The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
I'm certain to get plenty of flak about this play from yesterday's select 18u tournament game:
R1 only, stealing. He beats the throw easily as the ball hits the dirt well in front of the base. But I can't find it. The runner stands up, then flips the ball to the second baseman, who throws it to the pitcher.
"Did you catch the ball?" I ask the runner. Says the fielder: "No, he just picked it up and handed it to me." Said I to the runner: "Son, don't do that." Said he: "Oh, I wouldn't do that in a real game, Carl."

I pointed to the plate umpire. He pointed to the pitcher and said "Play." Of course, the ball was still alive as far as I was concerned.

The defensive coach yelled: "I wish he was on my team!"

I'd be interested in your comments as long as they are not profane.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Genie says: You only have two wishes left.

These are our future leaders.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Carl,

Judging from the way you've described the play, I would have done the same thing. Playing action was relaxed and no advantage was gained. It sounds like R1 had already legally obtained second, so it's not like they were going to make another play on him.

Tim.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

As someone (Jim Booth?) has said, "It's only interference if there's a play to be interfered with." (or something like that)

In your example, the play was over. No interference.

Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Wink

Carl, what type of cup do you wear on the bases?

As to the play, I have no interference.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
I'm certain to get plenty of flak about this play from yesterday's select 18u tournament game:
R1 only, stealing. He beats the throw easily as the ball hits the dirt well in front of the base. But I can't find it. The runner stands up, then flips the ball to the second baseman, who throws it to the pitcher.
"Did you catch the ball?" I ask the runner. Says the fielder: "No, he just picked it up and handed it to me." Said I to the runner: "Son, don't do that." Said he: "Oh, I wouldn't do that in a real game, Carl."

I pointed to the plate umpire. He pointed to the pitcher and said "Play." Of course, the ball was still alive as far as I was concerned.

Interesting that an u18 tournament game is not a "real game".
The player presumes that "real" baseball is interscholastic competition in the spring or American Legion in the summer.

A runner in foul territory in the Pioneer League picked up a foul ball that had stopped rolling and threw it back to the pitcher. The defensive coach protested when the umpire did not call out the runner. The president of the league upheld the protest.

Perhaps that is the issue.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting that an u18 tournament game is not a "real game". I fail to see any issues here.
The player presumes that "real" baseball is interscholastic competition in the spring or American Legion in the summer.

A runner in foul territory in the Pioneer League picked up a foul ball that had stopped rolling and threw it back to the pitcher. The defensive coach protested when the umpire did not call out the runner. The president of the league upheld the protest.

Perhaps that is the issue.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RPatrino

Bob
Bob: Don't be so funny. In a three-man crew a pick-off throw from a senior pitcher who regularly hits the 90s went off F3's mitt and hit just to the right of the shin on my right leg.

I was released from Home Nursing Care last Thursday, after four months of wound dressing.

My doctor has said she won't be responsible unless I wear shin guards on the bases did it once, and nobody said anything.

They don't say anything when I start in B either. They're just happy to have someone with my expertise on their field. (grin)

Oh, a junior college coach about six or seven years ago said something like: "What the hell are you doing starting in B?"

I said: "Umpire are you?

He said: "Yes. With nobody on...."

I said: "With nobody on, I start where you stop after you have pivoted into the infield. Think about it!"

At the end of the game, he said: "I'm gonna try it. It worked for you."

I never heard back from him. Likely, his association fired him. After all, according to some people on The Forum if you coach and umpire, the coach-half rules and you are a rat!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RPatrino

Bob
Bob: Don't be so funny. In a three-man crew a pick-off throw from a senior pitcher who regularly hits the 90s went off F3's mitt and hit just to the right of the shin on my right leg.

I was released from Home Nursing Care last Thursday, after four months of wound dressing.

My doctor has said she won't be responsible unless I wear shin guards on the bases I did it once, and nobody said anything.

They don't say anything when I start in B either. They're just happy to have someone with my expertise on their field. (grin)

Oh, a junior college coach about six or seven years ago said something like: "What the hell are you doing starting in B?"

I said: "Umpire are you?

He said: "Yes. With nobody on...."

I said: "With nobody on, I start where you stop after you have pivoted into the infield. Think about it!"

At the end of the game, he said: "I'm gonna try it. It worked for you."

I never heard back from him. Likely, his association fired him. After all, according to some people on The Forum if you coach and umpire, the coach-half rules and you are a rat!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Interesting that an u18 tournament game is not a "real game".

Perhaps that is the issue. [/B][/QUOTE]
Did the umpire call the ball foul yet? Prez' can do as they wish but gee whiz, that's a stretch if we have a dead ball, if not, then R deserves to be called out (even if he is being a sweet boy).

"Nice as rice will get you diced". -Chinese baseball player circa 2004 4Q [/B][/QUOTE]Ok, I suppose I wasn't clear. The ball had stopped rolling and was obviously, clearly foul. In my system of mechanics, we don't yell "Foul" unless runners are moving and the umpire's opinion is needed.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 09:13pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
My doctor has said she won't be responsible unless I wear shin guards on the bases did it once, and nobody said anything.
[/B]
You DID wear them on the INSIDE of your pants, didn't you?

JJ
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Quote:
You DID wear them on the INSIDE of your pants, didn't you?

JJ [/B]
I was always told to wear them inside the pants when I was calling the plate. You mean I should wear them inside on the bases as well?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
after a long abscence...Papa C, I got nothing. I think you got it right.

Pioneer League is PRO ball. We ain't pro-ball umpires. If this was a real game, I MIGHT pick this booger, but I better be convinced that there was interference in some way.

From your description, I don't have anything worth pickin'.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Foul ball, dead ball

Carl Childress- I might be missing something but why can't a runner or offensive player pick up a foul ball? They are taught to lead off in foul territory when on third- if they get hit it doesn't matter. Batters pick up foul balls and had them to the catcher all of the time. I've seen that in the pros. If the ball is foul it is dead. Unless it is really close and the runner one hop snags it before you make the call, the blame lies with the umpire not the player. We make the standard foul call with the uprised arms as you do. I've seen plenty of coaches argue that an umpire has raised his arms but not said a thing on a foul ball. They want the ball dead. The pros do this mechanic too. It sounds like that league administrator had a case of the needtojustifyhisjobitis. That's just my 2cents, so if it isn't worth much, I admit it. Thanks for reading this.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Foul ball, dead ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete in AZ
Carl Childress- I might be missing something but why can't a runner or offensive player pick up a foul ball? They are taught to lead off in foul territory when on third- if they get hit it doesn't matter. Batters pick up foul balls and had them to the catcher all of the time. I've seen that in the pros. If the ball is foul it is dead. Unless it is really close and the runner one hop snags it before you make the call, the blame lies with the umpire not the player. We make the standard foul call with the uprised arms as you do. I've seen plenty of coaches argue that an umpire has raised his arms but not said a thing on a foul ball. They want the ball dead. The pros do this mechanic too. It sounds like that league administrator had a case of the needtojustifyhisjobitis. That's just my 2cents, so if it isn't worth much, I admit it. Thanks for reading this.
Pete: I agree with you. But the president of the Pioneer League did not.

I said we shouldn't go to war in Iraq. The President said we should.

But when the ball is OBVIOUSLY foul, we don't raise our hands. For example, the batter fouls the ball straight back to the backstop. Do you raise your hands and say: "Foul"?

The batter fouls the ball over the first-base dugout and into the stands. Do you raise your hands and say: "Foul"?

The batter bunts the ball toward third. It comes to a stop about fifteen feet from the foul line. Do you raise your hands and say: "Foul"?

In our games, when the ball is foul with no possibility of becoming fair, I don't care if Golum picks it up.