The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

The turn past 1st

This is a really simple question (I'm a Little League Chief Umpire) but I'm trying to find definitive guidance. A batter runner overrunning 1st doesn't HAVE to turn right to safely return to 1st base without risk of tag out. He can turn left, so long as in the judgement of the umpire he returns immediately to base and makes no attempt to continue to second.

That's my understanding, but the rule book doesn't address the turn, only the action of the runner returning immediately to 1st base. Any guidance you're aware of? Thanks. --t.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgranillo
This is a really simple question (I'm a Little League Chief Umpire) but I'm trying to find definitive guidance. A batter runner overrunning 1st doesn't HAVE to turn right to safely return to 1st base without risk of tag out. He can turn left, so long as in the judgement of the umpire he returns immediately to base and makes no attempt to continue to second.

That's my understanding, but the rule book doesn't address the turn, only the action of the runner returning immediately to 1st base. Any guidance you're aware of? Thanks. --t.
Your interpretation is correct. See website below for this and 39 other common misinterps...

http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/ru...ths/index.cfm?
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:07pm

You are correct. The runner may turn right or left, and return immediately. If he makes a move toward second, he is in jeopardy of being tagged out. Rules 7.08(c) and (j), 7.10(c).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I never knew that most mechanics had the PU make this call, I always had the BU making this call, of course the BU can get help, but it is still his call.

If he makes any movement that can be justified as an attempt, then he can be put out. Do not place the emphasis on an immediate return, b/c some think if the B/R takes a second or two too long getting back, then he can be put out. Have your guys focus on the attempt/no attempt.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I never knew that most mechanics had the PU make this call, I always had the BU making this call, of course the BU can get help, but it is still his call.

If he makes any movement that can be justified as an attempt, then he can be put out. Do not place the emphasis on an immediate return, b/c some think if the B/R takes a second or two too long getting back, then he can be put out. Have your guys focus on the attempt/no attempt.
OK, I could be totally wrong on that. It has been so long since I dealt with the situation, I should have looked it up before posting.

Joe
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Durham, which mechanics have the PU making this call? IMHO, the only time the PU could make this call is if U2 goes out on a trouble ball from the A position.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I responded to jwwashburn, he said that the PU made the call, but he deleted the post and retracted the comment.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I responded to jwwashburn, he said that the PU made the call, but he deleted the post and retracted the comment.
Yep.

One of those things that pops into the ol noggin and it sounded right when i posted it...but, now I realize that that it was dumb>
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
That explains it!!! Something I learned a long time ago..."they can't use what you don't say against you"!!

Take Care!!

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.