Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
Now if this happened on a force play, you MAY have a violation, if you judged the runner interfered with the catch. Otherwise you have two people showing at the same spot on the field and it is , what it is.
You WILL have a violation. FPSR requires the runner to slide legally or avoid the fielder on a force play, which he did neither. Double play under FPSR.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Now if this happened on a force play, you MAY have a violation, if you judged the runner interfered with the catch. Otherwise you have two people showing at the same spot on the field and it is , what it is.
You WILL have a violation. FPSR requires the runner to slide legally or avoid the fielder on a force play, which he did neither. Double play under FPSR.
This may be straight forward if the F6 had received the ball and is in the act of throwing, but remember that didn't happen here. Both players were at the bag at the same time and the fielder was waiting to receive the throw.

I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
This may be straight forward if the F6 had received the ball and is in the act of throwing, but remember that didn't happen here. Both players were at the bag at the same time and the fielder was waiting to receive the throw.

I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation.
The runner does not slide or avoid, ie he went in standing up and made contact with F6, that's textbook FPSR, if force was in effect.

[Edited by DG on Nov 20th, 2005 at 03:47 PM]
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:

The runner does not slide or avoid, ie he went in standing up and made contact with F6, that's textbook FPSR, if force was in effect.

[Edited by DG on Nov 20th, 2005 at 03:47 PM]
I did, and I will stiil stick with my original statement, I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/B]
I did, and I will stiil stick with my original statement, I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation. [/B][/QUOTE]R1 does not even have to touch F6. If F6 is at the bag to receive a force throw and R1 comes in standing up, then FPSR results in 2 outs. If F6 has already made the catch and is 5 feet from the bag toward LF to make the throw to 1b, then you might get by with not calling FPSR if R1 is coming into 2B standing up, since he is "avoiding". Slide or avoid, that's the choices.

[Edited by DG on Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:22 PM]
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
I did, and I will stiil stick with my original statement, I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation. [/B]
R1 does not even have to touch F6. If F6 is at the bag to receive a force throw and R1 comes in standing up, then FPSR results in 2 outs. If F6 has already made the catch and is 5 feet from the bag toward LF to make the throw to 1b, then you might get by with not calling FPSR if R1 is coming into 2B standing up, since he is "avoiding". Slide or avoid, that's the choices.

[Edited by DG on Nov 20th, 2005 at 10:22 PM] [/B][/QUOTE]

Your serious right?

R1 gets to the bag before F6 even gets the ball and your calling him out on the FPSR because he is not sliding. I'm not sure what your reading here. But that was the play.

I could agree with you if F6 received the ball and R1 comes in standing up directly to the bag.

But I guess you have your own style?????
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

The timing of everything that occurs here is key, IMHO. Runner gets to the base and contacts the fielder waiting for the ball. A runner on his base is protected from all but intentional interference. The fielder can not be in a position to cause contact without the ball. That's NCAA obstruction, also a delayed dead ball.

Soooo, we are going to award the runner second base. Big whup (unless the ball goes off into a gap and the runner could have reached third).

In NFHS, the fielder could be judged to be in the immediate act of fielding the throw. The runner and fielder are both where they need to be and the runner got there first. I've got nothing if the runner stays there and, potentially, obstruction (with an award of third base) if the ball goes into CF and the runner gets tied up trying to reach third.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

"R1 moving on the pitch; B1 hist to the shortstop, who tries - not in time - for the out at second. The second baseman throws the ball to first, after which R1 pops-up on teh base, jostling the fielder. Ruling: Though the contact occurred after the throw and did not alter the play, it resulted from an illegal slide: Both R1 and B1 are out."

Coming in standing up is not a legal slide for FPSR. Slide or avoid, these are legal. Pop-up slide is not legal either.

You apparently don't call the FPSR according to rule, but according to your own mis-interpretation. You may not like the rule, but it is the rule.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
"R1 moving on the pitch; B1 hist to the shortstop, who tries - not in time - for the out at second. The second baseman throws the ball to first, after which R1 pops-up on teh base, jostling the fielder. Ruling: Though the contact occurred after the throw and did not alter the play, it resulted from an illegal slide: Both R1 and B1 are out."

Coming in standing up is not a legal slide for FPSR. Slide or avoid, these are legal. Pop-up slide is not legal either.

You apparently don't call the FPSR according to rule, but according to your own mis-interpretation. You may not like the rule, but it is the rule.
DG your popup example may be good for proving YOUR point however, it has nothing to do with this situation.

Coming in standing up is not a legal or illegal slide, in fact it is not a slide at all. But it is allowed. See 8.4.2b note. "runners are never required to slide". And the runner must get to the bag, in order to be safe.

So if the runner legally goes to the bag standing up and the fielder is unable to catch a throw because of it, I'm not punishing R1 unless he intentionally interfers with that catch. I suppose you would call a DP if the ball hit the runner who is standing on the bag along with the fielder, also.

It is apparent, that you OVERcall the FPSR because of some interpretation, only you understand. Stick with the play at hand and quit trying to just win a discussion.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

the runner contacted the fielder who's trying to field the ball for the DP by going into the base standing up.... sounds like a FPSR violation to me.... you can't interfere with the pivot man catching or throwing the ball...
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
the runner contacted the fielder who's trying to field the ball for the DP by going into the base standing up.... sounds like a FPSR violation to me.... you can't interfere with the pivot man catching or throwing the ball...
It is quite evident here that many of you just plainly , can't read.

I will stiil stick with my original statement, I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

check out this video posted by the NCAA. The last segment shows proper inforcement of the FPSR.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/baseb...5/20050513.wmv

Bossman, was your play similar to this??
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
check out this video posted by the NCAA. The last segment shows proper inforcement of the FPSR.

1. I won't disagree that this is interference. He clearly interfered with the fielder while arriving at the bag the same time the fielder did and the ball

2. In our play the fielder was straddling the bag waiting for the throw.

Once again, I think it's probably the fifth time, I will still stick with my original statement, I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

1. I won't disagree that this is interference. He clearly interfered with the fielder while arriving at the bag the same time the fielder did and the ball

Once again, I think it's probably the fifth time, I will still stick with my original statement, I would most likely have to see this, before I WOULD flat out say it was a violation.
Most F6 will straddle the bag waiting for a throw from F2 on a steal. I don't know why you expect him not to do so. The FPSR says he must slide or avoid.

From the American Legion Rules book;

"Clarification 1 If a runner goes into a base standing up and does not make contact or alter the play of the defensive player, interference shall not be called"

In the case at hand the runner did contact F6 and did alter the play. Had this been a force situation (the original post was not) then it's a textbook FPSR situation. Stand by your original interpretation and take the heat you are sure to get. You clearly don't understand FPSR.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:

Most F6 will straddle the bag waiting for a throw from F2 on a steal. I don't know why you expect him not to do so. The FPSR says he must slide or avoid.

From the American Legion Rules book;

"Clarification 1 If a runner goes into a base standing up and does not make contact or alter the play of the defensive player, interference shall not be called"

In the case at hand the runner did contact F6 and did alter the play. Had this been a force situation (the original post was not) then it's a textbook FPSR situation. Stand by your original interpretation and take the heat you are sure to get. You clearly don't understand FPSR.
Dear Mr. Expert

Bite Me