View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Another Bunt Question

Another question from another board. I've been trying to explain to these good folks the difference in squaring around to bunt versus offering at the ball. This question arose from those discussions.

"Defense expects a bunt.....they pitch out. Batter, with both feet in his batters box, extends the bat as far as he can. If the ball is still in front of the plate and the catcher reaches in front of the bat to make the catch is a balk called on the catcher? If catcher and bat make contact is catchers interference called? (again the catcher reaches in front of the bat)Defense expects a bunt.....they pitch out. Batter, with both feet in his batters box, extends the bat as far as he can. If the ball is still in front of the plate and the catcher reaches in front of the bat to make the catch is a balk called on the catcher? If catcher and bat make contact is catchers interference called? (again the catcher reaches in front of the bat)"

I'm familiar with catcher's interference. I did not know whether catching the ball is this manner would be illegal by the catcher or not.

Thanks!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith