The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
How does the FED obstruction penalty influence how you call obstruction?

In my opinion, the OBR method of allowing us to make a "judgment" call on whether to award bases, and the number of bases to award is much more fair then the FED penalty.

For example, during a JV game, BR collided with F3 who was standing on top of first base, and in his own words, "just minding my own business". I instinctively called "that's obstruction". After the play I awarded BR second base. If the game was played under OBR, he would have stayed at 1b.

My opinion is that we should call obstruction every time a fielder is in the way of a runner. The defense needs to learn to pay attention and stay out of the runner's way. If we don't call obstruction when we see it, the defense gains a great advantage.

I don't agree with the FED's penalty for obstruction.

Bob P.
Fed allows us to make a judgement as to where the runners would have made it had their been no obstruction and award accordingly, minimum of one base.
What part don't you like?
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
Fed allows us to make a judgement as to where the runners would have made it had their been no obstruction and award accordingly, minimum of one base.
What part don't you like?
NIump50,

If I'm reading him right, Bob P.'s objection is that the FED rule mandates a one base minimum award, even if the obstructed runner would NOT have obtained an advance base absent the obstruction.

JM
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

FED Rules

Once upon a time I read an article in Referee magazine breaking down the Fed/OBR rules differences based, essentially, on four factors: (1) economics (metal bats); (2) safety (force play slide rule- although I think there is reasonable disagreement on whether that works); (3) time (run rule- 7 innings); and (4) participation (re-entry rule). I am not convinced that the Fed obstruction rule works to further any of those goals. If there is unintentional but also non-malicious obstruction, the award should mirror the OBR rule- award according to the umpire's judgment. If the obstruction is malicious, ejection (also an available remedy in OBR) is plenty of added punishment.

There are other Fed rules I would rewrite if I were in charge. Unfortunately, nobody has asked me yet.

My .02.

Strikes and outs!
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

So, is it a mandatory one base award or judgement?
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 09:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie
So, is it a mandatory one base award or judgement?
If you call obstruction it is a one base award. It is up to the umpire whether they get more than that. So it is both a judgment call and a one base award.

Peace
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I call the obstruction and then wait to see what happens. Example, runner is obstructed going toward 3B while ball is in LF, I give the signal and wait to see what happens. The runner is thrown out by F7 at the plate on a close play. In my judgement he is awarded home because absent the obstruction going to 3B he would have been safe. If he was thrown out easily I have nothing, he runs at his own risk past the awarded base (3rd).

I don't like advancing a runner on a type B, when the runner would not have advanced, but that's the FED rule interpretation, although they don't recognize different types of obstruction.

There are several FED rules I don't like, but I call 'em, and I don't let the penalty cloud my thinking.

Last edited by DG; Sun May 14, 2006 at 09:54pm.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
Once upon a time I read an article in Referee magazine breaking down the Fed/OBR rules differences based, essentially, on four factors: (1) economics (metal bats); (2) safety (force play slide rule- although I think there is reasonable disagreement on whether that works); (3) time (run rule- 7 innings); and (4) participation (re-entry rule).
There's also the reason of "umpire competence" -- and the obstruction rule fits this.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 07:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
NIump50,

If I'm reading him right, Bob P.'s objection is that the FED rule mandates a one base minimum award, even if the obstructed runner would NOT have obtained an advance base absent the obstruction.

JM
Personally, I like the minimum one base award. It's sufficient a penalty that perhaps the defense will think twice about committing obstruction again.

I don't lose a lot of sleep over FED rules -- they are what they are and I just go out and play umpire.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I don't lose a lot of sleep over FED rules -- they are what they are and I just go out and play umpire.
Preach on, brutha Rich!