The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Pitcher Balk

Runner Leading-off 2b, F1 In Proper Set Postion, Checks Runner At 2b, F1 Turns To Face Batter And Jumps In Air And Turns (180 Degrees) And Throws An Attempt To Pick-off Runner At 2b. I Called Balk, Because F1 Was Not In Contact With Rubber Or Stepped-off To Become Infieder While In Air, Or Am I Wrong; This Is A Legal Jump-turn Or Jump-spin Move?

Last edited by RRDavis; Sat Apr 01, 2006 at 06:50pm.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

That is called a jump turn, it is legal, and is not a balk. A pitcher can not balk to 2nd base.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I'm trying to image in my mind what you describing, but yeah, it sounds like a balk to me. All they have to do is is spin and turn towards second or raise their pivot foot and step that way.

LOL

From the J/R;

Two Legal Steps

1) Following are two types of steps that are legal.

a) “Jab" Step (of the pivot foot): In cases of a right-handed pitcher throwing to first, or a left-handed pitcher throwing to third, or any pitcher throwing to second, a pitcher can take a "jab" or "stutter" step with his pivot foot before stepping to the base with his free foot. The motion of the "stutter" step and the resulting step of the free foot must be fluid and continuous; if the two motions are not continuous, there is a balk. Of course, the latter step must bring the free foot at, and nearer to, the pickoff base.

b)"Jump" Step: A pitcher can, without balking, jump (i.e., both his feet go airborne simultaneously) before his non-pivot foot retouches the ground in a different position: this is a jump step. Of course, such a step must bring his free foot at, and nearer to, the pickoff base.

Tim.