The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly Call

Working in my first year, I have noticed that some mechanics are different for each person; as in last night.

I am doing the plate. We have runners 1&2, 1 OUT. hIGH POP FLY TO 2B (TAKES 1 STEP TO RIGHT). Easy call. As ball is coming down, my partner on bases, does nothing/says nothing. SO, at the last minute I signal and announce "INFIELD FLY RULE". Kids drops the ball, no one advances. 2 outs- eveyone happy. OR so I think.....

IN the 1/2 inning, my partner comes over to me and blasts me (yes in front of everyone) that it is MY call on the IFF, and I shoul dnever "run over him again" like that. I have been doing baseball for 30+ f#@&!^g years. Then storms off. Well, to say the least, I was shell shocked for the next inning.

So, asking the experts here: is there a code as to whom shall call IFF? Was I wrong in what I did.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I would tell your partner that if he would have made "his" call, then you would not have had to "run him over". Just think of the sh!thouse you would have been in had you not called IFF and a potential double play ensued. I think it is the responsibility of any or all umpires to get that IFF called. Just don't call it to early. Wait for the ball to reach its highest point and begins to return to the earth.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Either umpire on the field may verbalize the Infield fly.

Generally, when I am the Field ump, I will just signal, (point directly skyward) and not verbalize the IFF. I'll let my partner the plate man verbalize IFF call. The field guy has way too many things to watch, runners touching of bases, possible catch or letting it drop to catch some unsuspecting runner, runners advancing, collisions between runners & fielders, there is probably a myriad of other things that can be thought up.

If your partner got bent out of shape because he perceived that you stole his thunder, tell him to suck it up, dig his head out of the sand, and you are a team and need to work together. If he doesn't like it, tough s&^t, take charge and tell him to read his rule book section 9 for Umpire Responsiblities.

30 years of experience doesn't mean crap when you berate your partner between innings for something so trivial.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Just because someone has 30 years of experience it does not mean that umpire knows what the hell he is doing. You can be a 2 year umpire and have more baseball knowledge than this guy. As stated by others any umpire can call an IFF.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Your partner was incompetent.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:59am

According to the mechanics I was taught, since the ball turned the BU around to face the IFF, then he should have initiated the verbal and physical call when the ball reached its apex, and the PU should immediately follow suit with both verbal and physical call.

So, this 30 year smitty was a boob, and the first year umpire was correct. If the 30 year vet knew it was his call, why the hell didn't he make it to begin with? That would have been a great question to ask the chuch.

And where did he get off blasting you in front of everybody? I would report him to your assignor and association president for conduct unbecoming an umpire!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Both umpires have concurrent responsibility for infield fly, so either may call it. Once you judge it's an IFF, call it.

Jim Evans likes to ask umpires like your smitty/charlie partner: "Do you have 30 years' experience, or one year's experience 30 times?"
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

As said earlier, either umpire can and should call this.

It has been my experience, however, that if anyone "owns" this call, it is PU, not BU.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
SM, you did good!!! I applaud your restraint in not blasting that moron partner of yours. Don't let a dufus like that discourage you, keep plugging away!!

I'm not a 30 year umpire, but I'm not a rookie. I tell my partner's in our pre-game, don't come in and talk to me during the game!! We have some chatter box guys in our association who love to spend time just chatting away, and I find that looks awful as well as it breaks my focus during the game. If there is something VERY IMPORTANT that you need to communicate with me, then signal me and we can meet between innings.

I once had a very "big dog" call time in the middle of an inning, to tell a member of our 3 man crew that he blew a coverage. That is a NO NO in my book, and I have not worked with that man since, and that occured in 1999.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize, but after 11 years in the minors, I wouldn't have had the restraint to wait till the locker room. I would have said, "Look, if you want to make your call, don't sit around and wait by the phone...pick the goddamn thing up and make it." Of course, it would have been with "all due respect" LOL...

PS...you partner was wrong...he had 30 years of inexperience...and he's got no balls.

I heard he's in Fresno tonight working AAA...JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING

Thatballzreallylow
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_bbcoach

In the 1/2 inning, my partner comes over to me and blasts me (yes in front of everyone) that it is MY call on the IFF, and I should never "run over him again" like that. I have been doing baseball for 30+ f#@&!^g years. Then storms off. Well, to say the least, I was shell shocked for the next inning.
BU belongs in the outfield between innings. PU belongs on one of the lines. If he has doing basebal for 30+ years he should know to be in the outfield where he belongs. Sounds like your partner made an extra effort to come in to "discuss" this with you. I think I would have had some words for him too.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
BU belongs in the outfield between innings. PU belongs on one of the lines. If he has doing basebal for 30+ years he should know to be in the outfield where he belongs. Sounds like your partner made an extra effort to come in to "discuss" this with you. I think I would have had some words for him too.
Good point, and to expand on it I will say that there is a damn good reason we should take up our proper positions between half innings. In a two man crew especially, there are incurred responsibilities for each umpire.

The PU should make himself available for the coaches should a lineup change be made on the half inning. Then he has the responsibilty of standing on the foul line and ensuring the pitcher is getting his proper amount of warm ups within a reasonable amount of time. I also have no problem moving the players along if they're taking their own sweet time getting out onto the field. Usually a little verbal "lets hustle guys" gets the job done. If that doesn't work their pitcher just gets cut short on his warm ups.

The BU needs to get out into short right field as soon as the last out is recorded. Initially he needs to be watching the two teams as they switch positons, taking extra care after a heated play to watch for any nonsense that might occur in the heat of the moment. Then it's his responsibility to see to it that all 9 defensive players are on the field, all warm up balls have been thrown back in, and look to see that there is a base coach in each box before the ball is put in play. It ticks me off when I work with someone who thinks that he deserves a three minute break on every half inning.

Tim.