The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 25, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I had a close play at home not long ago where I did not get a good view of the tag, if there was one. I was first base line extended behind the catcher who basically blocked my view of the tag. I noticed that MLB umpires go third base line extended, I presume to get a better angle. Any of you use 3B line extended in a two-man crew?
Old Fri Jul 25, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I've only used 3rd base extended when forced there by catcher movement or positioning. You can get a better look at a swipe tag, but you usually don't see many of swipe tags in the 15-yr old and below range. When using 3B ext., you can be blocked from a tag on a runner sliding straight in from 3rd, which is much more common. 1B extended feels much more comfortable for me. Just my opinion.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I had a close play at home not long ago where I did not get a good view of the tag, if there was one. I was first base line extended behind the catcher who basically blocked my view of the tag. I noticed that MLB umpires go third base line extended, I presume to get a better angle. Any of you use 3B line extended in a two-man crew?
Jay;

Using the first base line extended is a good idea for new umpires. When you want to take your game up another notch, try the following:

Start about 8-10 feet off of the point of the plate; in other words a step back from where you normally call balls and strikes. If the throw to the catcher pulls him up the third base line, move to the third base line extended to watch for the tag.

If the throw to the catcher is dead on and he remains at the plate to block it, move to the first base line extended and watch for the slide, hard contact, and tag.

This set of mechanics takes lots of practice. You will have to do it several times before it becomes natural. The reason that you see the MLB umps move to the third base line extended is because most throws from the outfield are a little inaccurate. Inaccurate throws will produce swipe tags and for swipe tags, you want to be on the third base line extended. The MLB umps will move to the first base line extended if the situation requires it.

Peter
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up BINGO!!

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Jay;

Using the first base line extended is a good idea for new umpires. When you want to take your game up another notch, try the following:

Start about 8-10 feet off of the point of the plate; in other words a step back from where you normally call balls and strikes. If the throw to the catcher pulls him up the third base line, move to the third base line extended to watch for the tag.

If the throw to the catcher is dead on and he remains at the plate to block it, move to the first base line extended and watch for the slide, hard contact, and tag.

This set of mechanics takes lots of practice. You will have to do it several times before it becomes natural. The reason that you see the MLB umps move to the third base line extended is because most throws from the outfield are a little inaccurate. Inaccurate throws will produce swipe tags and for swipe tags, you want to be on the third base line extended. The MLB umps will move to the first base line extended if the situation requires it.

Peter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Peter, not that hard of a mechanic though. I like FBL cuz you can see the field better(JMHO). If ya got a swipe, move and get best angle you can....not your fault player can't throw BB's.LOL....
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

ive always done 1st base extended but ive only done LL for the past 7 years. now that i'm doing 14,15, and 16 travel teams they are better and more likely to swipe if the throw is off line or the runner slides/dives around the tag. i'll have to try that position where you start behind the plate and move from there, sounds like a much better place than only 1st base extended.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
I think Peter gives some sound advice on adjusting positioning depending upon the scenario. Bases loaded and a hit to the infield in is probably going to be a blocked plate thing and the 1B line extended might be better. I generally like to use the 3B line extended because 3 out of 5 plays at the plate are swipe tags and this gives a better look at whether the catcher contacts the runner with his glove. One problem we can all have at times is the mistake of getting TOO CLOSE to the call and having the play explode on us. Don't give up angle for closeness. Some MLB guys seem to make some of these calls on the move but I would caution against this for most umpires and that probably includes me as well.Jim/NYC