The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 09:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

As I've stated before, I supervise the officials in our local rec league. We have about 1400 boys and girls in grades 3-12 who play in our program. I have 40 refs, 12 of which are HS students. Seven of those also play in the program (which makes a scheduling nightmare, but that's another story). Usually we assign our first and second year officials to the lowest grades.

This afternoon, I was working a boys varsity game in our program. Two of my refs were playing in the game. I made a foul call on one of them who is in his fourth year as an official, and who usually gets assigned to 7th and 8th grade games. Here was the conversation:

ME: Green, 12, two shots.
HIM: What! I got all ball.
ME: No, you got him right across the arm, plus you hit him down below pretty hard with your body.
HIM: You've gotta be kidding.
ME: You know, I've got a bunch of 3rd grade girls games I need to fill the rest of the month. I was thinking of assigning them all to you.
HIM: (after a pause) On second thought, great call Mark.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Oooooo, dirty pool.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Two of MY refs were playing in the game. I made a foul call on one of them who is in his fourth year as an official, and who usually gets assigned to 7th and 8th grade games. Here was the conversation:

ME: Green, 12, two shots.
HIM: What! I got all ball.
ME: No, you got him right across the arm, plus you hit him down below pretty hard with your body.
HIM: You've gotta be kidding.
ME: You know, I've got a bunch of 3rd grade girls games I need to fill the rest of the month. I was thinking of assigning them all to you.
HIM: (after a pause) On second thought, great call Mark.
Was this conversation light-hearted from the start, or was he serious at first and then saw the logic of your reasoning? What I am getting at is this kind of familiarity leads to the wrong impression for observers.
"That's one of HIS boys. You know he's not gonna call anything against him." Do you have this problem? In our league (not nearly as big as yours, so everybody knows everybody) I am director of officials, head of the rules committee and also a coach. Certainly this can be perceived as a conflict of interest at times. One coach told me, smiling, sorta, "You intimidate the other officials and get all the calls." I told her, smiling, "And don't you forget it." Do you hear cries of collusion and if so how do you deal with it?

Always looking for a better way.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

I never have any problems like that in my league. I've been on the Board for 14 years, much longer than anyone. At the levels I work, virtually every coach knows me and knows I never show favoritism. I know many of the kids personally because their parents are friends of mine, plus I've seen them grow up over the years in the program. This is one league where the officials joke with the players, coaches and parents all the time.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Was this conversation light-hearted from the start, or was he serious at first and then saw the logic of your reasoning? What I am getting at is this kind of familiarity leads to the wrong impression for observers.
"That's one of HIS boys. You know he's not gonna call anything against him."
J.A.R.--

Please note that Padgett WAS calling it against one of his boys. That's the point of the post!

Also, just for information, Padgett never hesitates to call anything against anyone, if he thinks it's necessary. He has no discrimination at all!
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 04:19am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

J.A.R.--

Please note that Padgett WAS calling it against one of his boys. That's the point of the post!

Also, just for information, Padgett never hesitates to call anything against anyone, if he thinks it's necessary. He has no discrimination at all!

I realize that and let me say that in no way was I questioning Mr. Padgett's integrity. This particular call aside, (which for their own convenience, the people I am talking about wouldn't remember anyway) some people will complain when they see any call that they perceive to be in the young man's favor. Don't misunderstand, we joke and socialize and get along well in our league most of the time.
BUT, some people just react in ugly ways to some things, like losing for example. Over the years I have been accused of calling unfairly for a lot of reasons:

1. He calls everything for (where my son goes to school).
2. He overcompensates and calls against (where my son goes to school).
3. He calls against us because of race.
4. He calls for that other team just because their coach complains so loudly.
5. He calls against our team just because our coach complains so loudly.
6. etc.

No doubt all these complaints are there when you are in a gym full of strangers, too, but you are less likely to hear about them. To those who bring their complaints to me for discussion, I tell them that my ability is open for debate, but my integrity is not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
I realize that and let me say that in no way was I questioning Mr. Padgett's integrity. This particular call aside, (which for their own convenience, the people I am talking about wouldn't remember anyway) some people will complain when they see any call that they perceive to be in the young man's favor. Don't misunderstand, we joke and socialize and get along well in our league most of the time.
Okay, I see, irony, humor. I'm afraid I gave that part of my brain a rest on Sat'dy. Sorry to be obtuse!