View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
1) F6 is not blocking the bag, he is straddling it awaiting a throw. I am assuming he is straddling it such that the base can be reached by R1 since I can't picture F6 straddling the bag with his left foot in the baseline between 1st and 2nd since he would be facing 3rd and in no position to make a tag. Therefore no obstruction regardless of whether he has the ball.
The entire base belongs to the baserunner, including the air space above it. If the fielder is straddling the base without the ball, and alters the path of the runner in any way, it is obstruction. F6 doesn't necessarily have to be blocking the ground between 1st and 2nd, in order to have obstruction. Let's say R1 is stealing, but it's a passed ball, and F6 is straddling the base. R1 wants to continue on to 3B, but has to slow down, or bumps into F6, as he is trying to touch 2B on his way to 3rd. That would clearly be obstruction, right? Any alteration of the runners progress is obstruction. In OBR, there is wiggle room if the fielder is in the act of receiving the throw, but not under NCAA rules, which are apparently being used by Legion ball.
Cite a reference please, because this is the first time I have heard that the entire bag, including the air above it belongs to the runner. Let's take the original situation before we tackle your new case. R1 is stealling so his intent is not go to 3b. If the ball gets by F6 and into CF and contact is made at 2B you "could: rule obstruction, if you think the contact prevented the runner from making it to 3B. But I don't know too many runners who would attempt 3b on the play with our without contact, and fewere umpires who would "award" 3b on this play. Now, for your new play, the ball gets by F2, F6 is stradding the bag diagonally such that half the bag is available for the runner to touch on his way to 3b, but he hesitates at 2b and then is thrown out at 3b (logical conclusion whether he hesitated or not). You will award 3b due to your "sky theory"? Let me give another play, R1, and pitcher tries to pick him off. 1B man has his right foot on the corner of the bag nearest the pitcher (RH 1b man), R1 slides back head first with his right hand sliding into F3's foot. Although he had more than 3/4 of the bag he could have dived back to, he dives back to the 1/4 he can't reach due to F3's foot. So you award him 2B due to your "sky theory"?

If the base is easily touchable, it's not obstructed.

[Edited by DG on Nov 19th, 2005 at 04:39 PM]