The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Runner catches throw (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/23475-runner-catches-throw.html)

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 06:37am

I'm certain to get plenty of flak about this play from yesterday's select 18u tournament game:<blockquote>R1 only, stealing. He beats the throw easily as the ball hits the dirt well in front of the base. But I can't find it. The <i>runner</i> stands up, then flips the ball to the second baseman, who throws it to the pitcher.</blockquote>"Did you catch the ball?" I ask the runner. Says the fielder: "No, he just picked it up and handed it to me." Said I to the runner: "Son, don't do that." Said he: "Oh, I wouldn't do that in a real game, Carl."

I pointed to the plate umpire. He pointed to the pitcher and said "Play." Of course, the ball was still alive as far as I was concerned.

The defensive coach yelled: "I wish he was on my team!"

I'd be interested in your comments as long as they are not profane.

WhatWuzThatBlue Mon Dec 05, 2005 06:45am

Genie says: You only have two wishes left.

These are our future leaders.

BigUmp56 Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:42am

Carl,

Judging from the way you've described the play, I would have done the same thing. Playing action was relaxed and no advantage was gained. It sounds like R1 had already legally obtained second, so it's not like they were going to make another play on him.

Tim.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 05, 2005 09:16am

As someone (Jim Booth?) has said, "It's only interference if there's a play to be interfered with." (or something like that)

In your example, the play was over. No interference.

RPatrino Mon Dec 05, 2005 06:56pm

Carl, what type of cup do you wear on the bases?

As to the play, I have no interference.

Bob

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Childress
I'm certain to get plenty of flak about this play from yesterday's select 18u tournament game:<blockquote>R1 only, stealing. He beats the throw easily as the ball hits the dirt well in front of the base. But I can't find it. The <i>runner</i> stands up, then flips the ball to the second baseman, who throws it to the pitcher.</blockquote>"Did you catch the ball?" I ask the runner. Says the fielder: "No, he just picked it up and handed it to me." Said I to the runner: "Son, don't do that." Said he: "Oh, I wouldn't do that in a real game, Carl."

I pointed to the plate umpire. He pointed to the pitcher and said "Play." Of course, the ball was still alive as far as I was concerned.

Interesting that an u18 tournament game is not a "real game".

The player presumes that "real" baseball is interscholastic competition in the spring or American Legion in the summer.

A runner in foul territory in the Pioneer League picked up a foul ball that had stopped rolling and threw it back to the pitcher. The defensive coach protested when the umpire did not call out the runner. The president of the league upheld the protest.

Perhaps <i>that</i> is the issue.

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:14pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting that an u18 tournament game is not a "real game". I fail to see any issues here.

The player presumes that "real" baseball is interscholastic competition in the spring or American Legion in the summer.

A runner in foul territory in the Pioneer League picked up a foul ball that had stopped rolling and threw it back to the pitcher. The defensive coach protested when the umpire did not call out the runner. The president of the league upheld the protest.

Perhaps <i>that</i> is the issue.

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by RPatrino

Bob

Bob: Don't be so funny. In a three-man crew a pick-off throw from a senior pitcher who regularly hits the 90s went off F3's mitt and hit just to the right of the shin on my right leg.

I was released from Home Nursing Care last Thursday, after four months of wound dressing.

My doctor has said she won't be responsible unless I wear shin guards <i>on the bases</I> did it once, and nobody said anything.

They don't say anything when I start in B either. They're just happy to have someone with my expertise on their field. (grin)

Oh, a junior college coach about six or seven years ago said something like: "What the hell are you doing starting in B?"

I said: "Umpire are you?

He said: "Yes. With nobody on...."

I said: "With nobody on, I <i>start</i> where you <i>stop</i> after you have pivoted into the infield. Think about it!"

At the end of the game, he said: "I'm gonna try it. It worked for you."

I never heard back from him. Likely, his association fired him. After all, according to some people on The Forum if you coach <i>and</i> umpire, the coach-half rules and you are a rat!

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:25pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by RPatrino

Bob

Bob: Don't be so funny. In a three-man crew a pick-off throw from a senior pitcher who regularly hits the 90s went off F3's mitt and hit just to the right of the shin on my right leg.

I was released from Home Nursing Care last Thursday, after four months of wound dressing.

My doctor has said she won't be responsible unless I wear shin guards <i>on the bases</I> I did it once, and nobody said anything.

They don't say anything when I start in B either. They're just happy to have someone with my expertise on their field. (grin)

Oh, a junior college coach about six or seven years ago said something like: "What the hell are you doing starting in B?"

I said: "Umpire are you?

He said: "Yes. With nobody on...."

I said: "With nobody on, I <i>start</i> where you <i>stop</i> after you have pivoted into the infield. Think about it!"

At the end of the game, he said: "I'm gonna try it. It worked for you."

I never heard back from him. Likely, his association fired him. After all, according to some people on The Forum if you coach <i>and</i> umpire, the coach-half rules and you are a rat!

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 07:28pm

Quote:

Interesting that an u18 tournament game is not a "real game".

Perhaps <i>that</i> is the issue. [/B][/QUOTE]
Did the umpire call the ball foul yet? Prez' can do as they wish but gee whiz, that's a stretch if we have a dead ball, if not, then R deserves to be called out (even if he is being a sweet boy).

"Nice as rice will get you diced". -Chinese baseball player circa 2004 4Q [/B][/QUOTE]Ok, I suppose I wasn't clear. The ball had stopped rolling and was obviously, clearly foul. In my system of mechanics, we don't yell "Foul" unless runners are moving and the umpire's opinion is needed.

JJ Mon Dec 05, 2005 09:13pm

Quote:

My doctor has said she won't be responsible unless I wear shin guards <i>on the bases</I> did it once, and nobody said anything.
[/B]
You DID wear them on the INSIDE of your pants, didn't you?
;)
JJ

Carl Childress Mon Dec 05, 2005 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JJ
Quote:

You DID wear them on the INSIDE of your pants, didn't you?
;)
JJ [/B]
I was always told to wear them inside the pants when I was calling the plate. You mean I should wear them inside on the bases as well?

jumpmaster Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:03pm

after a long abscence...Papa C, I got nothing. I think you got it right.

Pioneer League is PRO ball. We ain't pro-ball umpires. If this was a real game, I MIGHT pick this booger, but I better be convinced that there was interference in some way.

From your description, I don't have anything worth pickin'.

Pete in AZ Tue Dec 06, 2005 06:40am

Foul ball, dead ball

Carl Childress- I might be missing something but why can't a runner or offensive player pick up a foul ball? They are taught to lead off in foul territory when on third- if they get hit it doesn't matter. Batters pick up foul balls and had them to the catcher all of the time. I've seen that in the pros. If the ball is foul it is dead. Unless it is really close and the runner one hop snags it before you make the call, the blame lies with the umpire not the player. We make the standard foul call with the uprised arms as you do. I've seen plenty of coaches argue that an umpire has raised his arms but not said a thing on a foul ball. They want the ball dead. The pros do this mechanic too. It sounds like that league administrator had a case of the needtojustifyhisjobitis. That's just my 2cents, so if it isn't worth much, I admit it. Thanks for reading this.

Carl Childress Tue Dec 06, 2005 06:58am

Re: Foul ball, dead ball

Quote:

Originally posted by Pete in AZ
Carl Childress- I might be missing something but why can't a runner or offensive player pick up a foul ball? They are taught to lead off in foul territory when on third- if they get hit it doesn't matter. Batters pick up foul balls and had them to the catcher all of the time. I've seen that in the pros. If the ball is foul it is dead. Unless it is really close and the runner one hop snags it before you make the call, the blame lies with the umpire not the player. We make the standard foul call with the uprised arms as you do. I've seen plenty of coaches argue that an umpire has raised his arms but not said a thing on a foul ball. They want the ball dead. The pros do this mechanic too. It sounds like that league administrator had a case of the needtojustifyhisjobitis. That's just my 2cents, so if it isn't worth much, I admit it. Thanks for reading this.
Pete: I agree with you. But the president of the Pioneer League did not.

I said we shouldn't go to war in Iraq. The President said we should.

But when the ball is OBVIOUSLY foul, we don't raise our hands. For example, the batter fouls the ball straight back to the backstop. Do you raise your hands and say: "Foul"?

The batter fouls the ball over the first-base dugout and into the stands. Do you raise your hands and say: "Foul"?

The batter bunts the ball toward third. It comes to a stop about fifteen feet from the foul line. Do you raise your hands and say: "Foul"?

In our games, when the ball is foul with no possibility of becoming fair, I don't care if Golum picks it up.