careful what you post. You did not cite the original post or any part of it. You did, however, type ANY TIME and without additional clarification, your statement just isn't true.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you should be more careful what you post. You did not cite the original post or any part of it. You did, however, type ANY TIME and without additional clarification, your statement just isn't true.
Maybe you should stop bugger picking with responses and try to answer the original post as is intended here. Anybody that read the original post knew exactly what the situation was. Posting under an original post should not need "additional clarification", it stands as an answer to a previously stated question.

If you feel further need to cut apart someone's response, taking it completely out of context, and further criticize legitimate answers to posted problems, I know of some other boards you could frequent instead. You may fit in well there!
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe you should stop bugger picking with responses and try to answer the original post as is intended here. Anybody that read the original post knew exactly what the situation was. Posting under an original post should not need "additional clarification", it stands as an answer to a previously stated question.

If you feel further need to cut apart someone's response, taking it completely out of context, and further criticize legitimate answers to posted problems, I know of some other boards you could frequent instead. You may fit in well there!
Thanks for stopping by and staightening me out. Of course, I'm wrong, you're right. I will keep your partners on my prayers.

C.U.L.