The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 12:25am

And I'm saying that, no, there is no "specific" rule covering this "exact" situation, just as there is no "specific" rule dealing with a player shooting someone. It was an example. When you don't have a specific rule to deal with something, you then have to use "common sense." I did not say that I would use this to forfeit a game, but I think you can use it to forfeit a game.

10-2-2 says that the UIC is the sole authority to forfeit a game, and has jurisdiction on anything not covered in 10-2-1, which contains a list of generic authorities he has at his disposal. If he can forfeit a game because a team is late, or willfully and persistently violates a rule, I think it is well within his scope to forfeit a game for an assault on an official, a much more serious offense.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Apr 03, 2006 at 12:28am.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress
***SNIPPED***
The plate umpire cannot continue behind the plate. The umpires switch positions and finish the game. Visitors, down 3 at the time, win 13-6.
***SNIPPED***
This brings back painful memories for me. Simply put, Carl, were it my game, I would do the same thing that I did 4 years ago. Help my partner up from the field, help him to his car, dial 911 and get a policeman there! I would never, NEVER return to the field under any circumstances!
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the game cannot continue after the assault of an official. I would say the same thing about any high school athletic contest.

I also agree that suspending the game would be the right move. In the heat of the moment, I'm sure I would be tempted to forfeit. But that's a blunt weapon: and there's some justice in the claim that this individual's actions should not determine the fate of the entire team.

The advantage of suspension is this: if cooler heads determine that forfeit is the right way to go, it can always be applied afterwards. On the other hand, it is (as someone noted) much more difficult to reverse a forfeit.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I agree that the game cannot continue after the assault of an official. I would say the same thing about any high school athletic contest.

I also agree that suspending the game would be the right move. In the heat of the moment, I'm sure I would be tempted to forfeit. But that's a blunt weapon: and there's some justice in the claim that this individual's actions should not determine the fate of the entire team.

The advantage of suspension is this: if cooler heads determine that forfeit is the right way to go, it can always be applied afterwards. On the other hand, it is (as someone noted) much more difficult to reverse a forfeit.
I would NEVER declare a forfeit here. Suspend the game and let someone else make the decision to forfeit.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Clearer heads prevailed . . .

It seems to me, based on all the information presented, that the two umpires decided that, excluding the assailant, everyone remained in control of themselves and did their best to prevent any further problems.
Call the police.
Arrest the assailant.
Remove him from the area.
But, if the umpires were comfortable continuing, I am in their corner. I don't see ANY reason to forfeit.
Even the assailants dad ( a parent ??? ) was upset at and disapproved of his son's actions.
It just sounds like everyone execpt the assailant was in the right frame of mind.
Play baseball.
After all, isn't that why we are there?
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for clarifying the "moved foot" part - now I see it!
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I belive my actions would have leaned towards suspending the game. BUT and this is a big but,if there were no other players or coaches involved and tempers were not a consideration I can see why the umpires involved continued the game. If the attacked umpire felt well enough to continue sometimes the competitive spirit of a person won't let them just quit.
I also firmly belive that the player should have been held at the game site by the game administrator away from the field till the proper authorities could have been contacted to handle the situation.
My thoughts are with our Texas brothers in arms and hope that firm action is taken on this situation.