The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Go back and read my first post in this thread. Do you see yourself mentioned in it? No, you don't because my response had nothing to do with you, PWL. The man asked for opinions. You gave yours and then I gave mine. I made no mention that I felt you were wrong for not calling balks at the high school level. I only gave my opinion that I do call them when I se them.

Yet you took this as an attack and once again lashed out with your childish name calling because I have an opposing view point. Now it's all about race, social status, field availabilty and my insensitivity to these issues. What do any of these items you've mentioned have to do with learning to play the game of baseball properly? You make it sound like all the players in your area are starving empoverished children who you have a need to molly coddle. I doubt that's the case. No, you're just trying to switch the focus away from officiating baseball to social issues.

You mention limited field availablity and reduced playing time. If that's the case then stopping to instruct the pitchers on balks only detracts from their playing time.

Call me all the names you care to. BigDump, BigUmp666, Quenbee56, Slingblade, Haagy, BigPrick56, FatUmp56, and whatever else your childish mind can come up with. It won't change the fact that you are not only a small minded individual, but a poor umpire as well.

Tim.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Blaine:

You know I respect your opinions, but I still have a problem with instructing a pitcher on balks.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Feb 5th, 2006 at 03:39 PM]
I need to make sure I am being very clear here. I never IGNORE a balk. If the pitcher blows through the stop, I call it - everytime. In the game I described, he hadn't balked until I called it. Now, he was close to not stopping before that, but did. I called another one an inning later too. Remember, this was a playoff game at a National Championship of Men's baseabll, so yes, I have no problem calling a balks.

What I am saying is if the pitcher is very close to balking and guys are yapping at me, I often "remind" the pitcher to make sure he stops. Either that, or I yell at the offense that, "He's close to not stopping and I'll call it if he doesn't". Either way, the pitcher knows he better stop cause I am looking at it.

I works the other way too. R1 almost gets picked off and he is *****ing that the LH pitcher's foot went to far back. I'll "coach" the runner on how far the foot needs to go back. Why not? He asked why it wasn't a balk and I told him.

Your milage may vary.

Blaine
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Blaine:

You know I respect your opinions, but I still have a problem with instructing a pitcher on balks.

Here's why, and mind you this is purely hypothetical.

Top of the forth inning with R1 only. Home teams left handed pitcher fails to gain sufficient direction and distance on a successfull pickoff on R1.

I call, "Thats a balk, Time!! You second base."

Defensive manager in a huff comes out. "Hey, Tim, how in the he11 is that a balk, it looked like a good move to me!"

"Skip, he stepped more toward home than first and that's a balk."

He then say's, "Show me in the rule book where that's a balk!"

"Skip the rule say's he must step directly toward the base, he didn't do that, now lets play ball."

"That sucks!" says the coach.

Now we're in the bottom of the sixth with R1 only as well.

Visting teams pitcher feigns a throw to first from the rubber, but I don't call a balk. Now the storm is going to erupt.

Home teams coach heads out and yells. "Hey, Tim thats a balk, and you know it!"

What am I supposed to tell him?

"Well, skip I think he didn't gain an advantage because he didn't pick your runner off." "He just needs some lessons on how not to balk."

I preferr to be consitent and call balks when I see them for high shool players. When you start to coach one pitcher in one situation you'll need to start coaching all pitchers in all situations. That's not an umpires responsibility in my opinion.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Feb 5th, 2006 at 03:39 PM]

Tim, i really don't see your point here on why a brief explanation is bad...
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Mark:

I have no problem giving a brief explanation of why a balk was called if asked. What I don't like to do is not call it then try to teach the pitcher what not to do. If we start doing that we might as well be showing up an extra hour early to hold a pre-game balk clinic. I believe wholeheartedly in the see a balk call a balk principle.

Tim.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by fwump

Our organization held its annual field clinic today. Clinicians were Minor League guys, one from Texas League and one from AAA PCL.

We were rotating in and out of a scrimmage game between a couple of 14U local teams. During my turn as PU with R3 I balked the pitcher for not coming to a stop. At the conclusion of the inning during my evaluation the PCL ump told me he probably would'nt have called that balk. His point: Is R3 going anywhere? Probably not. Was there any real attempt to deceive? Also probably not. He went on say in essence, that balking a pitcher with R3 should be treated differently than in other situations.

I was wondering what you guys think. Do you consider things like age of players or the inning or the score before you call the balk in this sitch or does it or should it matter?

Your thread happened in a Collegiate game in which the winning run was balked in. IThat thread generated a huge debate and it's one of those in which the Final answer resides in:

1. Who do you work for

In my opinion we need to look at the situation. If R3 is dancing off of third and the offense wants to put pressure on F1 or put on some sort of play and F1 doesn't stop then I balk him. IMO, you can't let the defense gain an advantage not intended by the rules, However,

in the case presented, R3 Going No-where perhaps talking to his base coach and "glued" to the bag, I will let it go BUT I will call time and do some preventative umpiring by cleaning off the plate and having a chat with F2. F2 saw what F1 did and will have a talk with F1. If F1 does it again reagardless of the situation then I call the Balk.

Is this fair or umpiring the way I feel like it?

Some will probably say yes. However, IMO we need to take a look at the History of the rules and the discernable stop was put in otherwise R1 could not get any kind of lead because he/she would have no idea when F1 was going to the plate or trying to pick him off.

IMO, the rule was not meant for runners who are stationary and not going anywhere.

Therefore to answer your question

What do your "bosses" want you to call? and that's the way you call it.

Pete Booth