The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Don't go ape

I previously posted "Myth Buster" which basically states the same thing on another thread started by Your Boss, "AMLU rejects proposal." I was working with the bottom figures to try to establish where the 12% offer, which I stated never existed, came from.
--------------------------------
"Did AMLU turn down 12% RAISE? Article stated, "Minor League umpires reject 12 percent raise." It must be true.

http://oursportscentral.com/services...es/?id=3303808

Per diem OFFER increased from $25 to $27, less than 10%.
Salary OFFER increased from $10,000 to $10,500, exactly 5%.

Last I checked $3.57/$60 falls just short of 6%.

I suppose the AMLU looks pretty dumb turning their noses at a 12% RAISE that never existed. ONE SCAB I read about got a 50% RAISE. Perhaps PBUC would consider that 12% raise across the BOARD."
----------------------
One WWTB even challenged me by stating, "You say it never existed, while some pretty involved sources say otherwise. Were you at the table, like Yund and Mobley?" Hmmm, I think NOT. I have since read several other sources quoting this 12% pay raise offer. I can only ascertain that it may have existed and that nobody is talking about it.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Proof the strike is working

I previously posted the following info on "Friendly discussion"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Offer wasn't secret once details were made public. I agree with your SPIN on spin. Only thing I knew was 6 year term was on the table and we all know why. Things are getting better already.

MLB is asking 2-6 umps to take early retirement.
I would say the current STRIKE by AMLU members is more than partly responsible.

MLB UMPS joined their bothers on the picket line. Ex-AAA umpires are NOT returning to work for the good of the game. That means they support those who have chosen to stay and improve their living conditions.

The AA and AAA UMPS {the cream of the crop} were collectively offered a $500 pay raise. So much for PBUC's integrity in their own rating system and anyone's sense of a FAIR deal.

The Rookie and Short Season Single A minor league experience is considered on the job training, an apprenticeship, or any other term you like for keeping wages LOW for NO experience. Those 8 years in A, AA, AAA sound like grounds for making a good journeyman's salary and journeymen do make a pretty decent living.

Low level scabs are already making $30 more than the going rate. Won't be long till the regulars return for their FAIR share. Hopefull this same effect will amplify into AA and AAA. It won't be long before I get $70 for 9 innings of baseball. A couple of years ago it was $50, then last year it went up to $65. Sorry coach, I don't have any change for that $20.

Most realize that life must go on and quickly resume their PRO or non-PRO status. That doesn't mean they no longer umpire. It means they bought a house, married, have kids and finally have a LIFE.
------------------------------------------------
Does PBUC plan to replace the AMLU. How much will that plan cost? Is it worth the holdout?
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Smile $70 Challenge

One person asked me where I got paid $70 a game.

I still don't want to publish names and phone numbers on-line, but let me say that it is part of the largest amateaur adult baseball league in the country. It shouldn't be a secret to any NCAA VET who knows about the real $$$ games. It really isn't that hard to find either.

At the time, I didn't want to give away the details because I knew the local replacement SCABS and the out of work, unemployed AMLU umpires would all be drawn there like a sponge to water. I already know that for each UMP I help into the league, the most I will get for my effort is a well appreciated "thank you." I guess I better sharpen my skills now that the competition may rise a notch or two. We'll see who is invited back.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that this strike is much more similar to 1979 than 1999. Really, didn't you just write that there wasn't a strike in 1979?

That MLB strike lasted 6 full weeks. It involved picketing at stadiums, press releases and press conferences. In many ways, the umpires in 1979 were worse off than today's MiLB umpires. In 1979 many were on the verge of going on food stamps, etc. But, the replacement umpires weren't as dedicated, skilled or equipped. The current crop of amateurs is better prepared for the game.

The MiLB umpires are younger and can easily get work paying more than what they make on the field. (Many have kept their off-season jobs). Yep, that's what some of us keep reminding them. They have a 5 MONTH JOB and want a 12 month salary. Sorry, but there are others trying to make it big someday - actors, musicians and artists that all live on the cheap because that is what their market value is. The pro schools are packed with dreamers.

So what happened in 1979? Eventually the umpiring product on the field caused others in baseball to put pressure on the Leagues to settle and get the "regular guys" back on the field. It took awhile for the press to start paying attention...but they did. Did some of the "replacements" do an adequate job on the field. Sure...many had (or are in the middle of) long MLB careers. Face it, amateur umpiring was a good ol' boy network back then. The top college umpires cherry picked everything. If a guy went to pro school, it was a big deal back home. Those replacements were good but not as prepared as some high school guys today.

So what's going on in 2006? Are some "replacements" doing an adequate job? Sure. Are some over-their-heads at this level. Many are.
That's a slightly biased assessment - 16 leagues and countless games every day...how many stories about bad umpiring?

Are more and more stories about the umpiring situation being reported? In my opinion, yes. (I use Yahoo every day to search for any news story containing the word "umpire"). That seems like a tremendous waste of time...are you out of work or just fixated?

Has the majority of editorials (and I admit their (sic) is not a ton) been pro-AMLU? I would say the vast majority that I have read have been. Did you read these is small town rags and umpire sites? Hmmmm

Does their (sic) appear to be more and more stories coming out about managers, GM's and minor league directors being upset about the replacement umps? Yes, (again based upon my Yahoo search), whether the criticism is justified or not. You are a counselor, right? Please tell me that these are not your courtroom arguments. Four weeks after the AMLU began the strike and they are still clawing for press. They have taken shots at amateurs for doing a thankless job and a few beat reporters have taken the bait. I haven't witnessed the MiLB turmoil on ESPN, MSNBC or the big 4 much. They probably don't have enough reporters looking for the 'news'.

Do I think incidents like the Young incident at Pawtucket and the Southern League forfeit have more and more minor league people talking about the situation? Yes. (For the record, IMHO, the Young incident would have happened with or without the AMLU guys working the game. However, I don't share the same opinion about the forfeit.) We do agree on Young...history shows his tendencies and he will be a marked man from here on out. The SL melee was a joke in more ways than one. The Barons skipper was quoted as saying, "There was no one in charge out there." Uh...buddy...what's your job? Aren't you supposed to control your team, so that the umpire doesn't have to dump your starting pitcher, first baseman and shortstop? Talk about not helping your cause...now I know why he's still in the Minors.

I personally think the strike is going well, and the AMLU is just beginning to get some momentum. I personally thought it would take longer than the 6-week MLB strike because it would take the AMLU longer to get the media to pay attention because this involves MiLB rather than MLB. There's that JD at work again. Most of us figured that the AMLU was p*ssing in the wind on this one. No matter how long they were out, they would look bad. So far, that's exactly what is happening.

So, to conclude, I disagree with your assessment of the current strike's success. Okay...please sit down as the prosecution rebuts...wait...you said you conclude...that means wrapped up...counselor?

Of course, the final judgment as to the success of the strike will be when a CBA is signed. Okay...are you done now? We all figured that the strike would end when a new CBA was enacted or when they wised up and formed a new union.

As to your first question...My first job after leaving the minor leagues (and before going to law school) was as a Sports Information Director at an NCAA Division 2 school. I made $30k. I provided as much of a service to society as an MiLB umpire does. Your value to society does not dictate what your salary is. Really, counselor...

That salary (combined with my wife's slightly less salary at that time) allowed me to pay my bills and buy my first (albeit modest) house. In this position I had minimal duties from mid-may to mid-August (not quite as long of an "off-season" as AMLU members). Not quite??? 3 months off versus 7??? What law school did you go to?

I think that salary (which is double a "AAA") salary is justifiable. For the record, that is what I think they should make...not what I'm predicting they will make after this strike. I don't want someone coming back and posting a month down the road that I claimed that a "AAA" ump would make $30k after the strike. I just think (1) that is what they should make IMHO (2) MiLB and MLB have both seen record growth over the last six years and as a result there is more than enough money to easily fund this salary level. Let's see a starting WUA umpire makes $80,000 for working an impossible level of baseball. He works an extra month, is scrutinized up the yingyang and travels his *** off. If the AMLU wants you to believe that the pressure between amateur ball and MiLB is night and day then so it is with MLB and MiLB. We saw what happens when you put AAA umpires in the WBC.

To the Einstein who asked where he could vote on a 30K salary for a five month job? You already did. After college, most of us had a choice to seek high salaries or live off Mom and Dad a little longer. If you had applied yourself a little, making 75K a year may have happened. ROTFLMAO

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Tue May 09, 2006 at 07:16pm.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

What's the metric, then?

I would quote, but it's frankly more work than I want to do right now.

If I understand the themes/talking points of those who think the AMLU is wrong to strike, they are, generally:

1. College/high school/other good amatuer umpires can (and are) adequately replacing the AMLU guys.

2. Baseball, overall, is no worse off for the AMLU strike.

3. Since there are hundreds if not thousands of vult errrrrr fellow qualified umpires waiting in the wings to drive to Tulsa, Bakersfield, Rockford and Des Moines, the AMLU is wrong or wrongheaded to strike.

4. $15,000 is PLENTY of money for 5 months of work. The fact that the umpires have experienced a net pay cut over the life of the contract with inflation (in particular, health care costs and gasoline) is irrelevant. Any adult can live on $20 a day eating out and maintain a non-Froemming-like physique.

5. The AMLU guys all took the job knowing that MiLB thinks Scrooge's main problem was his boundless generosity. Therefore, the AMLU guys deserve to make what they make.

6. Umpiring the minor leagues is unlike brain surgery, teaching in an inner city, the Peace Corps, toting an M-60 in a combat zone or translating ancient Sanskrit. Therefore, comparing AMLU umpires to those professions is unfair, and minor league umpires don't deserve to make as much as any of those professionals. Therefore, it is ok for PBUC/MiLB to pay AAA umpires $15k a year.

7. On the other hand, umpiring in the minor leagues is unlike umpiring amatuer baseball at any level. Therefore, comparing AMLU umpires to their amatuer brothers and sisters is unfair, and there can be no just comparison for the compensation between the two groups. Therefore, it is ok for PBUC/MiLB to pay AAA umpires $15k a year.

8. On the still THIRD hand, umpiring in the minor leagues is unlike umpiring in the major leagues. Therefore, comparing AMLU umpires to their major league brethern is unfair, and there is no basis for comparison in their relative compensation packages. Therefore, it is ok for PBUC/MiLB to pay AAA umpires $15k a year.

Feel free (I know I don't have to invite) to correct any unfair characterizations or add any important points I have missed.

Here's the question to which I am led from MiLB/PBUC talking points six through eight above: What's the RIGHT comparison? "They are worth what PBUC will pay them" is a cop-out answer. But if those of us who support this union and its efforts to get a living wage are wrong in our analysis, tell us what the right analysis is, and support your answer with logic, please.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
To the Einstein who asked where he could vote on a 30K salary for a five month job? You already did. After college, most of us had a choice to seek high salaries or live off Mom and Dad a little longer. If you had applied yourself a little, making 75K a year may have happened. ROTFLMAO
Am I the Einstein you're talking about. I did say, in jest, where do I vote.

You think that if I had applied myself a little I could have made $75k per year? Wow!!!! It's a good thing that I applied myself even more than that....

Let's see, using your logic....
Apply myself a little = $75k
Apply myself a medium amount = $150k (?)
Apply myself a lot = $225k (?)
Maybe one more level is needed....
Apply myself an incredible amount = $300k (?) I like that one better, let's use it okay?
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

I think you answered your question.

5. The AMLU guys all took the job knowing that MiLB thinks Scrooge's main problem was his boundless generosity. Therefore, the AMLU guys deserve to make what they make

If you go to work in the coal mines of WV, you don't get to complain about emphesyma. There are many people in America that work for sweatshop wages and don't have medical or dental. They work twelve months a year and don't cry about it. No one forced them to take the job in the Minors. Lastly and most importantly, it has been referenced here and times - the AMLU boys make more at their 'side jobs' than they earn umpiring for PBUC. So let's do the math...that 10-15,000 gets doubled and they are still unhappy. Their plight might not strike a chord in the heartland where a farmer gets by on less than that.

I've said it before and you keep ignoring it...they are taking the chance on a dream. They put in the practice, hours and make huge sacrifices all in the name of a slim shot at fame and money. That sounds an awful lot like actors and musicians. In a supply and ddemand society, they get paid for the task they perform not what they are worth. Few of us think that they should get paid what they do, but we'll be damned if we will get bullied into backing 220 guys who think that they are God's gift. An awful lot of men are proving otherwise. By the way, get an almanac and see how many bench clearng brawls happened under the AMLU watch. Check out how many misdeeds and blunders occured under that watch. It will be apparent that the month of amateurs holding the fort is in pretty good company.

$30K for 5 months work??? Yeah, that makes sense when the average Minor League ball player makes less than that. The umpires are not that important and AMLU guys are even less.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I've said it before and you keep ignoring it...they are taking the chance on a dream. . . . .

$30K for 5 months work??? Yeah, that makes sense when the average Minor League ball player makes less than that. The umpires are not that important and AMLU guys are even less.
I'm not ignoring it. And I didn't answer my own question.

A big league blue starts at $80k plus per diem and perks. He flies first class, stays in great hotels, etc., etc.

That's the dream. In the meantime, the AMLU guys work. More, by the way, than your asserted five months a year- spring training, fall instructional leagues, etc.

So where did you come up with $30k? And how do you figure that the minor league player's salary averages less than $30k? Where do you get that figure? Are you comparing AAA players to AAA umpires? I thought we weren't allowed to do that.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Really, didn't you just write that there wasn't a strike in 1979?

Uh, no. I wrote that 1999 was not a strike...1979 was a strike. You swung and missed on that one.

But, the replacement umpires weren't as dedicated, skilled or equipped. The current crop of amateurs is better prepared for the game.

Tell that to all the players, coaches and managers who voted John Shulock one of the top 5 umpires in MLB six or seven years ago. I think John's long career speaks to his "skill" and "dedication". He wasn't the only one to go onto a long MLB career. In fact many of the replacement umpires in 1979 were former AAA umpires.

Yep, that's what some of us keep reminding them. They have a 5 MONTH JOB and want a 12 month salary.

Let's work on our math. March (spring training) through September (playoffs) equals 7 months the last time I counted. Then if in AAA you become classified as an "MLB prospect" you have AFL and overseas winterball. (Edited to add: In the interest of fairness: My subsequent posts should clarify that the $15,000 for an AAA umpire does not include spring training. They do get a pittance more for spring training.

Face it, amateur umpiring was a good ol' boy network back then....Those replacements were good but not as prepared as some high school guys today.

Don't know in 1979 as I was getting ready to play my first tee ball season. I'd take your word for it, but then everything else you've said so far has been off base so maybe I shouldn't.

That's a slightly biased assessment - 16 leagues and countless games every day...how many stories about bad umpiring?

Biased? It is an (my) opinion and I hold it out as such.

Are more and more stories about the umpiring situation being reported? In my opinion, yes. That seems like a tremendous waste of time...are you out of work or just fixated?

No more of a waste of time than your incessent need to go through other posters' posts and add your comments with your magic red font.

Has the majority of editorials...been pro-AMLU? I would say the vast majority that I have read have been. Did you read these is small town rags and umpire sites? Hmmmm

I don't call the New York Times "a small town rag". You might...that's your right. I also guess, from your tone, that in your view there are no small town newspapers producing quality journalism. In your world a newspaper must be in major city/metropolitian area to be of good quality, otherwise they're just a "small town rag". I think there's something wrong with one's logic when one determines the quality of a newspaper by its circulation size.

Does their (sic) appear to be more and more stories coming out about managers, GM's and minor league directors being upset about the replacement umps? ...Four weeks after the AMLU began the strike and they are still clawing for press. They have taken shots at amateurs for doing a thankless job and a few beat reporters have taken the bait. I haven't witnessed the MiLB turmoil on ESPN, MSNBC or the big 4 much. They probably don't have enough reporters looking for the 'news'.

The MLB union in 1979 sought out the press right to the end of their strike. The fact that the AMLU is still seeking out the press now far from suggests that the strike is not going well.

They have taken shots at amateurs. Agreed. I have posted elsewhere that this is pointless and a tactic I do not agree with.

There you go again...if a story doesn't appear on a major broadcaster or in a large circulation paper, then its not a "story". I don't follow that logic. Do a yahoo news search with "umpire" as the key word and one will see a steady increase in the number of hits (returns)...but of course since they're in a small newspaper or small market local TV station its not a "story" in your world.

(For the record, IMHO, the Young incident would have happened with or without the AMLU guys working the game. However, I don't share the same opinion about the forfeit.) We do agree on Young...history shows his tendencies and he will be a marked man from here on out. The SL melee was a joke in more ways than one. The Barons skipper was quoted as saying, "There was no one in charge out there." Uh...buddy...what's your job?...

LOL. The proudest moment I ever had on the field in my MiLB occured when I shut down a bean ball war. I won't go into all the details except to say that after everything was said and done (ejections given, warnings issued, fines (for leaving the dugout) issued) before the very next pitch, the batter turned to me and said, "Damn, its nice to finally have someone in control out here."

Your take on the recent situation shows that you obviously don't have any clue of "game management" on the pro level. Right or wrong players and managers expect you to control the situation, its a skill taught at pro school, and its part of the job description.

I personally think the strike is going well, and the AMLU is just beginning to get some momentum. I personally thought it would take longer than the 6-week MLB strike because it would take the AMLU longer to get the media to pay attention because this involves MiLB rather than MLB. Most of us figured that the AMLU was p*ssing in the wind on this one. No matter how long they were out, they would look bad. So far, that's exactly what is happening.

Talk about bias. As I said, the final result of this labor dispute will decide if they were p*ssing in the wind, or if the "strike went well". That's your opinion that "that's exactly what is happening". Again, one reading all these stories/editorials (oh, wait they're not "stories" in your world) would likely get the impression that the AMLU "looks good" in that they are "in the right".

Of course, the final judgment as to the success of the strike will be when a CBA is signed. Okay...are you done now? We all figured that the strike would end when a new CBA was enacted or when they wised up and formed a new union.

I'll be more blunt since it appears I have to connect the dots for you...The terms of the new CBA will likely dictate whether the strike was a success or not. Either MiLB makes concessions or they don't.

As to your first question...My first job after leaving the minor leagues (and before going to law school) was as a Sports Information Director at an NCAA Division 2 school. I made $30k. I provided as much of a service to society as an MiLB umpire does. Your value to society does not dictate what your salary is. Really, counselor...

True (after all I am currently way underpaid), but the original poster to whom I was responding, asked what I thought their salary should be based on their "service to mankind". I simply changed it to "service to society" in error. I should have left in the word "mankind".

In this position I had minimal duties from mid-may to mid-August (not quite as long of an "off-season" as AMLU members). Not quite??? 3 months off versus 7??? What law school did you go to?

See my response above in this post for my opinion of your math.

I think that salary (which is double a "AAA") salary is justifiable. For the record, that is what I think they should make...not what I'm predicting they will make after this strike. I don't want someone coming back and posting a month down the road that I claimed that a "AAA" ump would make $30k after the strike. I just think (1) that is what they should make IMHO (2) MiLB and MLB have both seen record growth over the last six years and as a result there is more than enough money to easily fund this salary level. Let's see a starting WUA umpire makes $80,000 for working an impossible level of baseball. He works an extra month, is scrutinized up the yingyang and travels his *** off. If the AMLU wants you to believe that the pressure between amateur ball and MiLB is night and day then so it is with MLB and MiLB. We saw what happens when you put AAA umpires in the WBC.

I've never umpired MLB so my response to this question is based solely on knowledge gained from my continuing friendship with people who are "still in the game". First, MiLB umpires travel their *** off. From what I can gather travel is worse in the minors. You drive 4,6,8, 10 hours after a ball game to stay in a mom and pop hotel and then you go out to eat when you get there...only oops you have hardly anything left in that great per diem you get so you grab another grease job at McDonalds. In MLB you fly (often first class) stay at first class hotels (at least the ones that I know are the MLB umpires' hotel) and everytime I've gone out to eat with an MLB umpire...I've eaten pretty damn well. Also, one MLB umpire told me that the "pressure" of the MLB spring training and majority of the regular season was "high but surprisingly not that bad". Although, to be fair he did say that NOTHING compares to the pressure of umpiring a series between contenders in September or in the playoffs. Of course I am not suggesting that this one umpire can speak for the entire MLB staff.

If you had applied yourself a little, making 75K a year may have happened. ROTFLMAO

Wow, that's so tasteless and classless and such an assumption, that I won't say anything further.

Last edited by lawump; Wed May 10, 2006 at 02:28pm.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Inflation & Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
4. $15,000 is PLENTY of money for 5 months of work. The fact that the umpires have experienced a net pay cut over the life of the contract with inflation (in particular, health care costs and gasoline) is irrelevant. Any adult can live on $20 a day eating out and maintain a non-Froemming-like physique.
Don't want to get into the middle of this fine lawyer talk but I understood from talking to some umps that MiLB has absorbed all of the health care premium increases and the gasoline charge is reimbursed at the IRS rate. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. So MiLB would be paying those inflationary costs. Also, in some leagues (Double A maybe) the leagues provide and pay for vans.

Some current or former umps can elaborate but I've also heard that umps will often get special perqs like discounted or free golf and health club memberships because of minor league club's deals. I'm sure the IRS would consider this income, not that anyone in america would report it as such. And from what I understand the umps load up on the free hotel breakfast and get fed at the park, so often it's one meal a day and snacks that we're talking about with per diem.

Don't have the energy (or courtroom skills!) to tackle the other points. I'll leave that to the perry masons on the board.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

As to the argument: "they only work 5 months a year so they are being paid adequately."

First, they work March through September = 7 months.

But, they don't work normal days. They work 7 days a week during those months. They get no vacations. No trips home. They live their job for the entire season.

They may have 1 or 2 scheduled days off...but they can loose those if the league schedules make-up games due to rain, etc.

A full-season MiLB umpire will work 140 regular season games + 4 weeks (28 games, give or take) of spring training + (possibly) 7 post-season games.

That's 175 work days in seven months or so. (With no vacations and no holidays)

Now let's look at someone who works a traditional 9 to 5 Monday through
Friday job.

There are 260 weekdays (potential work days) in 2006.

Now subtract the holidays most workers get. (New Year's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, Good Friday or Easter Monday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day and Friday, Christmas Eve and Day).

That's 12 holidays (if you make the assumption that a worker gets Good Friday or Easter Monday off, but not both.) We're down to 248 work days.

Now let's add state holidays. Of course this varies from state to state. Massachusetts (and Maine) has Patriot Day. South Carolina has Confederate Memorial Day. Other states have other holidays. I'll guess (yes, its a guess) that the average is one a year. We're down to 247.

Now let's add in a two-week vacation (-10 days) and one-week of sick leave (-5 days). I got these figures from all the entry level jobs I've ever had. That gets us to 232.

That's 232 work days vs. 175. Or a minor league umpire's annual number of work days are 75% of a "traditional" worker's annual number of work days. This is far different than "they work 5 months instead of 12" which suggests they work 41.6% as much as a "traditional" worker.

Of course, as a "traditional worker" moves up the ladder his/her vacation and sick leave usually goes up. Since, a pro umpire gets absolutely NO leave time until he makes it to MLB...I would say its fair to conclude that a 10-year AAA pro umpire's annual number of work days are even closer to the annual number of work days for a "traditional worker" who is a 10-year veteran with a company.

I'm not suggesting that a MiLB umpire works as many days as a "traditional worker"...but the gap between these two groups is a lot smaller than others might suggest.

(Edit: Again, my posts below should show my mea culpa for forgetting that umpires are paid separately for spring training. (I've been out of the game too long) They get paid a pittance during spring training that is in addition to their salary. But, as I said below, even though they may not be required to work spring training under the CBA, they are in reality required if they desire to be promoted. Thus the 175 work days argument I stated above is valid...only its at $15,000 + (pittance payed by host team) for those 7 months for a AAA umpire.)

Last edited by lawump; Wed May 10, 2006 at 02:36pm.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

apples & oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
As to the argument: "they only work 5 months a year so they are being paid adequately."

First, they work March through September = 7 months.
Are the AMLU guys including their spring training pay in the nubmers they are throwing around? I didn't get the impression that they were including it in those numbers so you can count march if they aren't.

I think its hard to compare an umpiring job to people working 8 or 10 hour days. A lot of people would love to go to the ballpark for work.

Your thoughts on the difficulty of travel are valid.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
Are the AMLU guys including their spring training pay in the nubmers they are throwing around? I didn't get the impression that they were including it in those numbers so you can count march if they aren't.

I think its hard to compare an umpiring job to people working 8 or 10 hour days. A lot of people would love to go to the ballpark for work.

Your thoughts on the difficulty of travel are valid.
I don't know if Spring Training is currently included in the "they get paid $15,000" per year. I do know this, if they are not working MLB spring training, they are getting paid a minimal amount for that month. If I remember back to the late '90s, I believe I was paid by the organization I was assigned to...and that this amount varied from organization to organization. I have had numerous persons complain to me about the spring training pay since I left the game.

Let's not kid ourselves, whether their contract with PBUC requires them to work spring training or not...the fact is, for the past 15 years, they have to work it if they have any hope of promotion.

So if they are paid by the organization they're assigned to and not under the expired CBA with MiLB/PBUC...they make a bit more...instead of the $15,000 I suggested for a AAA umpire. But, all they get is that same unlivable monthly wage (or less...as in my case) for another month.

They are still working 175 days vs. 232. Only the base pay of $15,000 would be a bit higher.

I'll try to track down a more exact amount from some friends today.

As for "going to the ballpark" each day...Sure I agree, but I think for a lot of umpires the grind of the life causes one to loose that romanticism after a few seasons.

Last edited by lawump; Wed May 10, 2006 at 10:13am.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I went back and took a look at my finances for my 1st year in the game and I made almost $14,500 in Salary that included Spring, Extended, Short A, and Instructs. That does not include per diem which was roughly $4000. I was not a driver my first year but I was my second, and those mileage checks were very nice, and yes the cost of gas has gone up, but if they were to match the federal mileage rate, then that would be a major chunk of change.

Lets' look at a AAA guy making $2800/month during Spring, AAA, instructs he would make about 22,000, and when the guys that get back from the Caribbean, they are carrying anywhere from $8000-$12,000, cash with them.

The point, neither side is being honest about the numbers, so let's not play the numbers game.

Starting Teacher makes about $28,000 for 9 months of work and no meal money and no mileage to drive to work. Should they be paid more? Probably. What did they spend on their professional training? $50,000, minimum!

Starting Umpire makes about $14,500 for 7 months of work and about $4000 for meals and about $0.40 a mile do drive to work. Should they be paid more? Probably. What did they spend on their professional training? $5,000 maximum!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Working at the Ballpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
As for "going to the ballpark" each day...Sure I agree, but I think for a lot of umpires the grind of the life causes one to loose that romanticism after a few seasons.
I'm just saying that many people would trade their daily grind for the "grind" of going to a pro ballpark each day. I've seen umpire and other facilites in new minor league parks and they're really nice.