The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

home run ground rule

fly ball hits the top of an outfield fence - the portion that is painted yellow. the ball then bounces back into the outfield. some fields i have worked have considered this a home run during ground rules, some have not and they state that this ball would be in play and have to clear the fence completely for a home run.

why would the yellow line be considered a home run? would be a tough call wouldn't it? thoughts?
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
fly ball hits the top of an outfield fence - the portion that is painted yellow. the ball then bounces back into the outfield. some fields i have worked have considered this a home run during ground rules, some have not and they state that this ball would be in play and have to clear the fence completely for a home run.

why would the yellow line be considered a home run? would be a tough call wouldn't it? thoughts?
A ground rule that permitted a home run for a ball striking the yellow and bouncing back would be an illegal ground rule and shall not be permitted. If a ball in flight leaves the field over fair territory, or strikes a foul pole, it is a home run, if not it is whatever it ends up being (double, triple, etc.).
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
A ground rule that permitted a home run for a ball striking the yellow and bouncing back would be an illegal ground rule and shall not be permitted. If a ball in flight leaves the field over fair territory, or strikes a foul pole, it is a home run, if not it is whatever it ends up being (double, triple, etc.).
I have worked a number of fields in residential areas that have fences in excess of 20 feet tall for safety reasons. Most of these have a "yellow" line around the 12' level and have league approved ground rules that declare any batted ball that hits the line or above, a homerun.

Some umpires may wish to argue with league approved ground rules. I pick my battles more carefully.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Unless that ball has yellow paint on it, "Coach that ball hit just above the line." would be my answer. If it has yellow paint on it, your dilema is already fixed.

I've got pretty good eyes, but seeing an eight inch ball hit a four inch yellow line two hundred feet away is one that always goes in favor of the umpire.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 11:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
In SBC Park in San Francisco, the yellow line represents a home run if hit by a batted ball. Very legal ground rule.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon May 29, 2006 at 11:26am.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking of an actual top of the fence, that is painted yellow, to provide contrast so it is easier to determine when a ball actually goes over it, not a line drawn on a wall. Some fences, also have yellow tubing installed on top of the chain link to protect players who jump up to catch fly balls near the fence.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I was thinking of an actual top of the fence, that is painted yellow, to provide contrast so it is easier to determine when a ball actually goes over it, not a line drawn on a wall. Some fences, also have yellow tubing installed on top of the chain link to protect players who jump up to catch fly balls near the fence.
I was of the same opinion as DG. If it hits this type of fence, its a home run if it bounces over or "Play On, McDuff", if it bounces into the field of play.

Doug
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

What many places have decided is that the yellow line is Yellow to match the foul pole, and consider that when the ball hits it is is like when it hits the foul pole and therefore a homerun. In my area I have half the diamonds with Yellow and half with Black top lines and only like one place where the yellow is considered a homerun. It is annoying.