The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

I must have missed a memo that put you in charge. I never said I was always right; it just so happens that I am correct very often. I make mistakes and I have been known to offer contrition. However, with most of this affair I have been dead on. Some of those that argued with me in October have come to understand that I know far more about what was happening than others suggested. I was lucky enough to have been asked to work at that level. Yes, I consider it fortunate to have worked for the miniscule pay check that accompanied the job. My opinions are borne of experience. I am certainly entitled to answer any point brought forth on this board. If you want to disagree with it, hone up your communication skills and debate it logically. Umpires should be used to heated arguments and others wanting to be correct.

You are incorrect to assume that I am twisting your words, but yes, I am using them against you. You have stated that the umpires did not know what they were getting into when they agreed to accept their assignments. That is rubbish...everyone at pro school knows the story and hears about the rotten life the contract brings. But to put it in terms you might understand, if a teacher takes a job at a school for $22,000 a year, he/she has little room to complain about the hours, conditions and salary that accompany an entry level position. He/she is valuable to the process and probably deserves more money, but he/she signed on the dotted line. If the local union decides to go on strike to seek raises, he/she can partake or move along. If the school board comes back and offers a pittance, he/she may feel abused but that is the system. She signed on for the job and that was the pay that was offered. She may not have been aware that salaries have not been increasing or that the system would treat her so poorly, but the Lord gave her free will. She can accept the conditions and do the job or she can try something else.

No one is holding a gun to the MiLB umpire's heads. They may dream of treading the parks of the Show, but the price to pay is steep. Musicians, artists and many tradesmen dream of glory but work for peanuts while paying their dues. Our country is in the midst of social upheaval over an immigration bill. These people come to our land and take menial jobs for peanuts. They accept their lot in life and work hard for something better. Why is it so hard for some to comprehend that there are no guarantees in life? I understand that the AMLU guys are only seeking a better living wage, but the boss has consistently said "No". They threats have fallen on deaf ears and they have been replaced easier than they ever dreamed would happen. While some grumbling is going on about consistency within the replacement ranks, the same is happening in the Majors. Was Bob Davidson an example of AAA consistency that some keep harping about?

I may not be correct on every issue, but I am certainly going to speak my mind when I have been intimately involved with the issue. For quite some time I have been the Devil's advocate regarding this matter. I was vilified for saying that the MiLB guys could be replaced. Others took umbrage at my insistence that the union would crack before MiLB/PBUC did. Still others ranted that I knew little about the offers on the table and that the strike would be over - "soon, very soon". So far, I have a pretty good record regarding this ordeal. You may not like what you read, but the passion is not misplaced. All along I wished that the strike would not happen, that the boys would wise up and not abandon their dreams. I did not accept assignments and chose to highlight the shameful actions of the Birmingham brass. My mind was made up when the March offer was refuted. My feelings have been justified by the Scab photos and articles. In a perfect world the members would rise up and form a new coalition. They would accept their plight and a small salary increase. These men would work hard to prove their merit and mend some fences. In the end, we would all be able to have a beer and realize our lot in life...thankless, humorless umpires.

I got my butt handed to me in the market yesterday, so you'll excuse my anger and condescension. We are all in this together, but only some of us are behaving. My words are just that...words. I have crossed no picket lines or posted incriminating photos. WHile you may not agree with my thoughts, my message has been steadfast and fairly honorable. I take issue with the brass and those who denegrate the good name of amateur umpiring. It wasn't long ago that those men were in the same boat as some of the replacements. I wonder if they would have been able to temper their passions and not accept assignments prior to their making it.

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Wed May 24, 2006 at 06:23pm.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Folks,

I promised an update as soon as I have facts from the individuals named in this post. I have spoken to two of the five so far and as soon as the ohters respond OR Wed night I will post.

As far as the AAA guys working MLB fill-in: This was a union choice mad just before the WBC. It's now far too late to back out, as there is a valid agreement in place with MLB.

At least one poster has made what I fell is an accurate observation - had AMLU not approved the AAA umpires doing WBC, spring training or regular season this strike would have been settled long ago. This is my opinion & the AMLU may see things differently.
What "facts" are you rererring to?
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
What "facts" are you rererring to?
Who/where/why
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Who/where/why
Didn't I already tell you who and where? You say that you will find out the facts, does that mean that you don't believe mine?
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
...If you are as talented as you say you are, then you did a disservice to every ball player, skipper and fan that may have enjoyed watching you work...
I never made any references as to "how talented" I am. I go by my real name and I am no better than any other Div. I Conference umpire. The only reason I work the Northern and Frontier Leagues is because it is the best ball I can work during the summer time. The are many college umpires that have the skills to work those leagues - unfortuneatly, there just isn't enough spots.

As for the players, managers and fans, I never really cared for them and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
Sal puts his name on his posts and I respect his opinion... In the end, Sal knows that I am trying to educate both professional umpires and amateur umpires through my own personal experience.

BA

BA,
I respect your opinions as well and appreciate the experiences you share with us. You have a very unique perspective (having both professional and amatuer points of view) and I think we can all benefit from your knowledge.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Good Lord, if he stops suddenly, you'd break your nose.

I could have sworn you recently said that moi should use his real name if he expected credibility from you. I'd happily put my resume up against anyone on this board, but this has never been about me. For four years I have repeatedly expressed my opinion based on my experience. I am not trying to sell a book, solicit assignments or look for kudos. Correcting disinformation or assisting a newbie were my goals. Long ago, I even tossed a few words of praise your way.

You and I feel passionately about the MiLB situation. Only one of us has maintained his position throughout. I have never thought that the AMLU gang was in it for anything other than themselves. I cautioned others about accepting assignments but also said that I understood why some would take them. I lauded those that crossed the line as knowing their places in the game. Further, when it came to the AMLU statements of exclusion, I told this board not to believe that they wouldn't swoop down and grab their games when the heat was put to their feet. You however, feel a pang of regret for falling for their lies. You didn't come to my side when I pointed out the hypocrisy of a news article regarding a couple AMLU guys working High School ball while on strike. I don't recall you chiming in when I spoke with contempt for the publishing of amateur's names and photos about 'Scabs'. The one who was true to his heart isn't hiding behind a nom de net, despite your misrepresentation. I know that my opinions may not be universally accepted - I am an umpire after all. However, your recent accusations and revelations lead me to believe that you had blinders on. Most skippers only ask for consistency from the crew - I expect that I just showed you why mine hasn't been questioned in a long time. Can you honestly say the same? However, I will retract all of this if Benedict Arnold's parents actually gave him that unique birth name. I mean, we can only give creedence to those using his legal name, right?
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
I never made any references as to "how talented" I am. I go by my real name and I am no better than any other Div. I Conference umpire. The only reason I work the Northern and Frontier Leagues is because it is the best ball I can work during the summer time. The are many college umpires that have the skills to work those leagues - unfortuneatly, there just isn't enough spots.

As for the players, managers and fans, I never really cared for them and I don't plan on starting anytime soon.
For the record, that was supposed to be a compliment. You have mentioned the leagues and conferences (even in this very post) you worked with some amount of pride. I took those comments to mean that you were aware of your abilities. Lest you forget, you also wrote that you 'could umpire circles around me'. Considering that I have many years of D1 and Minor League ball under my belt, most would read that as braggadocio. Are you certain that you 'never made any references to how talented' you are? Lah me!

The fact that many college umpires are good enough to work those leagues but you get the games mean that you are either better than some, your assignor doesn't care or you're blackmailing/blowing someone. I would think you'd be happier if we assumed the first thought.

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Wed May 24, 2006 at 06:29pm.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
Didn't I already tell you who and where? You say that you will find out the facts, does that mean that you don't believe mine?
All things considered, no. I have no way of knowing how you came about the information nor do I have any clue as to your actual identiification (Not that it matters).

'Facts', as opposed to opinion, from an anonymous Internet message board must be verified before acceptance - that's just common sense. I would expect that you would do the same and would not be offended in the least.

Last edited by socalblue1; Thu May 25, 2006 at 01:46am.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Jim, you know how easy it is to contact anyone in the AMLU. Stop pretending that it is difficult to research the directory or send an email. You sound like you are asking a third party rather than just picking up the phone and confronting them. Their names will be a matter of record once the box scores are released.

Just in case, here's a guide:

SCB: Hi, ____________, how have you been?
Plum Picker: Okay, those f-ing scabs are ruining our plans.
SCB: Yeah, so much for brethren in blue, eh?
Plum Picker: Yeah, I thought that PBUC would be begging us back by now.
SCB: So...what are you doing? Working any games to keep the rust off?
Plum Picker: Hell yeah! I called the local assignor and he told me that he had plenty of games. I told him that I wouldn't work any underlevel crap though.
SCB: Well no sh#t, you are a professional for godsakes.
Plum Picker: So he gives me a couple late season things that way when I get the playoff assignments the peons won't be all upset.
SCB: I know what you mean.
Plum Picker: So, I've got a couple JUCO and HS playoffs now and the Legion tourney is going to be sweet money. I'll make more doing those games than I do in the Cal League.
SCB: Yeah, that money is good.
Plum Picker: The best part is that I can wear my dazzle cloth shirt with my Cal League hat and everyone will know I'm a pro.
SCB: Sweet!
Plum Picker: Now those scabs can watch me take their best games away from them. Let's see how they like it.
SCB: They probably won't be happy.
Plum Picker: Who cares? I went to pro school and earned the right to say no to Minor League games. If they want the chance to be considered equal they can say "No" too.
SCB: Well said.
Plum Picker: Hey, it was good to hear from you, but Springer is on and it's really good. I love watching people tear others apart in public. Take it easy dude. Let me know if you want any of these games.
SCB: Sure thing...bye.
(sound of phone hanging up and the line going dead)
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

These are great games and I'm having a great time.

I've ben reading all of these posts for a long time and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Around here there is a bunch of leagues and games to be had by those who scab. I am a scab and don't care what others think. When the strike was looming I received a couple calls to work. I went to Evans Academy a few years ago to get better but wasn't hired. I came back and teach here and umpire when I want. The games I have been taking are really the best baseball I've ever seen. My partners have been on top of almost everything and I've only heard good things from the players and coachs. I don't understand why so many are fighting over whether I'm worthy of working or not. Clearly I am and have been having fun doing it. I have been asked if I'm available for the remainder of the season and for any fall and winter ball that might come my way. I have already said that I am and know that the guys around here are ready too. When I first got out there I was nervous and made some adjustments. I know I've made mistakes but I've never met an umpire who was perfect. This has been the best month of my life and I'm making extra summer money instead of teaching an extra class. I'm not doing this because I hate the regulars or want them to lose a job. This is a chance for me to do something I've always wanted and have a lot of fun too. I know I will not make it to the big leagues and may never even be asked to be a full time substitute. That's okay, this is a great job and I only wish I would have been able to work more often. Some of you will hate me for doing these games. My friends say that they admire my courage. I am only doing it because I know I can. I hope you understand, no hard feelings from my side.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete in AZ
I've ben reading all of these posts for a long time and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Around here there is a bunch of leagues and games to be had by those who scab. I am a scab and don't care what others think. When the strike was looming I received a couple calls to work. I went to Evans Academy a few years ago to get better but wasn't hired. I came back and teach here and umpire when I want. The games I have been taking are really the best baseball I've ever seen. My partners have been on top of almost everything and I've only heard good things from the players and coachs. I don't understand why so many are fighting over whether I'm worthy of working or not. Clearly I am and have been having fun doing it. I have been asked if I'm available for the remainder of the season and for any fall and winter ball that might come my way. I have already said that I am and know that the guys around here are ready too. When I first got out there I was nervous and made some adjustments. I know I've made mistakes but I've never met an umpire who was perfect. This has been the best month of my life and I'm making extra summer money instead of teaching an extra class. I'm not doing this because I hate the regulars or want them to lose a job. This is a chance for me to do something I've always wanted and have a lot of fun too. I know I will not make it to the big leagues and may never even be asked to be a full time substitute. That's okay, this is a great job and I only wish I would have been able to work more often. Some of you will hate me for doing these games. My friends say that they admire my courage. I am only doing it because I know I can. I hope you understand, no hard feelings from my side.
Good post!
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

The unitary AMLU

I am disappointed, to say the least, at AMLU members who (a) take college assignments at all and (b) take college post-season work, if any of that is happening, from umpires who busted a$$ to get those assignments. I have been on the receiving end of that situation before- getting denied a high school state tourney because some college umpire who has two high school games all season decided to go slumming. It sucks.

On the other hand, it is a mistake to assume that AMLU/Andy/The Board speak for all 200+ umpires all the time, especially the AAA umpires who have the most to lose. There are certainly divergent views out there on the strike in general and the details. It follows naturally that AMLU can't control what each of the 200+ does or if they take games in other leagues, no matter how hard AMLU wishes for that control.

That being said, the goals of the strike- a decent, living wage and per diem- are right. And MiLB/PBUC did not negotiate all winter long, apparently in the belief that AMLU umps would jump, chicken-on-a-junebug fashion, on the first ridiculous offer that came their way. So while there are those on this board who believe that AMLU is wrong, their leadership is wrong and thier goals are wrong, I still support them. And for their arrogant, take-it-or-leave-it negotiating tactics, PBUC shares equal blame for the strike, period.

By the way- my name is Steve Zega. I live in Fayetteville Arkansas, and I don't feel the need to "hide" behind a screen name.

Strikes and outs!
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

You need to blame the assignors, not the umpires that accept those positions. There is nothing that says anyone cannot accept an assignment they are offered. If that was the case then every "scab" would not accept those assignments either. If an assignor does not want to hire an umpire that hardly works games during the regular season at a certain level, then they should not hire them at all. Also if someone worked all regular season and they were highly recommended, they deserve those assignments regardless of who they are.

Peace
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You need to blame the assignors, not the umpires that accept those positions. There is nothing that says anyone cannot accept an assignment they are offered. If that was the case then every "scab" would not accept those assignments either. If an assignor does not want to hire an umpire that hardly works games during the regular season at a certain level, then they should not hire them at all. Also if someone worked all regular season and they were highly recommended, they deserve those assignments regardless of who they are.

Peace
J
I think you've said the same thing 5 different times, but you continue to miss the point.
1. AMLU said and I paraphrase We won't work amateur games
2. But wait, they are working amateur games and taking the plums to boot.
3. They lied
4. No need to blame anyone but the union and it's members.

If the union cannot control it's membership then they should not speak for the membership.
If the members won't listen to the union then why should the amatuer?

To use your logic, no blame or ill will should be given to the replacement, blame the assignor, MiLB
Is that how you feel?
Closed Thread