The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Another Bunt Question

Another question from another board. I've been trying to explain to these good folks the difference in squaring around to bunt versus offering at the ball. This question arose from those discussions.

"Defense expects a bunt.....they pitch out. Batter, with both feet in his batters box, extends the bat as far as he can. If the ball is still in front of the plate and the catcher reaches in front of the bat to make the catch is a balk called on the catcher? If catcher and bat make contact is catchers interference called? (again the catcher reaches in front of the bat)Defense expects a bunt.....they pitch out. Batter, with both feet in his batters box, extends the bat as far as he can. If the ball is still in front of the plate and the catcher reaches in front of the bat to make the catch is a balk called on the catcher? If catcher and bat make contact is catchers interference called? (again the catcher reaches in front of the bat)"

I'm familiar with catcher's interference. I did not know whether catching the ball is this manner would be illegal by the catcher or not.

Thanks!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Easy - if F2 may not interfere in any way. Don't worry about the situation, as the rule always applies.

The legacy 'catchers balk' rule deals with an F2 who leaves his box prior to the pitch. I don't recall ever seeing it called, at least correctly.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 07:14pm

And even the so-called "catcher's balk" is still charged against the pitcher, as catchers can't really balk.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

The balk only applies when R3 is stealing home or a squeeze play. It is rule 7.07 in the OBR. The pitcher is charged a balk so that all runners advance one base. Then the catcher is charged with interfernce so that the batter is awared first.

Clint Lawson
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

7.07 is, of course, unnecessary: according to the rule that penalizes catcher's interference, runners stealing on the pitch are awarded their advance base when catcher's interference is called, and R3 moving on the pitch is explicitly awarded home. 6.08(c), play 2:
Quote:
...In situations where the manager wants the "interference" penalty to apply, the following interpretation shall be made of 6.08 (c): If the catcher (or any fielder) interferes with the batter, the batter is awarded first base. If, on such interference a runner is trying to score by a steal or squeeze from third base, the ball is dead and the runner on third scores and batter is awarded first base. If the catcher interferes with the batter with no runners trying to score from third on a squeeze or steal, then the ball is dead, batter is awarded first base and runners who are forced to advance, do advance. Runners not attempting to steal or not forced to advance remain on the base they occupied at the time of the interference....
Calling a balk on the pitcher is overkill, and I was taught that it is not enforced in pro ball.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mbyron]7.07 is, of course, unnecessary: according to the rule that penalizes catcher's interference, runners stealing on the pitch are awarded their advance base when catcher's interference is called, and R3 moving on the pitch is explicitly awarded home. 6.08(c), play 2:

Calling a balk on the pitcher is overkill, and I was taught that it is not enforced in pro ball.

WE teach it at pro school like that beacause if there are other runners that may not be stealing that would advance also on the balk charged to the pitch. The balk is mostly for scoring.

Last edited by Clint Lawson; Wed May 31, 2006 at 11:23am.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction, not interference, on the catcher.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
Obstruction, not interference, on the catcher.
Depends on the rules code. In FED it's called "obstruciton." In OBR and NCAA it's called "interference."
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PWL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson

I believe catcher's interference should be called in the situation here. This year I had a catcher that was not setting up properly in his box. I did warn him a couple of times he was too far out. He set up so far outside the one time that both his feet were in the left hand batters box. As the pitcher started to deliver his pitch, I called balk, pointed at the pitcher, and moved each runner up a base.

I am just telling you how Jim and Harry teach it. The so called catcher balk is just for scoring in the rule 7.07. But you can inforce it any way you would like. I was inforce incorrectly in the big league a couple of years ago but they fixed that pretty quick.

Clint Lawson