View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Probably the reason you wouldn't call the balk is due to the fact that you don't know one when you see one.

I assume nothing. It's not my job to instruct high school players how to play the game. That's why they have coaches.

In a non-competitive instructional league it's a different story.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Feb 5th, 2006 at 02:11 PM]
Tim:

Regardless of the level, we can and should "coach" to some extent. I have just completed a three part series on how coaching and umpiring roles collide at times. Here is part of what I said in part one.

---------------------

"That's a balk!" I bellowed. "You," I said pointing to the runner at second, "third base."

"Balk? What the hell is that for," the manager said as he bolted out from the bench.

Wanting to cut off any argument, I intercepted the coach at the mound and quickly got to the point. "Listen coach, he isn't stopping. And to make it worse, I already told your pitcher to make sure he stops."

"You did what?" the coach asked.

"Last inning," I continued, "I told your pitcher to make sure he was stopping. He was coming very close to not stopping and Ontario was *****ing about it. I can't do much more. Let's play."

The coach looked at the pitcher and he had this sheepish look on his face. "Make sure you F***ing stop!" the coach said as he stomped away. As the coach stormed off I thought, gee, that was exactly what I told him. I could be a coach!

This exchanged took place in August of 2003. Alberta was playing Ontario in the quarterfinal game of the Canadian Senior (no age limit) Baseball Championships. I was working 3rd base and figured to have a quiet night. Well, I called this crucial balk (the runner scored on a sacrifice fly) and also had four tag plays at third! So much for stealing money on this night!

------------------

As you can see, this was a high level and a "big" game. I see nothing wrong with giving someone a head's up that they are close to balking. If they decide to ignore that, they screw them.

I see it as preventative umpiring, not coaching. In the long run it makes my games smoother.

Blaine