LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: Carl

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Carl,

I read somewhere that you had retired from umpiring in 1996. Obviously you came out of retirement. When and why? Did you miss it too much?
I retired so I could watch my grandson play T-ball. Then, Coach Harold Allen, a pitcher in the Astros organization, asked me if I would train the umpires for his Rising Star Baseball School leagues and tournaments.

I was yaking about this and that one evening, and the kiddos wanted a break. I started out of Building A, heading for Bulding B and the head when I heard Charley (his real name, not Jim Evans' Charley) say: "Well, he talks a good game, but I'd like to see him get his fat as* on the field and show us what to do."

So I did.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
You are debating with someone who thinks umpires should wear white.
Correcting your lie:

Should, no
Do, yes
Optional, absolutely.

Tell me again how impersonal this hatred you have for me is?
That doesn't sound personal to me. You said that you like to wear white and he said what most of us know. I haven't found a rule book or umpire manual that says this is okay. How is that personal?

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Carl

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Carl,

I read somewhere that you had retired from umpiring in 1996. Obviously you came out of retirement. When and why? Did you miss it too much?
I retired so I could watch my grandson play T-ball. Then, Coach Harold Allen, a pitcher in the Astros organization, asked me if I would train the umpires for his Rising Star Baseball School leagues and tournaments.

I was yaking about this and that one evening, and the kiddos wanted a break. I started out of Building A, heading for Bulding B and the head when I heard Charley (his real name, not Jim Evans' Charley) say: "Well, he talks a good game, but I'd like to see him get his fat as* on the field and show us what to do."

So I did.
How fat is your ***, Carl?
If I knew how to embed a photo....
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:49pm
Veteran College Umpire

Just hold it up to the screen - if it really IS big, we'll all see it!

JJ

PS Do you have a big moniter?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Just hold it up to the screen - if it really IS big, we'll all see it!

JJ

PS Do you have a big moniter?
Monitor. Is that what they call it in your neck of North Carolina? You don't hear banjos in the background, do you?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he wasn't referring to your computer screen? (grin)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:33pm

Let's just say the moon is always full and has more crack than Harlem.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Tell me, when was the last time you were in Harlem?

On what basis what do you judge the amount of crack there?

Are you as racist as you appear?
Garth: A simple Google search reveals:

1. New York is classified as an HIDTA or high intensity drug trafficking area. Of 89,323 felony arrests in Hew York City in 2003, 14,023 tested positive for crack cocaine. (Office of National Drug Control Policy)

2. Studies conducted in East Harlem, NY, reported 33% of crack users to be female; 91% of the population using cocaine were African American or Hispanic. (Medicine.com)

3. My last time in Harlem was in 1991. After a game at Yankee Stadium, we drove down Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. on our way to a meeting in mid-town Manhattan with Jim Evans, who had called the plate that night. He did a pretty good job. (grin)

4. I was last in Mississippi in 1960, registering black (we called them Negroes in those days) voters for the Kennedy/Nixon presidential election. We hoped most would vote for Kennedy. Perhaps they did, but Sen. Harry Byrd of Virginia, a segregationist Democrat, won Mississippi's eight electoral votes.

5. Facts are not racist. There is plenty of crack in Harlem. And Houston. And Los Angeles. And even Seattle.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Tell me, when was the last time you were in Harlem?

On what basis what do you judge the amount of crack there?

Are you as racist as you appear?

1. New York is classified as an HIDTA or high intensity drug trafficking area. Of 89,323 felony arrests in Hew York City in 2003, 14,023 tested positive for crack cocaine. (Office of National Drug Control Policy)

Spokane, Washington was so listed in 2005.

2. Studies conducted in East Harlem, NY, reported 33% of crack users to be female; 91% of the population using cocaine were African American or Hispanic. (Medicine.com)

That bears repeating 91 of THOSE USING COCAINE...not, 91% of the population uses cocaine. By the way, Spokaen is 94% Caucasion.

3. My last time in Harlem was in 1991. After a game at Yankee Stadium, we drove down Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. on our way to a meeting in mid-town Manhattan with Jim Evans, who had called the plate that night. He did a pretty good job. (grin)

My last time was in 2005. My oldest son lives near there. Bill Clinton's offices are there. You'd be surprised at the difference since 1991. The racist stereotype doesn't fit.

4. I was last in Mississippi in 1960, registering black (we called them Negroes in those days) voters for the Kennedy/Nixon presidential election. We hoped most would vote for Kennedy. Perhaps they did, but Sen. Harry Byrd of Virginia, a segregationist Democrat, won Mississippi's eight electoral votes.

I'm proud you were there. I was but a mere child and only beginning to understand what I was hearing of those events.

5. Facts are not racist. There is plenty of crack in Harlem. And Houston. And Los Angeles. And even Seattle.

I never said facts are racist. I attempted to imply that suppostions are racist. Assumption of facts not in evidence based on race is racist. And, I believe, (I'm too busy with class to look it up right now) I said that the poster appeared racist. Based on what I have said above, I stand by that.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

That bears repeating 91 of THOSE USING COCAINE...not, 91% of the population uses cocaine. By the way, Spokaen is 94% Caucasion.

And, I believe, (I'm too busy with class to look it up right now) I said that the poster appeared racist. Based on what I have said above, I stand by that.
Garth:

Now I think you'll admit you're over-reacting, finding racism where none existed. PWL's entire post heads this message: The "moon" he's referring to is my derrière; he's assuming that with age, one's butt cracks. I'm told that's not true of mine. (grin)

Yes, nobody thought I implied that 91% of the population of East Harlem smoked crack cocaine. But, let's extrapolate here:

On December 31, 2004, there were 2,135,901 prisoners in state and federal penitentiaries. Of those, 21% were drug related; that's more than 400,000 druggies.

Here's are some other facts: At year end 2004 there were 3,218 black male sentenced prison inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,220 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 463 white male inmates per 100,000 white males. (Prison Census)

Blacks make up 12.1 percent of our population; hispanics, 12.5. (US Census Bureau)

But of the two million prisoners, roughly 50% are black. (Manning Marable, Professor of History and Political Science, and the Director of the Institute for Research in African-American Studies, Columbia University.)

We all know the myriad reasons for the high concentration of blacks in prison; i.e., ease of conviction, poverty, despair, joblessness. We also know that the vast majority of crimes by blacks are committeed against blacks. There's no need for whites to arm themselves against African-Americans.

All I'm saying is: Extrapolation from every statistic I can find,

there's a lot crack in Harlem.

Also: PWL may be racist. But one can't tell from what he said.

At a Martin Luther King memorial service recently, a black professor wanted to show that everyone in the United States is racist in one way or another.

Paraphrasing: Imagine you're a white person walking alone in the inner city after midnight. You see approaching you a band of five blacks dressed in hip/hop style. What goes through your mind?

Now, imagine you're a black person and the same thing happens to you.

I'll tell you what went through my mind:

a. I don't have any business out alone after midnight in a big city, regardless of what color I am.

b. The same fear that would cross my mind (white/blacks approaching) is the same fear I would feel if five whites, hip/hop guys were showing up. That's because:

c. People out that late are up to no good, regardless of their race. And if that's so...

d. What store was I headed to burgle?

I think, pending more evidence, you've misjudged PWL.

See, he was making a crack (pun intended) about me. I'm the one who should be p1ssed. (grin)
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Garth:

Now I think you'll admit you're over-reacting, finding racism where none existed.

It's really quite simple, Carl. The poster used a black stereotype for humor. I said that appeared racist. I don't feel that is over-reacting. I feel the same way about all race-based humor.

As for your statistics....unemployment is higher for blacks than whites. Does that excuse stereotypical humor based on blacks being lazy or shiftless?

Texas is among five states that lead the nation in dropout rates. ("Locating the Drop Out Crisis", John Hopkins University 2004) Does this justify humor based on dumb Texans? Okay, maybe that one does.

I think those using race stereotypes as humor present the appearance of ignorance or racism. In PWL's case you might be right. Perhaps it isn't racism.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

Garth:

Now I think you'll admit you're over-reacting, finding racism where none existed.

It's really quite simple, Carl. The poster used a black stereotype for humor. I said that appeared racist. I don't feel that is over-reacting. I feel the same way about all race-based humor.

As for your statistics....unemployment is higher for blacks than whites. Does that excuse stereotypical humor based on blacks being lazy or shiftless?

Texas is among five states that lead the nation in dropout rates. ("Locating the Drop Out Crisis", John Hopkins University 2004) Does this justify humor based on dumb Texans? Okay, maybe that one does.

I think those using race stereotypes as humor present the appearance of ignorance or racism. In PWL's case you might be right. Perhaps it isn't racism.
I take it you don't watch the black comedians on HBO.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

I live in a nation where the largest selling "rap" artist is white and the best golfer is black.

Go figger!

T
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I live in a nation where the largest selling "rap" artist is white and the best golfer is black.

Go figger!

T
And ain't that great?

Tiger once described his ethnicity thus: "My father is half-black, one-quarter American Indian and one-quarter white. My mother is half-Thai, half-Chinese. I consider myself multi-racial, a "Caublinasian."

Colin Powell, the son of multi-racial Jamaican immigrants, responded: "In America, which I love from the depths of my heart and soul, when you look like me, you're black."

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 7th, 2005 at 01:00 PM]
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Garth:

I take it you don't watch the black comedians on HBO.
That's a whole 'nother onion with many, many layers. Best saved for another time.