The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Pitcher in the set position however pivot foot is behind the rubber. Pitcher throws to first without stepping. Balk or no balk? Pitcher never toed the rubber.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by gold067
Pitcher in the set position however pivot foot is behind the rubber. Pitcher throws to first without stepping. Balk or no balk? Pitcher never toed the rubber.

FED rule 6-1-3

After F1 has placed his pivot foot on the ground clearly behind the plate, he then has the right to throw or feint to a base the same as that of any other infielder.

OBR equivalent 8.01(e)

Therefore, in your thread we do not have a Balk.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can the pitcher be in the set position with the pivot foot behind the rubber?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 03:03pm
Michael Taylor

Pete:
Wouldn't you have a balk because he was simulating a set off the rubber. If he came set and stepped off and was a little slow dropping his hands that's one thing but to set off the rubber is whole different creature.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Michael Taylor
Pete:
Wouldn't you have a balk because he was simulating a set off the rubber. If he came set and stepped off and was a little slow dropping his hands that's one thing but to set off the rubber is whole different creature.

Michael as Bob mentioned, If F1 is off the rubber, he isn't in a set position to begin with, he is merely off the rubber
and is a fielder and therefore, as the rules states he / she may do those actions which any other fielder may do.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he is merely straddling the rubber with hand in glove, then that is nothing and he is free to throw or feint as he wishes. However, if while not in contact with the rubber he does his normal stretching motion, that would be a balk for simulating a motion associated with his pitch. Balk that regardless of whether a throw or feint occurs.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:20pm
Michael Taylor

Steve:

That was my point. If he does his normal set but off the rubber then that's got to be a balk. If I'm wrong somebody please correct me but I would and have called that a balk with no complaints.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Michael,

In my eyes, you and Steve are correct. It's a motion associated with his normal delivery in this case from the stretch. It goes to the heart of the balk, intent to deceive the runner and in this case that appears to be what we have..

L.G.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Steve:

That was my point. If he does his normal set but off the rubber then that's got to be a balk. If I'm wrong somebody please correct me but I would and have called that a balk with no complaints.
I think it important to note, Michael, that merely being in a position that could be interpreted as a set position (straddling rubber with hand in glove) is not enough to call the balk. You must consider how he got to that position.

You have to to judge that the player is actually starting "his stretching motion to come set" while not in contact with the rubber. There will be other factors that come into play. After all, I have seen pitchers merely stretch their arms upward in a true "stretch" to remove tightness. We don't want rookies walking away calling a balk on someone for that action alone. It is a judgement call as to whether you feel the pitcher "is coming set" while off the rubber. If you think it occurred, it is a balk regardless of whether a throw or feint is made.

Freix
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 10:14pm
Michael Taylor

I agree but the original post said he was in the set position off the rubber and had never been on the rubber at all. I took this to mean he was actually set not just in a stretch position. Just straddling the the pitching plate is nothing but going to a full set is. IMO
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Help me quick

Does anyone know if there have ever been any ambidextrous pitchers. Pitching from left and right side of the plate in the historyof MLB.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteBooth
[B] Originally posted by gold067

FED rule 6-1-3

After F1 has placed his pivot foot on the ground clearly behind the plate, he then has the right to throw or feint to a base the same as that of any other infielder.

OBR equivalent 8.01(e)
Therefore, in your thread we do not have a Balk.
__________________________________________________ __________
I always see pitchers do the following:

Pitcher in set position. Lifts his pivot in the air in a movement back and completely off the mound. He throws the ball towards first as his foot is in the air in the process of disengaging. I guess theoretically this would be a balk because at the time of the throw his foot is still in the air but I have never seen an umpire call this. Would you call it a balk?

Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree but the original post said he was in the set position off the rubber and had never been on the rubber at all. I took this to mean he was actually set not just in a stretch position. Just straddling the the pitching plate is nothing but going to a full set is. IMO
The set position can have two meanings:

1) The pitcher, while on the rubber, having his arms at his side would be the set position.

2) The pitcher, while on the rubber, bringing his arms together to come set would also be the set position.

You can't be in a set position off the rubber. You can only simulate the set position. If he is just stading there off the rubber, no balk. However, if he makes any movement associated with the set position while off the rubber(such as bringing his arms together to come set) than you have a balk.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144

I always see pitchers do the following:

Pitcher in set position. Lifts his pivot in the air in a movement back and completely off the mound. He throws the ball towards first as his foot is in the air in the process of disengaging. I guess theoretically this would be a balk because at the time of the throw his foot is still in the air but I have never seen an umpire call this. Would you call it a balk?

The pivot foot must be on the ground before the ball is released on the throw. If you clearly see the throw first, balk it. IF you're unsure (a) don't balk it, or (b) balk it if it's close and the pitcher won't make it close anymore. correct answer depends on umpire, level of game, amount af "abuse" willing to take on first call vs. amount of "whining" willing to put up with if call isn't made, etc.