Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Hey WhatWuz,

I was there in the outfield bleachers when Garvey won Game 4, so if I want to refer back to these wonderful memories, I will. The sweetest sound was Jerry Coleman's "Ground ball to Nettles, to Wiggins, and the Padres have the National League Pennant! Oh, Doctor!" Some memories last forever, as Geddy Lee would say.

The sweetest sounds I ever heard were my children's first cries. I guess we have different priorities.

It sounds like you peaked twenty years ago. The last time I checked, Gordon wasn't a member of the Cubs, so asking him "when the last time you losers were in the NLCS" seems really silly. By the way, the Cubs were in the NLCS against Florida when the Bartman episode happened. I could take a couple of easy shots at you too, but making you look bad would be redundant.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
Yo Gordo,

I'll tell you what's pathetic.....still hearing how Bartman ruined it for you and he wasn't the only one going for the ball. Even the Astro fans got out of the way of Uribe

1. Ball in the stands spectators have the right of way. Bartman thing way over played. The guy does not repeat does not deserve the grief that he received. It's the medias fault for blowing this out of proportion. If you watched the game it and know anything about baseball it was Alex Rodriguez booting the DP grounder that opened the flood gates.

2. Fans should have tackled Uribe to keep him from making a play. I gurantee that would have happened at the Cell if Everett was going for the ball.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey WhatWuz,

I was there in the outfield bleachers when Garvey won Game 4, so if I want to refer back to these wonderful memories, I will. The sweetest sound was Jerry Coleman's "Ground ball to Nettles, to Wiggins, and the Padres have the National League Pennant! Oh, Doctor!" Some memories last forever, as Geddy Lee would say.
Who's Jerry Coleman? I guess some memories don't last forever.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:26am

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Hey WhatWuz,

If you are ignorant enough not to know who Jerry Coleman is, then try looking in the Baseball Hall Of Fame, located in Cooperstown, New York.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:41am

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Quote:
Hey WhatWuz,

The sweetest sounds I ever heard were my children's first cries. I guess we have different priorities.

It sounds like you peaked twenty years ago. The last time I checked, Gordon wasn't a member of the Cubs, so asking him "when the last time you losers were in the NLCS" seems really silly. By the way, the Cubs were in the NLCS against Florida when the Bartman episode happened. I could take a couple of easy shots at you too, but making you look bad would be redundant.
Sorry, you have a very forgetable baseball team.

We were talking about baseball, not babies. You are comparing apples and cubbies.

As far as peaking twenty years ago, what the hell are you babbling about? What does making a reference to a moment in history have to do with "peaking". You are the idiot everyone here thinks you are. Cheap shot away, dufus.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey WhatWuz,

If you are ignorant enough not to know who Jerry Coleman is, then try looking in the Baseball Hall Of Fame, located in Cooperstown, New York.
I see you mean Jerry Coleman (not Coleman's sounds like he is playing) Broadcasting the game. Groundball to Nettles (playing first base) to Wiggins (playing second base) I think you mean ground ball to Wiggins (playing second) to Nettles (playing first) game over.

I guess some memories don't last forever.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

As I'm sitting here watching the ticker-tape parade on Lasalle in Chicago I realized that the race is over.

What I mean is that there are only 2 cities with more than 1 baseball team. The Mets unfortunately will always be behind the Yanks because the Yanks have won a lot over the years. The difference in Chicago is that BOTH teams have been terrible for many, many years. Here is my analgy to a race. For all these years the Cubs have been the hare...flashy and getting all the attention and the Sox have been the tortoise...subdued yet determined.

Well, we all knew who won and as a Sox fan that's the best feeling in the world. We beat the Cubs to the punch and even though they have been getting all the attention it's now our turn. I would've been ticked if the Cubs won first but that didn't happen.

I now live in Arizona and when I tell people where I'm from they say "Cubs fan eh?".

Redemption is oh so sweet!!
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I'm sitting here watching the ticker-tape parade on Lasalle in Chicago I realized that the race is over.

What I mean is that there are only 2 cities with more than 1 baseball team. The Mets unfortunately will always be behind the Yanks because the Yanks have won a lot over the years. The difference in Chicago is that BOTH teams have been terrible for many, many years. Here is my analgy to a race. For all these years the Cubs have been the hare...flashy and getting all the attention and the Sox have been the tortoise...subdued yet determined.

Well, we all knew who won and as a Sox fan that's the best feeling in the world. We beat the Cubs to the punch and even though they have been getting all the attention it's now our turn. I would've been ticked if the Cubs won first but that didn't happen.

I now live in Arizona and when I tell people where I'm from they say "Cubs fan eh?".

Redemption is oh so sweet!!
Oh so typical Sox Fan. More worried about the Cubs than their own team. I'm a Cub fan and not a Sox fan. Jealous and envious right now? You betcha. I always like to see friends and acquaintances do well and now is no exception. I'm happy for them their team won. I can only imagine the feeling.

Second home game 2006 season who will have the higher paid attendance? 99.9% sure the Cubs will sell out and that's what drives Sox Fans crazy. Tis now and ever will be as long as the Cubs play at Wrigley!!!!!!!
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Oh so typical Cubs fan...bringing up how many more fans will show up at Wrigley as opposed to Comiskey. Last year and every typical year before that I would have to agree but did you see the game Wednesday?? They won. Are you sure that will be the same for next year? This has never happened in any of our lifetimes. How can you be so sure?

Like I said before, if what you say is true then you and all the envious fans on the north side will just have to wait till next, next year. Cuz, all the fat cats at the Trib are just sitting back and laughing at all those fans who show up for the atmosphere and not a game. Why shell out more money when the fans like the ballpark more than the team????????
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh so typical Cubs fan...bringing up how many more fans will show up at Wrigley as opposed to Comiskey. Last year and every typical year before that I would have to agree but did you see the game Wednesday?? They won. Are you sure that will be the same for next year? This has never happened in any of our lifetimes. How can you be so sure?

Like I said before, if what you say is true then you and all the envious fans on the north side will just have to wait till next, next year. Cuz, all the fat cats at the Trib are just sitting back and laughing at all those fans who show up for the atmosphere and not a game. Why shell out more money when the fans like the ballpark more than the team????????
Like I said nothing drives a Sox fan crazier than the local and national following that the Cubs have. It's no question the charm and atmosphere at Wrigley is the reason for the Cubs popularity. I'm sure if the Sox played at Wrigley they would out draw the Cubs. Incidently the Cubs spent about $100 million on payroll. Poorly spent you're probably correct.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

The White Sox won for a really simple reason.

They are the best team in baseball.

They don't have the best individual players, but without a doubt Ozzie has developed them into the best TEAM. Even Frank Thomas, on the outside looking in, has started to actually sound human lately.

Way to go, Sox. Congratulations!

11-1 in the playoffs!

Keep the teamwork going and you've only seen the beginning of a multi-year run, maybe not to world champions every year, but certainly well into the playoffs.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

From San Diego Steve -

"Sorry, you have a very forgetable baseball team.

We were talking about baseball, not babies. You are comparing apples and cubbies.

As far as peaking twenty years ago, what the hell are you babbling about? What does making a reference to a moment in history have to do with "peaking". You are the idiot everyone here thinks you are. Cheap shot away, dufus.:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The Cubs aren't mine. I root for them, but again your judgement is amiss. If they are so forgettable, why is it that the country (not just the north side of Chicago) went crazy at the thought of Boston and Chicago meeting in the Series a couple years ago? There are Chicago Cub fans throughout the US. Retirees take their allegiance along with their belongings to warmer climates. That loyalty was brought about by the Cubbies' heart and futility. They captured the imaginations of little boys and old ladies. The world is waiting for them to shake that monkey off their backs; almost one hundred years by my count.

2) You are the wunderkid that said that the sweetest sound you ever heard was Jerry Coleman. That simply shows your immaturity. For those of us with children and/or grandchildren, your statement shows a lack of judgement. Your words that tripped you up, not mine. When you use superlatives you need to be aware of the ramifications. You've been told that about one hundred billion times, right? (Sweetest is a euphemism for favorite or best, in case you forgot.)

3) Your reference to 1984 was not an allusion to a moment in history. You made a couple of statements that have told us that this was your highlight real. "Peaked" sounds accurate to me. Come to think of it, you sound a lot like DaveinSoCal. Hmmmm?

4) Like I wrote earlier, I don't need to take shots at you. Others seems to be aware that your words do more damage than any of ours.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:16pm

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
From San Diego Steve -

"Sorry, you have a very forgetable baseball team.

As far as peaking twenty years ago, what the hell are you babbling about? What does making a reference to a moment in history have to do with "peaking". You are the idiot everyone here thinks you are. Cheap shot away, dufus.:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The Cubs aren't mine. I root for them, but again your judgement is amiss. If they are so forgettable, why is it that the country (not just the north side of Chicago) went crazy at the thought of Boston and Chicago meeting in the Series a couple years ago? There are Chicago Cub fans throughout the US. Retirees take their allegiance along with their belongings to warmer climates. That loyalty was brought about by the Cubbies' heart and futility. They captured the imaginations of little boys and old ladies. The world is waiting for them to shake that monkey off their backs; almost one hundred years by my count.

2) You are the wunderkid that said that the sweetest sound you ever heard was Jerry Coleman. That simply shows your immaturity. For those of us with children and/or grandchildren, your statement shows a lack of judgement. Your words that tripped you up, not mine. When you use superlatives you need to be aware of the ramifications. You've been told that about one hundred billion times, right? (Sweetest is a euphemism for favorite or best, in case you forgot.)

3) Your reference to 1984 was not an allusion to a moment in history. You made a couple of statements that have told us that this was your highlight real. "Peaked" sounds accurate to me. Come to think of it, you sound a lot like DaveinSoCal. Hmmmm?

4) Like I wrote earlier, I don't need to take shots at you. Others seems to be aware that your words do more damage than any of ours.
Yes, a Boston/Cubs series would have been great, I agree.

If you read my original Jerry Coleman reference, you will see that you have misquoted me. I said the sweetest sound (refering to the subject of the 1984 NLCS) was Jerry Coleman, etc. I never, ever, said it was, as you say "the sweetest sound I ever heard". Do you always misquote people in your takes? My judgement is right on the money. Immature? You gotta be on dope, dude!!!! I have a 27 year old daughter, and the greatest thrill in my life was being in the delivery room for her birth, and cutting her cord, hearing her first cries.

So, since you have misspoken, it appears that your judgement is lacking, not mine.

You Cubs fans, for all your "wait til next year" exuberance, are really, really touchy about the fact that you haven't been to the Big Show in a while.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:29pm

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey WhatWuz,

I see you mean Jerry Coleman (not Coleman's sounds like he is playing) Broadcasting the game. Groundball to Nettles (playing first base) to Wiggins (playing second base) I think you mean ground ball to Wiggins (playing second) to Nettles (playing first) game over.

I guess some memories don't last forever.
Gordon,

I am wondering if you actually saw this game, or were even born yet when it was played!

It was a groundball to Nettles(playing THIRD base, like he played every game that I'm aware of in his career), to Wiggins (playing second base) for the force out that ended the game. Where you came up with a 3-4-3 double play is not only inaccurate, it doesn't make sense either. A 3-6-3 would be much more common.

Jerry Coleman was the second baseman for the Yankees, and left the team during WWII and volunteered to fly combat missions, and become a national hero. He then returned to the Yanks, only to volunteer for the Korean War, to go fly some more combat missions. Oh, later he had a HOF broadcasting career.

My memory is just fine, thank you.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Oct 28th, 2005 at 09:33 PM]
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

From San Diego Steve-

"Yes, a Boston/Cubs series would have been great, I agree.

If you read my original Jerry Coleman reference, you will see that you have misquoted me. I said the sweetest sound (refering to the subject of the 1984 NLCS) was Jerry Coleman, etc. I never, ever, said it was, as you say "the sweetest sound I ever heard". Do you always misquote people in your takes? My judgement is right on the money. Immature? You gotta be on dope, dude!!!! I have a 27 year old daughter, and the greatest thrill in my life was being in the delivery room for her birth, and cutting her cord, hearing her first cries.

So, since you have misspoken, it appears that your judgement is lacking, not mine.

You Cubs fans, for all your "wait til next year" exuberance, are really, really touchy about the fact that you haven't been to the Big Show in a while."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave...is that you? Maturity has little to do with age.