LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rodney King Lives

I saw this gem and couldn't resist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLU Daydreamer
Thank You for Your Support

The Association of Minor League Umpires would like to extend our deepest appreciation to all of you that have shown support for our cause.

Our gratitude goes out to all of the umpires that have made the ultimate show of support by saying, "No" to working strike related games. As everyone who has ever umpired knows, we do not have an abundance of friends in the game of baseball. People who are mutually disliked are left with no choice but to unite, and support one another.

As we face confrontation once again we are forced to defend umpiring as a career. Professional and amateur umpires have never been more united. The show of support from ALL umpires at ALL levels is just one more enormous step in the right direction.

Our combined efforts have brought us one step closer and we will together strengthen the profession we all love so much. You all have a friend in the AMLU.
The second sentence in the next to last paragraph seems especially preposterous. But the rest of the spin was even more hysterical. I don't know about you, but the threats at the picket line, the 'scab' photo page, disparaging remarks by AMLU members to the press and promises of retaliation and blackballing are still fresh in many minds. I suppose those will just be dismissed as the politcs of negotiation. Sure they will...

I know of several organizations who have already told the pros that they aren't welcome to teach at their next umpire clinics. Apparently those amateur 'rabbit ears' must have picked up on the way the AMLU umpires painted amateur umpiring. Friends indeed...
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I worked with a very nice guy and excellent umpire this weekend, who I have worked many games with in the past. I had not seen him in awhile and did not have any HS games with him this season. He was asked to work minor league games and dropped his HS schedule to do so. His college assignor essentially abandoned him. He says what the f*ck, I'm 60 years old and will never get this chance again. He is essentially retired and takes games all over, at many levels.

Damn good 60 year old umpire is all I can say. He is working his last few games with the minor league guys coming back because of some scheduling issue and is curious how he will be received. Me too.

He told me he would never cross a picket line, but at none of the games he worked was there a picket line, or even a minor league umpire standing around outside.

What this has to do with Rodney King, I don't know.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
What this has to do with Rodney King, I don't know.
I believe the phrase "can't we all just get along" comes to mind when reading the "cumbayah" message of the AMLU representative.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I saw this gem and couldn't resist:
I know of several organizations who have already told the pros that they aren't welcome to teach at their next umpire clinics.
And to continue on your theme...I know of several minor league guys who have told organizations that they would in no way teach at their clinics again. So, its a two-way street.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Surprise...surprise

A new day dawns and I see that they still left the trash at my curb. (snicker, chuckle, guffaw)

This is no more a theme than any other discussion on this board. The last thread pertaining to the strike was locked. Must we remain silent and obedient to the masters of the Minors? (Yes, it would have been easy to throw a baiting joke in there, but I like to have a couple cups of coffee prior to blue humor. Get it? Blue humor...)

I simply illuminated another lie foisted on the public by the AMLU. The amateur ranks are vast and varied. Some have no interest in what recently transpired and others were impacted directly. They keep generalizing and it keeps backfiring. The AMLU as a group has lost respect from amateurs and the Minor League system. They were wrong to think they couldn't be replaced and they will be kidding themselves if they think that their return will be a lovefest. (Can't you just hear the first Skipper..."Hey, Blue...I thought you guys were supposed to be better than what we had. Go back on strike.")

I'm glad to hear that you know a couple AMLU guys that won't offer their services, it's not surprising to see that they just don't get it. It's akin to my saying that I wouldn't have sex with Salma Hayek...like she'd have me! It's time for a reality check, lawump. Those bridges were burned and all for what???
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Please note the number of posts by WWTB. Please also note the date today. I know some on this forum believe tghat WWTB is the devil, I think this proves it!
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
And if you ask a scab why they did it, they say...

"The Devil Made me do it ! Woooooo" Flip Wilson

Nick
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

No The Devil Didn't Make Me Do It........

I Did It Because I Wanted To.....

A Great Big Thank You Goes Out To The Amlu.........woooooo

Do Me A Favor.......strike Again Real Soon......

It Was Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

The theme I was referring to, that I believe is present in this thread, is that the relations between amateurs and AMLU members are NOT good at this time...regardless of what AMLU or anyone else says. In support of this, I simply posted that AMLU members have turned down or stated that they would not be teaching clinics with certain (amateur) organizations.

Nothing more, nothing less. (Yes, Virginia, I can disagree with a group (AMLU) I support.) And contrary to others, I don't so hate and/or despise any poster on this board that I can't bring myself to agree with them when call for.

Thus, WWTB: I agree with your suggestion that relations between AMLU and amateurs are not good at this point.

I was just implying that for many AMLU members the feelings of dislike is/are mutual...as opposed to the feelings expressed in the AMLU's press release.

Last edited by lawump; Tue Jun 06, 2006 at 02:54pm.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I Want To Send An Extra Big Shout Out To All My Southern Cali

Brothers That Made This Possible......wooooooo
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
Please note the number of posts by WWTB. Please also note the date today. I know some on this forum believe tghat WWTB is the devil, I think this proves it!
He can't be, I am. Today is my 50th birthday!
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Did you check your scalp for the sign?

I'm amazed that someone has the time to count another's posts? Then again, counting to six is a challenge for some.

For the record, I had six cups of coffee today, ate dinner at six and just found six more grey hairs on my scalp!

BTW, Happy 50th...they don't get easier.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone note the date of today, 6/6/06?
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty certain that SDS and I both alluded to it.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:37am

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!!!