The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, thanks for the input on this subject.

This was modified OBR. I've got a clearer thought pattern on this now. If the runner had made any attempt after the slide to touch home, I would have obstruction. No movement, no obstruction. The catcher losses protection as a fielder after he dropped the ball. Does this about sum it up?

Steve

In Sunny CA
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Blue
Gentlemen, thanks for the input on this subject.

This was modified OBR. I've got a clearer thought pattern on this now. If the runner had made any attempt after the slide to touch home, I would have obstruction. No movement, no obstruction. The catcher losses protection as a fielder after he dropped the ball. Does this about sum it up?

Steve

In Sunny CA
Since this is modified OBR and not Little League, after the failed attempt to field the thrown ball, ask yourself where is the ball, if it's within reach of the fielder you've got nothing. If the ball is out of reach, then call the obstruction. If another player picks up the ball and tags the runner, you've got obstruction. I hope this helps.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I compare to the following play. Third strike not caught, ball pops out in front of the plate where it is kicked unintentionally by the batter trying to advance. Ball is live. Catcher made the mistake by not catching the ball so don't penalize the offense.

Now we have this play. Catcher sets up to block the plate and the ball comes in and pops out in front of the plate. Runner is blocked but catcher no longer is in the process of receiving the ball, he is in fact reaching for his mistake. I am not going to bail out the catcher for not catching the ball on his initial attempt. If he is still blocking the plate, without the ball, and is not receiving the ball he is obstructing.