View Single Post
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
I don't, unless it's low and questionable and then I verbalize.

Interesting dropped third happened to me last week.
Varsity game
2 out bases empty 2-2 count.
F2 set up to outside, pitch comes in down the middle knee high tailing to inside. strike 3. Ball goes off F2s glove, (don't ask me why, he was a good catcher) hits my shin gaurd.
As the ball crosses the plate I know it's a strike, as the ball carems off the catchers mitt I'm thinking punch out, but now it's dropped and I have to get out of the way. As I'm dancing out of the way of the catcher I verbalize plenty loud for catcher and batter to hear "STRIKE" but I don't give strike mechanic. Batter plays statue for about 2 seconds, F2 is hustling to retrieve ball. BR then breaks for 1st and is promptly thrown out.
Off. coach comes to me and says I screwed up and did not indicate strike. I say I verbalized loud enough for batter and catcher to hear. He says yea but I didn't hear. I say you don't need to. and he says sure i do, I have to know so I can tell my batter to run.
What a perfect set-up he gave me. But I maintained control and to keep from letting him see me laugh I just turned and walked away.
There may be some around here who believe: The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the knee cap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball. (OBR) With that in mind, any pitch that crosses that area at any time should be called a strike.

I have a hard time calling a strike (especially strike three) on a pitch that hits me in the shin guards and the catcher has to run to the backstop to get. That pitch should be called to reflect what it looks like.