View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fwump
I am on board with the concept of "preventitive umpiring". And I'm getting the idea from the feedback here that age level does matter to most of you guys when you are faced with this sitch.

Lets say you are doing a HS varsity playoff game. Tie game bottom 7th with R3. F1 comes set and does not come to a full stop but it is close. Is your thinking here going to be different? Are you willimg to balk in the winning run on a not very blatent balk?

Mike
Forget Hypotheticals:

Three years ago, at the American Legion Regionals: Bottom of the last, home down by 1, R2 and R3, two outs. Visitors bring in the third reliever of the day.

On the second pitch he doesn't come to a stop. "That's a balk!"

The tying run scores, the go ahead runner moves to third. On the next pitch the batter hits a "seeing eye" grounder just past the second baseman and the new R3 scores, game over.

Coach is screaming at me: "I can't believe you would call a balk so late in the season."

As I pass him leaving the field I respond, "I can't believe your pitcher would balk so late in the season."

Do you make safe/out calls differently in the latter innings? How about fair/foul calls? Why would you suggest that balk calls be any different?