The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Chisox-Angels

Was the 2 out, 3rd strike in the dirt or not?

On the closeup replay, it appeared to me that the ball hit the dirt and bounced up into the mitt.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the replay was inconclusive about whether the ball hit the ground.

But Eddings CLEARLY signaled the strike AND the out. And THEN the catcher rolled the ball in. What was that all about?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
When they blew it up, I thought the catcher trapped the ball. Plate ump's mechanics were awful on that play. They teach us that after the strikeout, you signal the out, then you give 2 emphatic safe signs, signifying the ball hit the dirt. If he'd have done that, none of that would've happened.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

It looked to me that it clearly did NOT hit the ground.

However, Eddings made the out signal so how is the batter not out? To the best of my knowledge, you can't call a batter out and then let him run anyway. Eddings made the delayed dead ball signal, then called him out. I'm very confused by this.

Secondly, why was Rapuano not asked earlier? He is the umpire with the best view so why did it take a second trip from Soscia to get the appeal.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
Edding did put up the out sign,so why he changed the call is beyond me. He believed the batter,instead of himself. You have to play the game assuming the umpires will make 2 mistakes,and if the agels had played better baseball it wouldnt have mattered.

The fact he changed the call after putting the out sign up twice is a little wierd,but it did look like rapuano did point to the dirt,but they should have gotten all the umpires together. who knows,and who really cares. Umpires make mistakes,part of the game. It sucks but it happens.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
no way that hit the dirt. are you guys watching a different game? horrible call. the umpire called him out even though he said he didn't, it clearly showed an out call. or maybe the umpire was just trying to catch a fly.
How are the Yankees doing this playoff season?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpc2119
It looked to me that it clearly did NOT hit the ground.

However, Eddings made the out signal so how is the batter not out? To the best of my knowledge, you can't call a batter out and then let him run anyway. Eddings made the delayed dead ball signal, then called him out. I'm very confused by this.

Secondly, why was Rapuano not asked earlier? He is the umpire with the best view so why did it take a second trip from Soscia to get the appeal.

Thoughts?
That was disgusting for the Angels to lose a game like that. While the plate umpire does not have the benefit of replay nine times out of ten that's an out. However, Josh Paul should have tagged the batter anyways. That crew is going to lose their lunch when they see the replay.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
no way that hit the dirt. are you guys watching a different game? horrible call. the umpire called him out even though he said he didn't, it clearly showed an out call. or maybe the umpire was just trying to catch a fly.
how long did it take you to think of this one? great job.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

the hammer

I was flipping between games and I'm not sure which HP ump was doing this, but one of them uses the hammer in front of his body for his strike mechanic. It looks like most out mechanics, but he uses this for the strike mechanic. That may have been what he was signaling, strike three, not an out.

Eddings will probably have some 'splanin to do. He's got to be feeling nausous, right now. It couldn't have come at a worse time.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SoCalUmp Send a message via Yahoo to SoCalUmp
Quote:
did you guys hear the press conference with the umpires? they are trying to weassel their way out of it. they said the saw the ball "change direction" on the replays. they are so full of it. why dont they just admit they blew it?
THis has to be the dumbest fu**ing post I have ever read. Pull your head out of your @ss and get a clue. Do you really thnk they are going to go out there and say "Hey we f'd up!"???
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well if you watch his strike mechanic all night it was the same all the way to the end.

He signaled that the ball was live first with his right arm extended and then signaled that is was a strike three. I dont think he signaled the third out. He walks on the field and gives the same live ball mechanic.

I think the problem with is mechanic is that he uses the hammer which can be confused with an out signal.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There is one slow motion replay where it DOES look as if the ball changes direction, from the ground up into the glove.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalUmp
Quote:
did you guys hear the press conference with the umpires? they are trying to weassel their way out of it. they said the saw the ball "change direction" on the replays. they are so full of it. why dont they just admit they blew it?
THis has to be the dumbest fu**ing post I have ever read. Pull your head out of your @ss and get a clue. Do you really thnk they are going to go out there and say "Hey we f'd up!"???
are you a big d***k? why wouldn't they istead of dancing around. i'm sure your a great umpire an dont make mistakes, and by the way i have a clue, jerk.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
how long did it take you to think of this one? great job.
Makes my day that $200 million isn't enough to buy a World Series.

The Yankees lose. THHHHHHHEEEEE Yankees lose.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:46pm

On any ball that close to the dirt, where there may be some doubt whether or not Josh Paul caught it, the tag should have been applied, just to be sure. Eddings signaled strike with the hammer, which he uses for all swinging strikes. Eddings, Crawford, and the Supervisor, all are claiming that the replays they have viewed indicate a change of direction, meaning the ball hit the dirt first. This one will be talked about for quite awhile, I fear.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25